Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amateur

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 31, 2021, 09:52:36 PM
She strikes me as having now edge or genuine personality anymore, whatsoever. Sitting there, with her BFFs, Myleene and Caitlyn, talking about how her dad was a miner whilst writing silly books for children. 3rd highest female earner at the BBC (5k more than Vanessa Feltz!). Just seems to live in some privileged little bubble, the Guardian's 'The Measure' column personified. I'm probably being unfair.

I think that is a tad unfair. I've never heard her mention her showbiz chums on the breakfast show, where you'd have to say the focus feels more about the music than others on at that time (aside from NTS and other online stations). She does play some right old rackets though.

Huw Stephens in this week as she's off ill.

earl_sleek

I can believe Laverne is lovely, she seems nice, but her breakfast show is so dull (music choices, chat and features[nb]Apart from Maths of Life with lovely Dr Hannah Fry[/nb]) I've stopped listening to it as it was sending me back to sleep. I'd rather have someone who was a bit more of a bastard if they were more rousing.

Chicory

Ooooh, 6Music have a new 'artist in residence'.  Can you guess who they are?

lazyhour

Last one was Angel Olsen, right?

My guess is either Nick Cave or Self Esteem.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

John Grant? They're always wanking him off.

Chicory

The Mollusk

I refuse to believe that's not an AI-generated image of "hipster vlogger grime music collab".

George Oscar Bluth II

The newest 'Wet Leg' track isn't as excruciatingly annoying as the first one so that's a relief isn't it.

shiftwork2

One day the story of Wet Leg and what exactly they have on 6 Music will come out.

I'm going for the usual BBC 'went to the same school' or straight-up nepotism.  The simplest explanation is probably correct.

Chicory

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 11, 2021, 10:55:02 AM
I refuse to believe that's not an AI-generated image of "hipster vlogger grime music collab".

An idle thought indeed!

Janie Jones

I feel compelled to confess that I love Idles new single, 'Beachland Ballroom.' Back to their dated generic indie roots and a reminder that Talbot can actually sing. The 'Part 1' video is however one of the most unwatchably awful things I have ever seen, jerky footage of a sweaty face filmed so close up you can see the bits of food in his teeth.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Chicory on November 12, 2021, 07:28:14 AM
An idle thought indeed!

Haha fucking hell I didn't actually know it was them. Just went on the site to check, fucks sake the photo of them, bloke with his hand up to his face, call me cynical but I'm certain he's doing that just to show us he's wearing nail polish.

buzby

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 11, 2021, 07:45:40 PM
One day the story of Wet Leg and what exactly they have on 6 Music will come out.

I'm going for the usual BBC 'went to the same school' or straight-up nepotism.  The simplest explanation is probably correct.
They both say they are from the Isle of Wight, but they are not natives - Rhian Teasdale moved there from Liverpool aged 8, and Hester Chambers moved there when she was a baby. The do seem like nice middle class girls who went to went to the same art college. Teasdale had originally been a solo artist (under the name RHAIN) around 2017 doing Florence Welch/Regina Spektor-esque vocal operatics and piano pieces and it wasn't going well (though she got as far as getting positive reviews in the national press), so she roped in her art college friend Chambers on guitar to help her for live dates, and that's how they came to form Wet Leg (after seeing an IDLES gig, apparently). She has definitely been around the block before.

They were signed up on the 'BBC Introducing' thing last year (Teasdale had also been on it as a solo artist in 2016) with the release of their debut single, which means the BBC will give them a free push.

I find it a bit odd that they have been together as a group since 2019, but have only put out two singles, over a year apart. Either they have a glacially slow work rate, or there's a lot of material Domino have knocked back. They were also booked onto US tour at the end of last year having only put out one single, It's all quite strange.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 20, 2021, 09:16:29 PM
I was disappointed that my hour's drive home was still going to be soundtracked by crematorium Steve and his 'band t-shirts' and his anecdotes about meeting the drummer out of Cud in 'the student union bar'.  But then I realised I could time-shift Craig on BBC Sounds.  And it's been great.  I've always had a soft spot for him.  A natural broadcaster and a fun show so far.

I think Keaveney was once quite inventive and invested in his show (XFM, and early 6 music).

Laughed. Cremacq. I'm starting to get unreasonably angry that Cremacq is on when I've finished work and need to ditch the computer screen and cook some tea, the perfect time to put the radio on. But who wants that black jeans sludge polluting their kitchen. Maybe I just need to bin the DAB and put a Bluetooth speaker in there instead.

Chicory

Warmduscher are another bunch of nitwits that Silly Six seem to adore.  The usually trustworthy Marc Riley in particular finds them fascinating.  I quite enjoyed 'Midnight Dipper' at the time but when I found out they're not actually American but just another part of the long, tedious and unfunny Fat White Family joke, I just couldn't.

Das Reboot

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 12, 2021, 10:27:13 PM
Maybe I just need to bin the DAB and put a Bluetooth speaker in there instead.

I'm a convert to Sounds. As shit as it is, it's the best way to listen to 6 - either on a delay or picking a show from the schedule - so you can skip the playlist tracks. Also, I hope the BBC are taking note how quickly I turn off when: "...at seven: Marc Riley; and now: Steve La-...". If we all did this, maybe, just maybe, the data will be so damning that they'll have no choice but to ditch the dullard.

gilbertharding

I've notice Stuart Maconie 'liked' two tweets from different people (Helen Lewis was one. I forget the other) ridiculing an Ash Sarkar tweet about remembrance.

