Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Carcass - Torn Arteries

Started by Shaky, June 23, 2021, 03:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 19, 2021, 04:08:04 PM
It always makes me suspiciously smile when these rockers claim they were into punk at nine years old and attending iconic gigs in sweaty clubs when they were just twelve years old. Reeeeeally?

Why not? I'd only just turned 14 when I first saw The Fall , having gotten into them at the age of 13.
Besides, Jeff's my cousin, and I can vouch for him, all the stuff he said in that interview is true.

Brundle-Fly

I believe him, but just once I'd like to hear a grizzled old metaller say they were into Captain Beaky as a kid in 1978 rather than the New York Dolls etc.

Glebe

Jeff and Ken both signed my ticket 'Rot and roll fan' when I saw them on the Necrotocism tour.

JaDanketies

I listened to it this morning and it was okay but it largely passed me by, except for the ten-minute track. And then I followed it up with Montero by Lil Nas X and I'm paying much more attention to this one. Feel like a fraud here with my black Rammstein Tour 2001/2002 hoodie on

the ouch cube

Justin of Godflesh really was into anarcho punk and the like from a very young age, because his folks were heavily involved in the scene, musicians would sleep at their house, etc. The guys in Carcass, who knows.

boki

Quote from: the ouch cube on September 20, 2021, 12:36:35 PM
Justin of Godflesh really was into anarcho punk and the like from a very young age, because his folks were heavily involved in the scene, musicians would sleep at their house, etc. The guys in Carcass, who knows.
Jeff was in the crustpunk band The Electro Hippies prior to joining Carcass[nb]There might actually have been some overlap like with Bill's tenure in Napalm Death[/nb], and think that Bill Steer was writing for zines in his youth, so they were certainly steeped in the ol' counterculture. 

Only given this album a couple of plays so far, but it's definitely getting a few more.

idunnosomename

just saying this is probably going to be my album of the year. gets better every time you listen to it. they could've just xerox'd Surgical Steel but instead they did something much more left-field. utterly inimitable stuff, and really augments their legacy even more

also got a ticket to Damnation so pleased about that

JaDanketies

Shaky

Just found out about the Japanese bonus track, which is the most trad-metal thing they've ever done. Heavy Blackstar vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgA7OAVYbw

Glebe

Jeff Walker: "Tom Hanks used to play Carcass to his friends".

QuoteWho's the most unlikely Carcass fan you've ever met?

"I remember years ago reading in a magazine that Tom Hanks used to have parties in Beverley Hills, and that he used to play Reek Of Putrefaction to his friends. Maybe some softarse got it wrong and they meant [reputed death metal fan] Jim Carrey. Or maybe my memory has just made it up."

Prolly was Carrey.

JaDanketies

Cannibal Corpse had a cameo in Pet Detective

Glebe

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 04, 2021, 07:47:12 PMCannibal Corpse had a cameo in Pet Detective

Ah yeah never saw it but heard about that.

Noodle Lizard

Cameron Diaz has also been spotted at Cannibal Corpse shows, bizarrely enough.

As for Carcass, they got namechecked in hit US sitcom Coffee Friends once, which was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BzTHDb4PBs

Magnum Valentino

And let's not forget Bill and Jeff appearing in Red Dwarf and being misremembered as Napalm Death by Charlesy on the commentary .

BeardFaceMan

It's weird how I've been a metal fan for over 20 years and have never heard a Carcass album before, I think it was one of those cases where everyone banging on about how great they were put me off a bit. Decided to give this a go though and it's a bit of bloody alright, isn't it? Not too fussed on the vocal style but there's some top tunage going on there. So where do I go next, any specific albums or just start from the beginning?

Necrotism- Descanting the Insalubrious
Heartwork
Surgical Steel

All three are absolutely top notch.

This is my favourite song of theirs:

Corporal Jigsore Quandary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwYqEihTpQ&ab_channel=Marijan40cent

Shaky

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 03, 2021, 08:18:10 PM
It's weird how I've been a metal fan for over 20 years and have never heard a Carcass album before, I think it was one of those cases where everyone banging on about how great they were put me off a bit. Decided to give this a go though and it's a bit of bloody alright, isn't it? Not too fussed on the vocal style but there's some top tunage going on there. So where do I go next, any specific albums or just start from the beginning?

If you fancy something as polished as the new one, listen to Heartwork. Astoundingly good album.

If you want to sample the old stuff - grimy grind with melody starting to come to the fore - then Necroticism's the one.

Having said "old", mind, Nec came just before Heartwork. A tribute to just how good these fuckers are.

boki

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 03, 2021, 08:18:10 PM
As others have suggested, Heartwork is the one where the melodic aspect of the band really came to the fore.  I'm gonna be that guy and put a recommendation in for Swansong - it's the one where their classic rock influences come through the most, which divided fans for sure.  Jeff's always sang the same way, though.

JaDanketies

I was probably in the same room as idunnoeomename. I should've swapped deets with you beforehand in retrospect. They've still got it!

idunnosomename

yes I was getting squashed second row (after whipping out of Memoriam right after their penultimate song), and didn't go into the pit, it was a bit far back and I wanted to uh, watch the band. too many crowd surfers imo, I spent too much time stopping people in front getting booted in the head. security were probably most pressed of the whole two days but still handled it well. I mean I don't mind a bit of crowd surfing, but it gets a bit silly and lame after a point.

here's the reported setlist
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/carcass/2021/the-refectory-university-of-leeds-leeds-england-6b8afe42.html

as I recall it there was just the intro drone from Genital Grinder? really I'd love them to open the set with the full version of that.

really loved Unfit for Human Consumption and then Kelly's Meat Emporium. Hope they go on to do a few more albums after this, I think this headliner (which they only got because of the COVID-19 international travel stuff cutting out all the American bands) was a big boon for them.

Glebe

Shaky