Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: robhug on November 12, 2021, 02:09:02 PM
yeah looks like they've gone down the local boy done good theme rather than the nonce and necro stuff, could prove a controversial move.

All the important plot points will the be in the sequel they won't be able to make.

imitationleather

I bet Coogan is having a load of fun doing his Savile impression that we all do privately but he's getting to do it in public and being paid shitloads at the same time.

Fair play to him.

Video Game Fan 2000

Do you think he's living in character like Daniel Day Lewis

idunnosomename

Keep wondering why this isnt in comedy chat then I remember most people wouldnt expect a show about Jimmy Savile to be a comedy

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Rizla on November 12, 2021, 12:06:19 PM
That stuff definitely works on some people. Let me illustrate - my mum's friend set up as an NLP practitioner, and when she told me she was doing so, I said to her "NLP? Isn't that the same thing those speed seduction people use to trick women into bed? For example, they'll talk about "taking things in a new direction" and the woman is supposed to hear "nude erection" and drop 'em?" "Never heard of that one" says my mum's friend. Few months later I see she's had leaflets made up to advertise her practice, which she had named - you guessed it -  New Directions. Claimed she came up with the name out of nowhere, much to my amusement.

For this to be evidence of NLP's efficacy, the artwork would have to include a turgid member.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on October 14, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
Savile should ideally be played by a joke figure with silly blond hair

who's doesn't mind gurning weirdly for photographers

A thumbs-up patriot.

I'm joking of course.

This is a comparison I've noticed myself before and it's pretty uncanny.

I would love it, love it, if it turned out after he was dead that Boris was a megapaedo and fucked corpses and everyone had to pretend they never liked him.

Bad news for all the kids and corpses Boris has fucked during his reign of terror of course, but at least as a country we'd have to move beyond this ridiculous era of him as a beloved public figure.

shiftwork2

The revulsion of that nurse on the left is quite something.

imitationleather

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 12, 2021, 06:21:53 PM

She's pulling the exact same expression you'd make if an internet extortionist made you film yourself kissing a pile of your dad's turds.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 12, 2021, 06:21:53 PM

Well he did reek of embalming fluid, especially his tongue, strangely.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: JamesTC on November 12, 2021, 10:54:23 AM
"What are we filming tomorrow?"
"Beach noncing scene"
"Righto"

The actress looks like an adult, so maybe not. Or it's bad casting.
Not that I think it would be appropriate to use child actors here, or that the BBC should be making this in the first place.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 26, 2021, 01:57:57 PM
If they did it as a really broad, colourful, bawdy slapstick comedy and had him gurning and mugging to camera, slide whistles, the lot, that's the only way I could see this working.
"Confessions of a hospital porter" sort of thing.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 12, 2021, 10:59:08 AM
The best we can hope for is they do it as a knockabout sex comedy from the 70's like a 'Confessions of a Radio 1 DJ'.  Robin Askwith must appear in it.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 28, 2021, 06:10:08 PM
Derek series 8 was my first thought.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on November 12, 2021, 10:38:07 AM
Why is he playing it as a blonde Derek

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 18, 2021, 12:50:16 PMThose Apocalypse Now references were a bit on the nose, did anyone else think? Why do that?

Nuthin'.

Almost four weeks later someone else makes the same observation and gets a full page of replies - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79492.msg4748519.html#msg4748519

I mean, I wouldn't say owt, they're not exactly original thoughts, but I see honks trying to get a conversation going about shmups for like 3 years or something and just constantly getting brick walled. I join up to talk about shmups and the cunt blanks and gaslights me.

I'm used to being invisible offline, but sometimes someone'll toss me a scrap on a forum!

I've been shadowbanned, haven't I? :D

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 13, 2021, 02:25:56 AM
Nuthin'.

Almost four weeks later someone else makes the same observation and gets a full page of replies - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79492.msg4748519.html#msg4748519

I mean, I wouldn't say owt, they're not exactly original thoughts, but I see honks trying to get a conversation going about shmups for like 3 years or something and just constantly getting brick walled. I join up to talk about shmups and the cunt blanks and gaslights me.

I'm used to being invisible offline, but sometimes someone'll toss me a scrap on a forum!

I've been shadowbanned, haven't I? :D

Plus ça change...

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 12 2007, 07:17:27 PMFour hours later someone else makes the same observation and gets a full page of replies!
To be honest I can't see this sort of knuckleheaded ignorance ever changing, and I don't know why I fucking bother. Pearls before internet swine.

Yep, I'm done with this place. Have a good life everyone.

I'm going to be watching and fuck off everyone saying it shouldn't be made.  No-one will be forced to see it and I'm certain they won't glorify the man or make light of what he did.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 13, 2021, 02:25:56 AM
I join up to talk about shmups and the cunt blanks and gaslights me.

As you know, I don't play on PC and I'm too tired to play games much these days so I've not got much to say. It's nothing more than that, no blanking intended.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 13, 2021, 08:07:58 AM
I'm going to be watching and fuck off everyone saying it shouldn't be made.  No-one will be forced to see it and I'm certain they won't glorify the man or make light of what he did.
Is anyone here saying that?

