Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Prodigy

Started by Malcy, February 25, 2021, 01:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

A first look at this series has come out.

Quote['Prodigy'] reflects exactly what we're looking to do at Paramount+. In the early going for the new platform, franchises are incredibly valuable in driving people across the paywall and we know this.
The addition of 'Prodigy' is huge in that it's taking this franchise and expanding possibility of this hungry new demographic for 'Star Trek.' It does speak to the highest execution of the kind of things we're looking to do at Paramount+. Part of what we've seen is our 'Star Trek' fans on CBS All Access, it's interesting what they'll go to.

They'll go to 'The Legend of Korr'a and pop around and find things that fit that particular — and I say this lovingly — nerd demo. Our hope and thought, in concert with [Nickelodeon president] Brian Robbins, is that by bringing those Trek fans and their children into Prodigy on the platform is great way of hitting those hardcore Trek fans.

On the other hand, on the linear side, is hitting kids that may not be interested in 'Star Trek' but do watch Nickelodeon and would be interested in trying something new on the network.

It doesn't look very Trek. More like a Pixar movie cast but then I suppose that's what they were going for with the younger age range they are aiming for. I wonder how Janeway will look with this animation style.

Nothing else revealed but this is probably going to be the next series to air. All that's really known of its Trek connections  is that Janeway is in it and Okona from a TNG episode is appearing as well. He seems more suited to Lower Decks I would have thought.

Also the first Trek show with no human main cast.

Mister Six

Looks shit, who gives a fuck.

Lemming

That picture of the cast doesn't inspire much faith, not a single recognisable Star Trek species[nb]no bad thing in itself, potentially even a great thing, but the immediate question is "what's this got to do with Star Trek?" They don't even seem to be in Starfleet[/nb], and that robot thing looks like a cunt. The slime thing looks cool at least, Star Trek has always needed more non-humanoids.

Gave Discovery Series 3 a complete miss and enjoyed great mental health benefits as a result, so going to skip over this one too, especially given that it's aimed at people who are like 5 years old. There's a possibility that it'll turn out to be the greatest Star Trek series of all time, of course, but I'll let other people be the canaries in the coal mine. Probably just going to be yet another round of grueling, soul-sucking punishment for beleaguered Trek fans.

colacentral

The picture looks like a clueless exec told the design team they were working on a new Star Wars show and no one bothered to change it once they realised the mistake. The character in the middle could easily pass for some clone wars jedi council cunt.

Spoon of Ploff

starting to think this is all part of a plan to get Wesley Crusher further and further away from that Worst Star Trek character spot.

JamesTC

Hope Luke Skywalker is in this one.

MojoJojo

It's sort of cool there's no human main cast, but a bit weird they haven't used any of the species that already exist in trek.

Overall I think the concept is OK and could be fun for kids, but it's really sort of edge of franchise stuff, so doesn't really fix the problem of the main bit (Discovery and maybe Picard) being shit.

Malcy

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 25, 2021, 08:53:09 AM
It's sort of cool there's no human main cast, but a bit weird they haven't used any of the species that already exist in trek.

Overall I think the concept is OK and could be fun for kids, but it's really sort of edge of franchise stuff, so doesn't really fix the problem of the main bit (Discovery and maybe Picard) being shit.

Star Trek has always had a young viewership so I don't really see that there is a need for it.

Kurtzman has spoken about the future of the franchise. He talks some amount of shite. Does he really think there could be a Trek series on BET?

QuoteUltimately for Paramount+ to be the centralized home of all Star Trek is ideal but I do like the idea of being able to explore what kinds of strange shows you can put on that don't necessarily fit into a box. That's so much of what we're trying to do with Trek: give you what's familiar but also forge new ground.

QuoteDo I see something on BET? Yes, because there may be a niche Star Trek show that's perfect for that. I want to make sure as we build this out that we're being thoughtful about creating a really interesting rainbow of colors, that each show feels different and you don't think, "I can watch Picard and not watch the others." Because they're all very different. That to us is more important — staying true to that approach."

https://trekmovie.com/2021/02/24/paramount-already-discussing-multiple-shows-for-next-phase-of-star-trek-universe/

At this rate we're going to end up with a Trek version of Love Island set on Risa.