I knew he was a dick, but I never really realised he was a cunt. He is a cunt though, isn't he?

AllisonSays

Quote from: Chicory on November 13, 2021, 10:48:00 AM
Warmduscher are another bunch of nitwits that Silly Six seem to adore.  The usually trustworthy Marc Riley in particular finds them fascinating.  I quite enjoyed 'Midnight Dipper' at the time but when I found out they're not actually American but just another part of the long, tedious and unfunny Fat White Family joke, I just couldn't.

Someday there's going to be a six-part podcast episode about what you've perfectly described as the 'long, tedious and unfunny FWF'. What the fuck is all that about then. I suspect some kind of government conspiracy.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 13, 2021, 02:43:46 PM
I've notice Stuart Maconie 'liked' two tweets from different people (Helen Lewis was one. I forget the other) ridiculing an Ash Sarkar tweet about remembrance.

I knew he was a dick, but I never really realised he was a cunt. He is a cunt though, isn't he?

Not only that, but in his book Pies and Prejudice, he compares Sheffield unfavourably with Rotherham. Necklacing's too good for him.

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone listened to Afrodeutsche yet?

I'm listening to yesterday's show and the selection has been great so far but I'm finding her presentation style a little bit over-enthusiastic and contrived. A fair bit of "so we've... how long have I got?... two hours, am I going to be able to fit all this in?" and "It's... what day is it, oh god is it friday already?" type shtick. She had a text in feature about bad habits (hers was snacking in bread) and when offering the number whispered "it'll be our little secret". All a bit manic local radio dj for me.

I skimmed Maconie's book supposedly about the history of the Welfare State and couldn't help noticing that he's made it all about him.* He's very snide about the supposedly outrageous idea that the Welfare State was just a bone thrown out to prevent real structural change. Yet Maconie is clearly familiar with 'The Headmaster Ritual', 'Kes' etc which show how little of that feelgood factor really trickled down in the 60s-70s. In fact he fucking lived through it.

*Even this reviewer recognizes the cult of personality that the books intentionally generate:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/15/the-nanny-state-made-me-stuart-maconie-rose-tinted-defence

Pauline Walnuts

I was mooching through the old threads when I was bored last nite, saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

I'm not a fan of the man or his music, but I'm with Father John Misty, when you ask a question maybe try listening to the answer before Radcliffe and Maconie YEH YEAH, I WANNA KEEP TALKING I HAVE AN AMUSING IN-JOKE I NEED TO CROWBAR IN. (In stereo as they're both doing it)

It was on the charmingly titled https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=62324.0

Mark E Smith is gone, but Van Morrison has re-found his form.

Das Reboot

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 14, 2021, 09:42:12 AM
I was mooching through the old threads when I was bored last nite, saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

Reminds me of when Jon Spencer of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion fame did a session for Radcliffe's graveyard show on Radio 1 in ye olde times. The interview went off the rails quite quickly.

From about seven minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZig5ZBhhU

Pauline Walnuts

It's like if Elvis Presley came back from his faked death and Radcliffe spends half his interview doing his hilarious Elvis impression. The other half literal burbling.

What's happening to me, I used to like Mark Radcliffe, now I seem to hate everything...

amateur

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 13, 2021, 03:51:20 PM
Has anyone listened to Afrodeutsche yet?

I'm listening to yesterday's show and the selection has been great so far but I'm finding her presentation style a little bit over-enthusiastic and contrived. A fair bit of "so we've... how long have I got?... two hours, am I going to be able to fit all this in?" and "It's... what day is it, oh god is it friday already?" type shtick. She had a text in feature about bad habits (hers was snacking in bread) and when offering the number whispered "it'll be our little secret". All a bit manic local radio dj for me.

Your instincts are correct - that show is produced by Reform Radio, which is a community station in Manchester.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Das Reboot on November 14, 2021, 11:54:17 AM
Reminds me of when Jon Spencer of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion fame did a session for Radcliffe's graveyard show on Radio 1 in ye olde times. The interview went off the rails quite quickly.

From about seven minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZig5ZBhhU

I suspect there are some backstage goings on that we don't know about pre-interview, but Radcliffe comes over very 'school marm' in this instance. Sorry, I meant to say, 'Radcliffe comes over very 'school marmerrrmeeermmerrmarmish' in this instance.

bobloblaw

back to the ubiquitous Chaise Longue...

6music outdoing itself on Twitter, hunting clicks by stating they only have 2 songs.... which is your favourite?
This poser hasn't exactly set social media on fire...

https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1462880379522670595

Barry Admin

What the fuck happened to this station? Why would you play an absolute piece of shit local radio song like Tequila by Terrorvision, when they had three records packed full of bangers?

Pauline Walnuts

Did they do the 'To Kill Her' joke? That would explain it.

the science eel

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 13, 2021, 02:43:46 PMI've notice Stuart Maconie 'liked' two tweets from different people (Helen Lewis was one. I forget the other) ridiculing an Ash Sarkar tweet about remembrance.

Yes. I like some of the stuff he plays on the Sunday show but his 'reverence' for a lot of it is both puzzling and vomit-inducing. He's an arse