JamesTC

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 13, 2021, 02:00:09 AM
The actress looks like an adult, so maybe not. Or it's bad casting.
Not that I think it would be appropriate to use child actors here, or that the BBC should be making this in the first place.

I think she looks like she could be 15. I'll admit it isn't yet confirmed that it is a beach noncery yet.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 13, 2021, 08:21:48 AM
As you know, I don't play on PC and I'm too tired to play games much these days so I've not got much to say. It's nothing more than that, no blanking intended.

wait... there's going to be a Savile computer game?

Chedney Honks

There's a lot of Savile simulators already on the Nintendo eShop but many are Japan-only.

kalowski

Quote from: Blumf on November 13, 2021, 05:33:14 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Trolley
QuoteDespite when any sexual abuse of Jimmy Savile were surfaced, this game that contained appearances of Jimmy Savile on the cover and promoting its BBC show, Jim'll Fix It were surprisingly the only Jimmy Savile media that didn't came into controversially

JamesTC

QuotePlayers control a supermarket worker who is tasked with stocking the supermarket shelves, finding lost babies and removing dogs from the store.

It looks more like Jimmy Hill on the cover.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: JamesTC on November 13, 2021, 05:40:07 PM
It looks more like Jimmy Hill on the cover.
The only time he ever spilled the beans.

George White

Part of me wonders if it's supposed to be a "Generic Yorkshire-born TV Personality" to avoid paying likeness rights.
There's as much Parky about him as there is Jim'll.

beanheadmcginty

Use of the word "super" in the title is treading on the toes of Bowen somewhat in the 80s Saturday teatime celebrity sphere. Should have called it "Jangly Trolley" or something like that.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: JamesTC on November 13, 2021, 12:17:05 PM
I think she looks like she could be 15. I'll admit it isn't yet confirmed that it is a beach noncery yet.

They could do a reverse Bugsy Malone and have all the kids played by adults and all the adults played by kids, including Sir Jimmy Savile and cgi Partridge's face on him

George White

Found the synopsis I wrote in 2015 for a Savile biopic c.1994
From the photos I've seen, unfortunately it looks like the Coogan biopic looks just as ill-advised as my deliberately bad-taste/sensationalist US cable take.

"As It Happened -The Jimmy Savile Story" starring Richard Harris c.Patriot Games. Made If Jim was disgraced in 1990. It's a terrible TV biopic made for cable and clearly shot in Eastern Europe/and or Canada. Filled with mistakes. Jim doesn't live in a flat. Instead the Savile residence is a clapboard rural house a la Bates Motel surrounded by rolling generic countryside. There's a scene where "unnamed BBC producer" says, "let's have an ad break here, shall we?" It would feature lot of characters clearly based on real people, but legally different. I.e. DJ Tommy Blake, who is not at all Tony Blackburn. Jim would be regularly wining/dining Thatcher (played by Lynn Redgrave). There's almost sexual chemistry. It has a scene in Manchester and Leeds with red buses and black cabs running outside. But there's no BBC permission. TOTP is now "The Pop Show" and instead of Jim'll Fix It, "The Jimmy Savile Show" would be a bizarre variety showcase, even has cartoon breaks. It's like Bruce Forsyth's Big Night meets Krusty the Klown. BBC TV Centre looks nothing like it did in real life. There's a scene with this groupie who's supposed to be 14, and she has the most brutal accent. And looks about 28! Jim even has a chauffeur who drives his Roller down the country lane to his rural farmhouse (not flat) in Leeds, and for the scenes with Richard Harris as young Jim, they don't dye his hair for scenes in 1971. Its like he was born 60. Jim would scream "Duchess! Duchess" at his ma's bedside, when she'd die And the knighthood scene is brilliant. A random castle, a Queen lookalike, a Rolls Royce, just 2 extras as royal guards. Jim celebrates his knighthood with a posh meal with Charles and Di. He then takes a train home. He forgot the Rolls. On the train home Jim pays some underage punk prozzies. And then there's a visit to Broadmoor, where we meet a shellsuit-clad TV-fixated, rather bearish looking Peter Sutcliffe, who's oddly Scots. Jim's ironing his mother's clothes in Scarborough, ie a cottage on a beach with a phone box outside. The Duchess' ghost is a confidante.
The end has Savile being visited by a randomly Irish-American copper. The final shot is Jim staring out the window, knowing he'll never be caught.

dissolute ocelot

The Guardian has a new article by Mark Lawson which describes his long-held suspicions about Savile, and mentions Lawson being interviewed both for this drama ("There is no writer I would trust more than McKay not to ignore the BBC's complicity in its long-time employee's crimes") and a soon-to-be-released Netflix doc, Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story. I don't always have a lot of time for Lawson, but it's pretty damning.

Mr_Simnock

That is a great article and shows very clearly another example of the state coming together to protect itself no matter what crimes/wrongs have been committed.

Ferris

And according to Lawson's article, even well after it all came out, BBC managers are still making vague, unofficial requests to a producer for Lawson not to be around at specific times when another media outlet might ask an embarrassing question.

That, that, is the reason he got away with it. Lots of powerful people putting in "off the record" requests to look the other way or not file the complaint properly or whatever. It's incredible that it was still going on in reverence of savile's cooling corpse even after we knew what he was.