Zetetic

I think you could do a really neat YA-ish show about YA-ish members of entirely novel small species and civilisations experiencing Starfleet and the Federation[nb]Trying to join, or shortly after having done so.[/nb], and the rest of the galaxy, using the setups of those civilisations to reflect in a more relevant way[nb]Than the Romulan or Cardassian politics, say, tend to lend themselves to.[/nb] on things like how our prejudices and ways of seeing the world stand between us and Utopian Space Communism, or engaging with people less tolerant and more full of nonsense than yourself, away from a strong temptation to do something lore-significant about massive wars or whatever.

No reasons to believe this is it, alas.

Povidone

I'd like to think the slime creature is one of the aliens from the TNG episode where Sarek is losing his mind. He's supposed to have a summit with these aliens that require really specific conditions to live and Geordie spends the whole episode in the conference room tinkering with these jacuzzis that are meant to house them.

But when the time comes for the summit instead of being shown these crazy aliens at all, we are treated to ten minutes of Patrick Stewart doing the ACTING in a dark cupboard.

Most egregious thing in Star Trek cannon, needs fixing.

petril

Quote from: Zetetic on February 25, 2021, 01:18:21 PM
I think you could do a really neat YA-ish show about YA-ish members of entirely novel small species and civilisations experiencing Starfleet and the Federation[nb]Trying to join, or shortly after having done so.[/nb], and the rest of the galaxy, using the setups of those civilisations to reflect in a more relevant way[nb]Than the Romulan or Cardassian politics, say, tend to lend themselves to.[/nb] on things like how our prejudices and ways of seeing the world stand between us and Utopian Space Communism, or engaging with people less tolerant and more full of nonsense than yourself, away from a strong temptation to do something lore-significant about massive wars or whatever.

No reasons to believe this is it, alas.

Star Trek's always wanted to do both ends of the scale simultaneously, so the politics side of it always feels weird. like seeing round the back of an Escher picture, seeing the really clunky ways they weld the personal and local scale of the stories to the galactic scale of distance and so many lives in weird distorted ways. you're normally not meant to think of that and the weird, off-by-a-long-way numbers, but you do. suddenly chock-a-block city scape civilisations face genocide and you're howling because the population is the same as Wales or something.

St_Eddie

Quote from: petrilTanaka on February 26, 2021, 12:36:50 PM
Star Trek's always wanted to do both ends of the scale simultaneously...

I bet it fucking did, the dirty old bollocks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 27, 2021, 01:13:39 PM
Two days and not a single Out of Space joke?

6 Months and no Out Of Space joke!

Forgot to add this trailer to the thread a while back when it came out I think in April.

https://www.startrek.com/videos/watch-first-look-at-star-trek-prodigy

The ship is called the USS Protostar. Complete with an Orville style window rather than a viewscreen.

A Tellarite which i don't think anyone guessed after the first reveal.

A Medusan for another TOS callback.

Very like Yaphet from The Orville.

Recently
Spoiler alert
Roberrt Beltran revealed he has done some voice over work for the show, presumably as Chakotay. Must be a hologram as well.
[close]

And just today the actors playing the main villains have been revealed.

John Noble & Jimmi Simpson.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/08/26/john-noble-jimmi-simpson-announced-as-star-trek-prodigy-main-villains/

I wasn't sure about this one at first but it looks really good and I don't really like CGI animation. I think it will air within a few weeks of Lower Decks finishing in late October.

Malcy

Some more casting news on this.

Spoiler alert
Robert Beltran now confirmed as Captain Chakotay
[close]
, Daveed Diggs as an Andorian, Jameela Jamil as a Trill & Jason Alexander as a Tellarite!

Starts Oct 28th.

Alberon

So this has been released and I just watched the double length opening episode.

