Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: mothman on November 09, 2021, 09:15:05 PM
And I haven't seen the John Lewis advert on TV at all? Or has it not been officially released on TV..?

The John Lewis ad is terrible. Seems really long and boring and a rip off of The Snowman substituting said snowman for a spaceship and alien - except they don't even go for a fly around. I can't even remember what the pay off is.

Is the one playing the alien famous? They look familiar. Full disclosure - I can't be arsed to go and check.

Icehaven

I do Whamageddon with the John Lewis ad, see how long I can manage to avoid it (easy enough if you don't watch TV channels with ads, but I do, so I don't usually make it past the first week after it's out.) A few years back my then boss made a big thing of getting everyone into the office on the day it came out so they could all watch it on his computer. A grown man in his late 30s. Unbelievable. Think it was the year with the paedophile on the moon one so it was even worse.

mothman

It's quite incredible how bland the JL is this year. I mean, they're not avant-garde filmmaking at the best of times, but there was a point at which they were a surprise and even, yes, could tug at the heart-strings a teensy little bit. Compared to the 2021 one, anyway. It's like a committee sat down to concoct the most archetypal JL Xmas ad ever. I suspect it's intended to represent a "back to the classics" foray after a few more experimental years (which lots of people probably complained about and said they wanted proper old-fashioned JL ads again).

The gammons have even complained about the human child being non-white for fuck's sake. Presumably in 2016 (the dog on the trampoline one) when the main family were all black, none of them noticed because they were too busy celebrating the election of a racist US president, and the Brexit vote! I guess a human-alien romance isn't miscegenation if both species are the same colour...

Rizla

JL ad is some proper half-arsed, cheap looking shit. And look, it wasn't even an original choice of slowed-down pop classic - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/11/john-lewis-christmas-advert-electric-dreams-arrangement-accused-copying

The utter deso of claiming they pinched your song idea. Not really how it works, lads. Fuck sake, you could bash off uke versions of the best of the 80s in an afternoon and hold the high street to ransom from now til kingdom come.

I just keep repeating "Edamame beans" from the Deliveroo ad.

Icehaven

Quote from: mothman on November 09, 2021, 09:15:05 PM
I find myself rather liking the Lidl Christmas advert. There's something almost anarchic about it. And lots of little details to notice each time I see it - if I'm able; it flies by a bit fast.

https://youtu.be/SfexHlJ-BVU

Blimey, not only a tolerable advert, but a tolerable Christmas advert, unprecedented.

neveragain

Yeah, it's great.

Or maybe just genuinely good and there are precious few ads like that around. I think that about a lot of TV these days.

mothman

Sure a lot of the ads from the past year, especially last Christmas, were very... worthy... but it's quite dispiriting how quickly the retailers have reverted to type. Sure, pile in and buy stuff you can't afford, stocks maintained by our staff on minimum wage, we'll not let them wear masks in case it makes anyone uncomfortable (you'll all be ignoring the wear-masks-if-you-prefer signs, of course). CHRISTMAS IS BACK, one ad said.

Much as I yearn to, well, yearn to see these cunts put up against the wall, I know a lot of other underserving people would have to die first before that'll happen...

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 11, 2021, 09:33:29 PM
I just keep repeating "Edamame beans" from the Deliveroo ad.

"Chocolate macha brownie!" *chuckles and shakes head*

Icehaven

I know ad music (particularly breathy covers) is a common discussion but does anyone else think the use of pre-existing music has increased massively in the last few years? Obviously it's been a thing for a long time now but virtually every other ad has either the original or a cover now. I've just watched a commercial break with about 6 ads and there was a breathy cover of 99 Red Balloons, some Billy Eilish (I think) song and something else I've forgotten. It just seems like there's far more than there used to be.

JesusAndYourBush

I think a couple of decades ago if you wanted to use a well-known song in your ad you were either refused permission at any cost or the costs were too high so nobody bothered, but since mp3 killed the music business its become cheaper to licence music because they want all the money they can get.

mothman

QuoteThe Portraits, meanwhile, are now releasing a follow-up Christmas single, a cover in a very similar orchestral and choral style, this time of Ed Sheeran's Photograph.

Desolation.

dissolute ocelot

I guess the John Lewis music is moving along from desolate acoustic cover versions to desolate electronic cover versions, so we should be grateful for small mercies. A lot of the poignant cover versions in recent years are of people who are still very rich, so it's not as if they need the money (e.g. Elton John, Beatles, Queen)[nb]Although do they still own their own publishing?[/nb], but maybe Phil Oakey is less well off and grateful of any cover version income to finance another Human League album. Also, John Lewis ads are aimed at older people who don't want anything new and just want to keep shopping in the same store for the same things forever.

Icehaven

KFC, Waitrose and EE are all using a variation of that "Merry merry merry merry Christmas" song for their Xmas ads. Should be bloody rules about only one advert per Christmas dirge so we don't get subjected to it 3 times every ad break.

