Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Big March 31st Trans Fundraising Topic

Started by canadagoose, November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Kelvin on November 13, 2021, 01:23:22 PM
Keep Linehan out of it, keep any of that transphobic cult's in-jokes / references out of it, keep our in-jokes out of it. Maybe include an obvious reference to CaB, and make it a positive, pro-trans pitch, rather than something pettily raised in opposition to a niche sub-group of bigots and weirdos.

A lot of people here (or at least in that Linehan thread) are very, very immersed in all the obscure references, language, and news stories around this issue and specifically Linehan's little gang. But if you want to reach beyond people who know those references, the fundraiser needs to be more accessible.

Yeah this ^^.

pigamus

Fine, but in that case there's no reason to do it on the 19th at all.

Zetetic

And some good arguments for doing it in the next few weeks starting ASAP, particularly for the group's involved in actually directly helping people with fairly urgent needs.

Kelvin

Quote from: pigamus on November 13, 2021, 01:34:11 PM
Fine, but in that case there's no reason to do it on the 19th at all.

I still think its fine to have the fundraiser as a counter-point to their big bigot day out. It's worth having something that undermines their idiotic, pointless efforts with something that actually helps and supports trans people.

flotemysost

Yep, and if anyone wanted to get involved without directly relating it to all the Twitter goings-on, I'm sure that would be possible.

For example in my case, the email I'm sort of drafting in my head is along the lines of: "Hi, some people I know are organising a fundraising event for trans charities [or specific charity name] on 19th December - this is in response to recent online transphobic campaigns, as way of counteracting the hate and providing some much needed support to the invaluable work [charity/ies] do. I wondered if [company] might be interested in putting a feature on the intranet around the same time to raise awareness, with links to fundraising pages and relevant information [or any other, better ideas I can come up with]?".

Or something along those lines (as much as I love this place, I'm not sure it's wise to directly advertise my presence here to my work!). I know something like that wouldn't have to happen on/around the 19th, but as Kelvin and Zetetic say it seems as good a springboard as any for a worthy cause.

I guess I'm thinking that kind of thing (i.e. aimed more broadly at getting non-CaBbers to donate) could run in tandem with stuff that's aimed more specifically at people who are involved in/aware of the Twitter/CaB stuff, maybe? I think both angles could garner a decent amount of support.

I have next to no experience of fundraising/campaigning though, and practically zero Twitter/social media presence, so I'm not saying this is the best way of doing it necessarily - I'm just sort of garbling ideas really.

Dr Rock

I think you get max publicity by mentioning that it's a response to glinner's latest stunt, it's is likely to get more mentions, especially from people like Kate Montgomerie and other trans YouTubers who will probably cover his 'coming out' day anyway - then they can segue into how a great way to oppose such transphobia is a fundraiser by a comedy website who have long been troubled that King Terf came out of the comedy world. Some people will donate out of spite, like with Hbomberguy's Mermaids fundraiser, who otherwise may not have given.

Pink News would cover that, they may not if its 'just' a fundraiser by CaB.

Dr Rock

Also, could we attempt some kind of challenge, like Hbomber did? Like members aim to fill 100 pages with mockery of Linehan over a 24 hour period; songs, poems, jokes, photoshops etc.

pigamus

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 13, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
I think you get max publicity by mentioning that it's a response to glinner's latest stunt, it's is likely to get more mentions, especially from people like Kate Montgomerie and other trans YouTubers who will probably cover his 'coming out' day anyway - then they can segue into how a great way to oppose such transphobia is a fundraiser by a comedy website who have long been troubled that King Terf came out of the comedy world. Some people will donate out of spite, like with Hbomberguy's Mermaids fundraiser, who otherwise may not have given.

Pink News would cover that, they may not if its 'just' a fundraiser by CaB.

Yeah I agree. It is a difficult one though. I do understand why people don't want to signal boost him. Hard to know whether or not his fuckery will be a damp squib or not.

The Guppy

With the Mermaids/Hbomb thing, Glinner had a hand in Mermaids' lottery funding being withdrawn. So a "fuck you, Graham" campaign made sense, because he'd done significant harm.

