Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How great were Siouxsie and the Banshees?

Started by Dirty Boy, November 12, 2021, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 13, 2021, 02:13:04 PM
How the fuck did your mate contrive to have his The Glove single ready for signing when they came out of the restaurant?

Because he saw them in there and just lives round the corner apparently. I don't know the guy but someone I'm mates with on Facebook knows him.

I do know of a similar story with Steve Severin. Someone I know saw him in a pub in Edinburgh and ran home to get a Banshees album for him to sign. He was not impressed, Severin that is.

SweetPomPom

Not enough John McGeoch on this page.

Really like the glossy run through their Peepshow - Superstition era  too. Top tours peeking with that Lolla lineup in 91. Those torch songs on each album - Last Beat Of My Heart, Ghost In You and then Face to Face were the business.

(Obviously not as good as Night Shift or Monitor - that guitar..)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: mobias on November 13, 2021, 05:30:23 PM
Because he saw them in there and just lives round the corner apparently. I don't know the guy but someone I'm mates with on Facebook knows him.

I do know of a similar story with Steve Severin. Someone I know saw him in a pub in Edinburgh and ran home to get a Banshees album for him to sign. He was not impressed, Severin that is.

Ah, lucky.

There's some good stuff on the album (along with some clunkers, admittedly) and it seems to have influenced the direction Smith took with The Cure's The Top. Years ago, I read somewhere that Smith and Severin were taking a lot of acid at that time and during one flight to Australia they were so high that when they landed, they had no idea where they were.

purlieu

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SweetPomPom on November 12, 2021, 10:29:32 PM

I genuinely never realised Budgie was scouse until the podcast, fuck my hat etc.

Budgie's not a Scouser, he's from St. Helens.

gilbertharding

Is this the right thread to say that the village next to where I live has a Chinese takeaway which I presume is named after a Banshees song. That's right: Happy House.

True story.

Norton Canes

Their great overlooked classic is Song From The Edge Of The World.

Let's see how fucking fantastic Siouxsie looked performing it on Get Fresh
Let's see how fucking fantastic Siouxsie looked performing it on The Roxy

Only reached no.59 in the UK charts so never made TOTP (if only that Year Zero revamp had come a few years earlier, huh). Definitely having it played at my funeral.

purlieu

Used to live round the corner from where Siouxsie grew up, and a few minutes walk from the Hong Kong Garden. Can't remember what it's called now, but it's still a takeaway.

Pauline Walnuts

Are the staff a race of bodies small in size?

[/cheap shot]

McChesney Duntz

Now, let's be fair, nothing Siouxsie's ever said or done implies any prejudice against Asians on her part.

It's the Jews she hates.

H-O-W-L

I like their cover of The Passenger and Spellbound is on my top tracks of all time list. That guitar/drum/bass combo is... well, spellbinding.

wrec

The first seven albums are incredible as far as I'm concerned (apart from The Lord's Prayer which is wilfully filler-y and reminds me of Bart's terrible twos "I am so great" chant), comparable to Can's first 7 as an innovative run Lots of incredible b-sides in that period too. I think they lose a bit of magic with Through the Looking Glass and Peepshow feels occasionally slightly contrived and conventional to me (though Peekaboo sounded amazing when it came out). I don't think I've ever listened to the last two albums which is very odd.

Juju, Kaleidoscope and The Scream are just about perfect.
I have a soft spot for Tinderbox as it was the first I got as a kid. Hyena is a really strange and feverish album, and Swimming Horses is one of their best singles IMO. A Kiss in the Dreamhouse was another one I played a lot as a kid and maybe underrate a bit due to overfamiliarity. In 1979, there was the incident with The Lord's Prayer, but otherwise really throwing off any remaining punk constraints.

Considering them as a post punk band, I think I'd only put Joy Division and The Fall before them (and it feels like The Fall aren't exactly in that category somehow). PiL's reputation rests mostly on Metal Box but their output is comparatively patchy and unfocused otherwise. Killing Joke are up there but just behind them I think. Crucially I think they're a better band than The Cure, though I used to think Faith was the best album by either band, would have to give that a spin and mull it over to see if I still agree with myself there.

poodlefaker

He knew they were in town, checked the Edinburgh entries in Egon Ronay's Goth Food Guide and took a punt.