Icehaven

I've just seen a Nintendo ad with an old man telling his granddaughter how he remembers playing Mariokart with her mum when she was a child. I feel about a hundred years old.

mothman

I'm trying to figure out what feels off about the M&S Christmas advert. Is it the editing? Or is it that all the clothes the central character wears look too big for her?

gilbertharding

The Boots ad.

Jenna Coleman, in a world where a Christmas present from Boots doesn't automatically trigger an image of the gift-giver standing, at the end of a long afternoon at the fucking shops, staring at the shelves of awful 3 for 2 pre-packed gifts 'for him' (beer, chilli chutney, soap on a rope) and 'for her' (soap, gin miniatures, pot pourri) and trying to remember who amongst their aquaintances they have left to buy something for, and wouldn't it be easier just not bother this year... we could go away... not come back... pretend we're dead or something... gives something to a Nana (her own, actual Nana? Surely not).

"And this is what love smells like."

Give over.

mothman

I have chuckled once or twice at the Waitrose ad. Sorry. But then, I'm prepared to forgive Ashley Jensen a lot, she's had a rough couple of years.

paruses

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 16, 2021, 06:27:44 PMThe Boots ad.

Jenna Coleman, in a world where a Christmas present from Boots doesn't automatically trigger an image of the gift-giver standing, at the end of a long afternoon at the fucking shops, staring at the shelves of awful 3 for 2 pre-packed gifts 'for him' (beer, chilli chutney, soap on a rope) and 'for her' (soap, gin miniatures, pot pourri) and trying to remember who amongst their aquaintances they have left to buy something for, and wouldn't it be easier just not bother this year... we could go away... not come back... pretend we're dead or something... gives something to a Nana (her own, actual Nana? Surely not).

"And this is what love smells like."

Give over.

Yes perfectly sums up Christmas from Boots - the last refuge of the scounderel complacent.

I have been meaning to post about that slogan. It's awful. The word "smell" should not be in a slogan. And coupling it with "Love" is just asking for trouble.

In the real world I imagine the nana read it out as "This is what love smells likes?" And then repeated smells? And then asked "Is this from Boots?".

paruses

I've realised that the Lidl ad that I am shown almost every single ad break is a tiny fragment that's meaningless without context. Got round to clicking on the link provided above and agree it's a pretty good ad. The Dad character plays his barely disguised contempt for his brother-in-law really well and I actually laughed.

Having only seen the frgaments where an older auntie says "pass the salmon" and then a voiceover says something about hover plates, it's been a mystery why people I think are spot on about this kind of thing were so way of the mark.

I have never see it in its entirety on Catch Up. Do they show it all on normal telly? A real waste if not.

mothman

Exactly. In its entirety it's brilliant. The look of contempt on the host's face each time he's told "Careful with that thing!" makes it.

It seems like this year they switched to the abbreviated versions very quickly. The Tesco ad lost the Santa's-vaccinated sequence very quickly because it annoyed the gammons and made the poor mites feel victimised. I don't think I've seen the full-length John Lewis ad on actual TV; I don't know why but it's just been shortened versions every time.

kalowski

Everyone wants to know what my love smells like.

paruses

Quote from: kalowski on December 18, 2021, 06:11:49 PMEveryone wants to know what my love smells like.

Yes, but is your nan where you start?

kalowski

Icehaven

It annoyed me too that the very good Lidl ad switched to short versions, as part of what made it so good was how it was based round the repetitiveness of Christmas, how it's the same bloody thing every year with the same people, but that's lost in the shorter ones. Can't believe I'm advocating for longer adverts but it did work.

Cuntbeaks

The Marc Jacobs Daisy advert with Cheree by Suicide is a high water mark for adverts. Couldn't care what they were advertising, that's irrelevant, it's all about my comic book fantasy.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on December 23, 2021, 11:46:53 PMThe Marc Jacobs Daisy advert with Cheree by Suicide is a high water mark for adverts. Couldn't care what they were advertising, that's irrelevant, it's all about my comic book fantasy.

I didn't think I'd really registered that ad but when I saw a bottle of it in a shop I immediately had a stoned sounding woman's voice in my head going "Daisy daisy daisy daisy" so I obviously did. The irony is daisies actually smell awful.

Uncle TechTip

The bloke who does the ever-changing McDonald's ads on TV and radio (a new one every week on the radio it seems)

The cheeky chirpy London voice that you can't quite place.

Dexter Fletcher!

jenna appleseed

Why/how is The Pixies' Where Is My Mind selling Noom on youtube?

Icehaven

I'm sure this has come up in numerous other discussions about the 'breathy acoustic covers in ads' cliche, but is it right that cover versions don't need the permission of the original artist/whoever owns the rights to be used in ads/tv shows etc.?

monkfromhavana

I would have thought that they would because it's the publishing side of things.