Dec 19th will just be some bigots revealing they're bigots to people who already know they're bigots, and maybe leaving some teacakes outside a primary school or cloning a Dilophosaurus. Damp squib for sure. I don't like the idea of giving them oxygen.

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 13, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
Some people will donate out of spite, like with Hbomberguy's Mermaids fundraiser, who otherwise may not have given.
But this is a good point. I think a lot of people would donate out of spite.

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 13, 2021, 04:55:20 PM
Also, could we attempt some kind of challenge, like Hbomber did? Like members aim to fill 100 pages with mockery of Linehan over a 24 hour period; songs, poems, jokes, photoshops etc.

I would be 100% down for this.

Maybe JamesTC could write another episode of Gary for every milestone we hit?

I think it could (and should) be done to counter this gross gender critical coming out day, but I'd steer clear of going for Glinner on any of the official fundraising pages if we end up choosing JustGiving or similar. That may well break their terms and conditions. It could even result in the charity having to reject the money if they didn't think it was raised particularly ethically, which they may say is the case if we're attacking an individual on a donation page - even though they'll agree with the sentiment.

Of course, people from here will be more than free to talk about it as an anti-Glinner fundraiser in their own tweets etc. Nobody can really stop that, and a good fundraiser does genuinely rely on people sharing their own stories - so if someone tweets that Glinner's banancuntery has caused them to understand discrimination against trans people then that's to be encouraged.

But I'd definitely avoid making it about him on donation pages or in official hashtags. What individuals then go and do on social media or on here is entirely up to them.

Cold Meat Platter

Yeah feel daft for suggesting he should be referenced now. Fuck him. It was just funny when HBomberguy called him a pissman.
How about involving comedy in some way though? A hashtag that promotes inclusive comedy? Sorry if it's been suggested, as noted these threads are a rollercoaster.

Catalogue Trousers

I have...minor issues with Mermaids. Not their general goals so much as the occasional dangerous narcissist parent who's been heavily involved with them. Also, hbomberguy's charity stream netted them a serious sum in the recent past. It'd be nice to spread the bounty among some less well-known trans charities. Gendered Intelligence has a fine rep and is doing great work, so I'd personally go for them.

But, as Kelvin says, yeah, whichever we choose to donate to, keep Glinner's name out of it.

QDRPHNC

Being completely honest, I'm not getting the squeamishness around mentioning Glinner. I thought the 19th was selected to make a point of being in opposition to the BC.

This is just a thought experiment, but I have to imagine we'll get more traction with "We're a forum who tracks Graham's lunatic shit and we picked this day to do something positive to counteract the negative thing he is also doing today. Want to join in and show the prick what a small group he speaks for?" vs. "Hello, you don't know us, would you like to donate to charity?"

Catalogue Trousers

Or, conversely, we look like a cranky bunch of obsessive stalkers with an axe to grind. Obviously not true, but it's the risk run when people start focussing their opprobrium on one comparatively insignificant figure.

earl_sleek

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 14, 2021, 04:37:15 PM
Being completely honest, I'm not getting the squeamishness around mentioning Glinner. I thought the 19th was selected to make a point of being in opposition to the BC.

This is just a thought experiment, but I have to imagine we'll get more traction with "We're a forum who tracks Graham's lunatic shit and we picked this day to do something positive to counteract the negative thing he is also doing today. Want to join in and show the prick what a small group he speaks for?" vs. "Hello, you don't know us, would you like to donate to charity?"

I think that wasn't a bad idea at first, but it's obvious now that 'GC coming out day' is gonna be a damp squib; all we would be doing is signal-boosting it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 14, 2021, 04:43:23 PM
Or, conversely, we look like a cranky bunch of obsessive stalkers with an axe to grind. Obviously not true, but it's the risk run when people start focussing their opprobrium on one comparatively insignificant figure.

It's a fair point, but for better or worse, this is probably the number one place on the internet to stay up to date on his bananacuntery. Seems a bit odd that after literally thousands of pages and some social media recognition (thanks to Madhair's thread intros) we're above saying his name for a good cause.

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 14, 2021, 04:50:49 PM
I think that wasn't a bad idea at first, but it's obvious now that 'GC coming out day' is gonna be a damp squib; all we would be doing is signal-boosting it.