It all starts with a prisoner on a mining colony character called Dal who is of a race even he doesn't know. He teams up with the characters listed above and ends up on a prototype Starfleet ship which he finds buried deep under the ground. Turns out that series bad guy played by John Noble
Spoiler alert
has been looking for it for years.
[close]

It's a kid's show of course, but there's nothing wrong with that. Well animated, though it felt a bit more like Star Wars than Star Trek at times. There's a few more callbacks in there beyond the Medusan and the Tellerite. A
Spoiler alert
Kazon makes an appearance early on, and later there's an alien that looks like it belongs to Morn's species
[close]

Have to see where it goes from here, of course, but not bad at all so far.

Malcy

I enjoyed it a lot more than i thought I would. It looked great and it kept my full attention the whole way through. I thought the music sounded a lot like the Kelvin-verse films then saw in the credits that it was the same composer.

How did Dal know Jankom Pog was a Tellarite though?

Looking forward to the rest of it.

daf

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on February 25, 2021, 07:46:44 AM
starting to think this is all part of a plan to get Wesley Crusher further and further away from that Worst Star Trek character spot.

"The Outrgeous Okona" has already bagged that place - nothing's going to shift that prick off the bottom of the barrel!

Alberon

Not a bad second episode. This one is more about exploring the new ship.

Did like it when Dal, very reasonably,
Spoiler alert
decided the Federation sounded far too good to be true and wanted to head away from it
[close]

mothman

I thought it was a really good first episode. Which surprised me. Maybe I've finally found my level - Star Trek for kids...

Malcy

Enjoyed the 2nd episode. I think i preferred the 45 min length of the first though. I'm struggling to figure out why the villain wants the Protostar. At first I thought it would be because of it's what i assume is a slipstream drive but if he's going after it then he must have a fast enough ship to catch up to it.

Looking forward to see how
Spoiler alert
Chakotay & Okona are going to fit in to the story
[close]
and surely
Spoiler alert
Neelix has to make an appearance at some point too.
[close]

Enjoyed seeing all the previous shows ships, it looks great, score is nice & it's just generally positive and Trek.

Alberon

Must admit, I thought the fight inside the vehicle replicator was quite inventive.

Alberon

This show will take a Christmas break after episode 5, show five more episodes in January and February and then air the remaining ten episodes of the season late in 2022.

And on top of that Prodigy has been renewed for a second season.

mothman

They seem to be trying to avoid clashing with DSC s4 (starts Nov 18, or 19 Nov in the UK).

Looking forward to some live action TV TBH. Feel like all I've been watching recently has been either cartoon (Lower Decks, What If?, Prodigy) or carcrash (Foundation)... So yeah, DSC, the Boba Fett show, the Hawkeye one...

Malcy

Yeah they have to keep people subscribed to the platform all year round.

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on February 25, 2021, 05:48:17 AM
Gave Discovery Series 3 a complete miss and enjoyed great mental health benefits as a result, so going to skip over this one too, especially given that it's aimed at people who are like 5 years old. There's a possibility that it'll turn out to be the greatest Star Trek series of all time, of course, but I'll let other people be the canaries in the coal mine. Probably just going to be yet another round of grueling, soul-sucking punishment for beleaguered Trek fans.

Have you caved yet? I've got the first episode lined up for tonight but I already feel sick.

Lemming

Not yet, too petrified. The positive reviews people are giving are heartening, but at the same time, watching any new Star Trek production at this point feels like being Charlie Brown and having Lucy pull the football away from you.

The promise of seeing holo-Janeway keeps making me nearly give in and watch it though.

JamesTC

I'm pretty sure Discovery is aimed at a lower age group.

Mister Six

Why no love for DS9 in all these spin-offs? BOOOOO!

MojoJojo

Quote from: Mister Six on November 12, 2021, 02:12:10 AM
Why no love for DS9 in all these spin-offs? BOOOOO!

It was mentioned in the DS9 thread that ds9 is a bit forgotten, although it gets mentioned on LD. But LD mentions everything trek.

I guess a lot of the reason is it just doesn't look like trek. Remove the star Fleet uniforms, and you wouldn't know it was trek, unlike every other trek series.