Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So... Rod Stewart

Started by kalowski, November 12, 2021, 10:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I'll say it. His first four albums are fucking stellar, with some of his best interpretations of songs: Man of Constant Sorrow, Cut Across Shorty, Only a Hobo, I'm Losing You (a rare cover if a Temptations track that's actually good)...and some of his best songs: Every Picture, Italian Girls, Maggie May, You Wear It Well, Seems Like a Long Time.
But 74's Smiler is average and by Atlantic Crossing he'd pretty much lost it. The Killing of Georgie his last decent track, other than his Tom Waits' covers.
Discuss Rod here. Someone's bound to know something juicy.

Head Gardener

This was the first album I bought aged 11 in 1972 (first single was Wizzard's Ball Park Incident)

kalowski

A cracker. I remember buying it on CD and a mate going loopy at me buying Rod Stewart.

Head Gardener

it's stood the test of time, it also introduced me to Jimi Hendrix, even at a young age I wanted to know more about the songs I heard, Bowie was the best at that then

Lungpuddle

I just watched Limmy watching him doing the Scottish Cup draw, and as suspicious as I am that you're an algorhythm in disguise, I do like Every Picture Tells a Story a lot. Whenever I hear the title Maggie May I (mentally) do the On the Hour Rosie May bit, but it's still one of my favourites. It's a bit weak lyrically in places, but I can forgive that for the excellent mandolin section. By Ray Jackson from Lindisfarne, I believe. Dave Rotheray wrote an answer song from Maggie's point of view called, er, Maggie's Song, which I also like. Haven't really heard much else by Rod other than his versions of Handbags and Downtown Train (I dislike the latter quite a bit, to be honest, but maybe I'm just too much of a Waits fanboy) and Martin Clunes et al belting out 'we are sailing' which is fantastic.

If I hear Maggie May or Reason to Believe playing in a bar or something, it takes me ages to figure out which one it is (wasn't Maggie May it's b-side? I'll google after posting!).

The Culture Bunker

I don't really have any real opinions on Rod Stewart or his music, but I will say in the cover for the album above, his facial expression does suggest that he just sat on something "uncomfortable" (or not).

Sebastian Cobb

I like the stuff he did with The Faces and that.

It also amuses me that he seemingly got a massive hump over the fact Ronnie Wood once described him as 'tighter than two coats of paint' in an interview.

Levi

His Marc Bolan tribute sounds like Primal Scream.
That's it- Bobby Gillespie won. I'm done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeoTx13pmzs

Pauline Walnuts

His singing on the Jeff Beck Truth album is only what Robert Plant could have been.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 12, 2021, 11:24:04 PM
I like the stuff he did with The Faces and that.
Which basically includes his first four or five albums

Glebe

He's bought an apartment here in Dublin... think it's were Marianne Faithfull used to live. I served her in a shop once.

Custard

Obviously his time in the Faces is great, essential stuff

But for the solo years, I'd highly recommend this neat little set
Reason To Believe: The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000793V8/

He went plops almost immediately after that lot

Head Gardener

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 13, 2021, 07:29:45 AM
His singing on the Jeff Beck Truth album is only what Robert Plant could have been.

so true, I was listening to this just the other day and thinking the same thing 

Glebe

Quote from: Glebe on November 13, 2021, 07:51:45 AMHe's bought an apartment here in Dublin... think it's were Marianne Faithfull used to live. I served her in a shop once.

Mean around where she used to live, not her actual apartment.

pigamus

For a bloke like him to be doing The Killing of Georgie in 1976, that wasn't nothing. And John Peel always said his best gig of all time was the Faces in Sunderland in 1973, after they beat Arsenal in the cup semi. I can well believe it. But then he had to go and play Sun City, didn't he?

Glebe

Quote from: pigamus on November 13, 2021, 03:05:27 PMBut then he had to go and play Sun City, didn't he?

Never heard that before. Queen are the famous ones of course.

pigamus

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 12, 2021, 11:24:04 PM
It also amuses me that he seemingly got a massive hump over the fact Ronnie Wood once described him as 'tighter than two coats of paint' in an interview.

Ian Mac doesn't miss a chance to call him a tight arse.

kalowski

Quote from: SweetPomPom on November 13, 2021, 06:25:10 PM
Ian Mac doesn't miss a chance to call him a tight arse.
Well, he does nowadays. He's been dead for nearly seven years.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: kalowski on November 13, 2021, 06:26:31 PM
Well, he does nowadays. He's been dead for nearly seven years.

One less for Rod to moan about.

Glebe

Quote from: pigamus on November 13, 2021, 03:20:24 PM6th of August 1983.

In 1980, he didn't play Sun City, in 1981, he didn't play Sun City, in 1982, he didn't play Sun City, in 1983 HE PLAYED SUN CITY. In 1984, he didn't play Sun City, I mean I could go on...? Right.

Psmith

He was good when he was young but got old.
I saw him in the 70's.Kicked footballs into the crowd.H&S wouldn't allow that now.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Psmith on November 13, 2021, 08:46:50 PM
He was good when he was young but got old.
I saw him in the 70's.Kicked footballs into the crowd.H&S wouldn't allow that now.

Saw 10 minutes of him at Glastonbury on the way through the field. Wasn't tempted to stick around.

TheMonk

This is like a computer generated simulation of a Rod Stewart performance.
Crap song too.
https://youtu.be/x3YOXJrqaNM

gilbertharding

I like Rod Stewart's voice, I think.

As an artist, he's always suffered from... I don't know what it's called, but it was perfectly illustrated for me when I was in HMV once, and they were playing random music like always... and I heard The Motown Song, with its chorus "Bring over some of your old Motown records... We'll put the speakers in the window and we'll go on the roof and listen to the Miracles echo to the alley down below... "

By some lucky fluke (or something else, I don't know) the very next tune was When Smokey Sings by ABC, which is essentially a song about the exact same thing - even down to the artist the singer is listening to... except it's not been written by someone who really should have been a blacksmith rather than a lyricist

I know Rod doesn't write (most of) his stuff, but he has a knack for picking stuff that sounds like a first draft hack.

SpiderChrist

Amazing how quickly Rod went from ace face to dog shit. Even Sting noticed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYTfmNd5c4

Glebe

Surprised nobody's mentioned Rod's astonishingly awful Graham Norton performance, although be warned, you'll probably want to wipe it from your memory. Move aside Paul Shane! So embarrassing I don't think I could actually watch it again.

poodlefaker

I wonder how many acts turned that song down before it got to Rodders

phantom_power

I like some of his songs but his voice can be a bit much for me. I also can't get over the thought that he might well be a massive prong