Well, either we raise more money signal-boosting his sad damp squib so more people get to laugh at it, or we meet his damp squib with our own.

Kelvin

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 14, 2021, 04:37:15 PM

Can't the same be achieved by individuals pushing that angle rather than the fundraiser and hashtags themselves, though?

I do kind of feel like the fundraiser should have something to make it stand out, though. Although personally I think it would be better to find a better, more accessible angle than "former obscure celebrity is now bananas".

Finally, I don't know how much something like this could realistically make, but for a first time trying something like this, is it really a good idea to split what's raised between multiple charities, when it might be better to pick one (or at most two) charities who could benefit from a larger sum?

QDRPHNC

Yeah... I don't the know the answer. Maybe I'm just in a punchy mood today.

One charity to focus on seems to be the way to go from our resident charity expert/s.

earl_sleek

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 14, 2021, 04:53:11 PM
Well, either we raise more money signal-boosting his sad damp squib so more people get to laugh at it

I'm doubtful people who weren't going to donate will do so because we mention the bananacunt. Hbomb's thing worked because he already had a large following on Youtube, not just because he attacked Greyme.

jamiefairlie

I'll get Mucker, Trucker, Ducker and Sucker, you get Spaz!

Dr Rock

BUMP

Can someone find out if we would endanger our fundraising efforts if it was linked to mocking Glinner?

Dr Rock

I'm going to ask Tunnock's Tea Cakes if they are terf-friendly

jamiefairlie

I used to know Boyd Tunnock through work and he's to the right of, and more bigoted than, the DUP.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Barry Admin

I've been awake all night again and am still pretty jumpy and emotional and stuff after recent IRL events, so I'm all for this, but you folks are gonna have to do what you can; I don't think it's great timing for me to go full throttle on something like this, I literally have no idea how it will even work given I don't use social media, and most folks who know of CaB hate the site as they're not allowed to flog their shitey ebooks and stuff on here.

So you need to help me with this and be proactive  pleeeeease.

Johnny Yesno

#ComingOutInSupportOfTransPeople #ComingOutAgainstBigotry That kind of thing?

flotemysost

^ I like both of these, fwiw. I did wonder if something like #TerfOutHate could be an option (if it hasn't already been done), but completely understand if that's a bad idea and maybe open to misinterpretation, and if it's best we don't mention them at all and focus instead on the fact that it's a positive, supportive act of solidarity.

samadriel

Quote from: flotemysost on November 17, 2021, 11:42:09 PM
^ I like both of these, fwiw. I did wonder if something like #TerfOutHate could be an option (if it hasn't already been done), but completely understand if that's a bad idea and maybe open to misinterpretation, and if it's best we don't mention them at all and focus instead on the fact that it's a positive, supportive act of solidarity.
Agreed. I find that intense injokey, obscure, codified language like we, quite frankly, do use in the Glinner threads gives off a creepy Shen Yun vibe when you aren't a part of it. The Glinner threads are better than the Falun Gong because they're funny (and educational!) but nevertheless, people don't enjoy being distracted by some bullshit about bananas while they're begrudgingly giving you some headspace during their busy day. It's potentially worse for a cause started the way ours was, because rather than giving off creepy evangelical zeal vibes, we give off something worse -- 4channy alt-righty selling-hatred-in-code-because-otherwise-no-one-will-buy-it vibes. Blab on about Glinner in code, and people will think they're being bullshitted by internet kids, like when wingnuts try and sell "there's nothing wrong with bring white". Ironically, that's the way people react to just about all TERF codewank, it makes people think, "if these people can't come straight out with the truth of what they're talking about, they must know their message is fucked."

Stick to the powerful dedication against hatred, maybe going as far as mentioning Dec 19 as a day "sad anti-trans bigots want to glorify" or something like that, for a little context as to why Dec 19 is the day. Even then, that feels a little codey to me, but it wouldn't turn me off if I heard it as part of an honest, positive pitch.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 17, 2021, 03:42:33 PM#ComingOutInSupportOfTransPeople #ComingOutAgainstBigotry That kind of thing?

#ComeOutAgainstBigotry is one I'm liking since a lot don't want like specific meme-code. It should get the point across rather straightforward. I'm still a fan of the cavalry one though.