Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Tory cronyism

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 03, 2021, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

They seem to have gone quiet on the boundary changes/reduction in MPs, not heard much since the proposed changes were laid out - and, surprise surprise, were drafted with a baked-in Tory majority. But that has to be a big part of their plan to stay in power forever. It's hard to know whether Johnson wants to (or thinks he can) "go on and on" - I'm sure if nothing else he'd like to serve longer than Cameron (six years), but who knows? Outdo Blair (ten years)? Or even the holy grail, the blessed Maggie's eleven years?

Or would he have an ideal exit strategy? It's certain he'll want a peerage even if no PM since Thatcher has had one (yet). And if he makes that a requirement for leaving, what's the betting he'd angle for a hereditary?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on November 05, 2021, 09:26:36 PMOr would he have an ideal exit strategy? It's certain he'll want a peerage even if no PM since Thatcher has had one (yet). And if he makes that a requirement for leaving, what's the betting he'd angle for a hereditary?
I can see him angling for some source of steady income that involves no work, but since when has he given a fuck about his kids? I struggle to imagine by the time his latest meets their fifth birthday he'll have anything to do with them.

jobotic

FBPE types are so fucking stupid.

Now we've stopped Corbyn and any chance of change, and salted the earth, let's unleash the only people that can stop the Tories we put there - other Tories. Squeee!

mothman

I'm overall indifferent to Emma Kennedy, in that I don't utterly loathe her the way many here do. But fuck me those are some completely moronic suggestions.

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 05, 2021, 09:34:20 PM
I can see him angling for some source of steady income that involves no work, but since when has he given a fuck about his kids? I struggle to imagine by the time his latest meets their fifth birthday he'll have anything to do with them.

It's more about the company it puts him in - up there with his beloved Churchill and of course Thatcher, and far better than his hated rival Cameron is ever likely to do.

Rizla

Quote from: mothman on November 05, 2021, 10:06:47 PM
I'm overall indifferent to Emma Kennedy, in that I don't utterly loathe her the way many here do. But fuck me those are some completely moronic suggestions.
It's not so much loathing, it's like, you know sometimes, say, in a in a museum, you get a working model of some piece of machinery, an engine or a mill or something, and they've made the casing transparent so you can watch the mechanism working? She's like that but for centrists.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Rizla on November 05, 2021, 10:16:33 PM
It's not so much loathing, it's like, you know sometimes, say, in a in a museum, you get a working model of some piece of machinery, an engine or a mill or something, and they've made the casing transparent so you can watch the mechanism working? She's like that but for centrists.

Centrism as repeatedly taking a "reasonable" but patently false position then fantasizing about the turn of events that would prove you right. Very popular over the Atlantic with the Naked Mole Rat and Nancy trying to put through their whatever the fuck it is.

Video Game Fan 2000

Rory Stewart is Boris Johnson for people who said "hygge" a lot.

chveik

Johnny Foreigner

The only viable candidate is Jane Churn, the ghost of Wem Town Hall.

WhoMe

John Major really wading into Johnson and his government on Today this morning. Worth a listen

monkfromhavana

What is the tipping point in all of this that gets the press that blindly support the Tories regardless to suddenly start reporting on their sleaze when they've just basically shrugged at the stuff beforehand? If it's just chasing headlines and "setting the news agenda" bollocks, why didn't they just do this at the start? It's not like there are people marching about it and then sniff the wind of change, if they don't report it no-one would give a fuck.

Or have the Tories had their turn and now the powers-that-be feel like it might be worth changing to Labour for a bit?

mothman

Quote from: WhoMe on November 06, 2021, 08:38:15 AM
John Major really wading into Johnson and his government on Today this morning. Worth a listen
I mean, he's not wrong, even if he is a Tory. I often wonder though what Tories think when they hear/read his interventions. Are they as warmly received as the left do with anything Blair says? Lots of sarcastic comments about cones hotlines, that sort of thing?

idunnosomename

using the suicide of his wife to try and excuse himself for being a total rulebreaking greedy cunt is low even for a Tory

steveh

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 06, 2021, 10:08:30 AM
What is the tipping point in all of this that gets the press that blindly support the Tories regardless to suddenly start reporting on their sleaze when they've just basically shrugged at the stuff beforehand?

It comes across like rival newspaper groups all having their own Tories that they're backing largely on account of them having previously worked for them. So The Telegraph will keep on on supporting Boris no matter what, The Times / Sun will always be on Gove's side and The Daily Mail... actually I'm not sure who could currently be considered theirs so maybe that's why they are less supportive.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 06, 2021, 10:31:34 AM
using the suicide of his wife to try and excuse himself for being a total rulebreaking greedy cunt is low even for a Tory

Which was of course caused by the investigation into his actions, not by his actions.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: mothman on November 05, 2021, 10:06:47 PM

I think a lot of #FBPE types were shy Tories until Brexit. They were fine with the years of brutal austerity under Cameron as it didnt affect them. No idea what Kennedy's politics pre 2016 were, it's more a general comment on FBPE types. Most of them seem to be wealthy enough not to be affected by austerity. Basically a load of John Majors.

mothman

Trying to think back to when the FBPE thing started, it seemed to really slip under my radar - was ages before I even learned what the acronym stood for. So I can't remember if anyone I Followed became one or if their politics changed. It's like Qanon for left-w... er, non-right-wingers? Not overtly right-wingers? Most of them just seem a bit deluded. I try to steer clear. And think, who knows? There but for the grace of God... I'm pro-Europe certainly; but Follow Back? Fuck that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 06, 2021, 01:29:44 AM
The only viable candidate is Jane Churn, the ghost of Wem Town Hall.

surely

Jittlebags

Looks like Rees-Mogg and the Chief Whip are lined up as scapegoats for the debacle. Personally, I'd be delighted if the odious little shit Rees-Mogg gets taken down a peg or two.

king_tubby

jobotic

We already knew that didn't we? Certainly assumed it anyway

mothman

And again, people are asking, surely this has to be it? The last straw? And still even now I understand why anyone might think that. Because once upon a time it would have been. But we know such things are meaningless now. There will never be a last straw.

king_tubby

If only there was an opposition.

The Dog

Used to be a conservative MP went to the same gym as me, and everyone knew he was a MASSIVE cheat. Used to get his butler to do all the exercises for him! Thought nobody noticed. He'd come in like he was going to work on his legs or whatever and then his butler would be doing all the squats while he just stood there masturbating. Absolutely ridiculous.

mothman

Quote from: king_tubby on November 06, 2021, 10:51:28 PM
If only there was an opposition.

I don't think it's that. Or not just that. The whole "any other Labour leader would be ten points ahead" thing. That's old thinking. Something has changed, something fundamental. Wish I knew what.

Johnny Yesno

Twenty points. Let's not devalue the claim.

There's an open goal here for Kieth, which is to ask De Pfeffel if he thinks £80k a year (the top 5% of UK earners) plus expenses isn't enough for someone to live on.

holyzombiejesus

But Keith's funders and prospective donors all earn well over that so he's not allowed.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 06, 2021, 11:28:26 PMThere's an open goal here for Kieth, which is to ask De Pfeffel if he thinks £80k a year (the top 5% of UK earners) plus expenses isn't enough for someone to live on.
Thing is, while Mayor of London, Johnson dismissed the quarter of a million a year he got from writing a Telegraph column as "chicken feed" and it didn't harm his prospects.

So, to expand your open goal analogy, Starmer could tap it home, only to see that the crowd isn't watching and the ref has just shrugged "didn't happen, mate. Play on".