Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great music released by artists in their 70s and beyond

Started by notjosh, November 09, 2021, 08:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Having a listen to Fats Domino's Love You Till the Day I Die from Alive and Kickin' for the umpteenth time and it's a beautiful piece of work. Distills everything that was great about his sound with the classic piano triplets, simple melody and sweet lyrics that all somehow combine to be more than the sum of their parts.

Bloke was 71 when he recorded that. So what other artists have recorded some of their best work after hitting 70? Others that occured to me were:

Johnny Cash's American IV (released at 70), featuring the heatbreaking Hurt and a lovely take on In My Life, amongst others.

Dr John's Locked Down (71) with a bevy of brilliant tunes, including Kingdom of Izzness and Revolution.

Video Game Fan 2000

Link Wray? He could shame noise rock bands right until the he had to quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7RmD0hayA sounds like the Wipers

DrGreggles

That Monkees album they did for their 50th anniversary.

EDIT: Good Times!

The Mollusk

Fred Durst. I'll be back to bump this thread in 20 years, you'll see.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

'Me and Magdalena' off that is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Without wanting to get all Radio 3 about it, Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs probably trumps it all.

idunnosomename

There are a few composers yes. Ralph Vaughan Williams was born 1872 and his Symphony 6 of the late 1940s is a chillingly bleak meditation on the atom bomb. Starts in two keys a semitone apart simultaneously. Pretty heavy stuff.

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on November 09, 2021, 11:51:57 PM
'Me and Magdalena' off that is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Really is. I started crying listening to that while I was walking to a meeting. Like a schmuck.

Pretty sure I was only aware of it because of this place - maybe it was you.

chabrol

All of Mississippi John Hurt's post-'rediscovery' albums, particularly Today!

A definitive take on 'Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC18_XEAe2o&ab_channel=RodrigoSerrano

NoSleep

Check out Elza Suarez' (b.1930) three most recent albums (A mulher do fim do mundo (or The Woman of the End of the World)2015, Deus é Mulher 2018, Planeta Fome 2019), where she reinvented herself after a long career as an MBP artist, turning to something that has a hard edged, latin-tinged, post-punk, hiphop, r&b feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQCs9HZWRk

NoSleep

R.L. Burnside had a good run in his 70's ranging from straightahead acoustic & electric blues through to an experimental and variable amalgam of blues & hiphop on his last album, A Bothered Mind.

notjosh

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Had a listen today, really enjoyed it. A couple of the tracks sound a bit too much like pastiche of the 60s sound for me, but the slightly indie-tinged ones felt like just the right amount of development of their style.