Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good old Columbo

Started by Nowhere Man, November 14, 2021, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

5USA is airing Columbo episodes pretty much all day today from 9:30am to 11pm

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/mobile/channellisting.asp?ch=375

Gotta love the scruffy fella

"Oh uh, excuse me sir, just one more thing.."

Bronzy

RIP bgmnts' old profile picture.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't they do that most weekends?

My personal favourites are Donald Pleasence as the wine guy, the first Shatner one where he uses some drugs and a VCR to create an alibi and Leonard Nimoy as the surgeon.

Blumf

https://twitter.com/smallercolumbo
https://twitter.com/smallercolumbo/status/1306722398851407873
Quotetryna crack this nou case i'm on, you know, it's really stumping me. i need te ask this womanna few questions and, wouldn't you know it, she's in her house an i can't reach de doorbell to even let her know am here!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gfj1FFaC0k

bgmnts

Quote from: Bronzy on November 14, 2021, 01:54:43 AM
RIP bgmnts' old profile picture.

It is a thing of beauty innit? It's notable in how incredibly dangerous a stunt it is as well.

But this new thing tickled me so I had to change:

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2021, 05:35:27 AM
It is a thing of beauty innit? It's notable in how incredibly dangerous a stunt it is as well.

Wasn't a stunt, it was a genuine accident that they decided to keep in.

Cerys

By a strange coincidence, the thread title is exactly what my family would say, in chorus, at the end of each episode.

mothman

It makes me think of "He's not just there for the nasty things in life, like a blocked drain or a celebrity murder."

"Oh, ah, just one more thing, sir, you being a rare book dealer, I was wondering - do you have a copy of Fly Fishing, by J.R. Hartley?"

bgmnts

Quote from: Blumf on November 14, 2021, 11:10:37 AM

Holy shit that makes a lot more sense considering how easily he could've broken something. Consider my hat well and truly fucked.

Glebe

"My wife's a big fan, I wonder could I get an autograph?"

"Why certainly, detective!"

"That's a handwriting match take him away boys."

*Don Ameche is led away in handcuffs*

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 14, 2021, 02:22:38 AM
Don't they do that most weekends?...

Every Sunday - on Saturdays, they show Murder She Wrote. 5USA did used to show a single Columbo episode on Saturdays.

Channel 5 sometimes shows Columbo and both ITV and ITV3 show episodes fairly often.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on November 14, 2021, 01:36:49 PM
"My wife's a big fan, I wonder could I get an autograph?"

"Why certainly, detective!"

"That's a handwriting match take him away boys."

*Don Ameche is led away in handcuffs*

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Ameche played a lawyer in Suitable for Framing, but was not involved in the crime in any way. Also, Columbo had far too much class to have the high society criminal be restrained in handcuffs.

No wonder this forum is on its knees.

bgmnts

I think it was biggy who tried to convince us Columbo was essentially a crooked cop but I can't bring myself to even think about it like that.

mothman

bgmnts

I think it was because he tends to entrap people and the like. Maybe not a crooked cop but something like that.

I don't think Columbo's cases would do well in court anyway.

An tSaoi

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 15, 2019, 07:22:26 AM
My favourite thing about Columbo is whilst he is a genius he is actually the worst detective of all time, with a zero conviction rate. All his cases rely on off the record confessions, elaborate entrapment operations and planted evidence. Not only would all his evidence be ruled inadmissible in court, he'd probably be struck off for misconduct.

Kelvin

I tell myself that his initial gotcha moment leads to a slew of more mundane evidence being found after the episode.

bgmnts

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 15, 2021, 06:29:59 PM

Oh so not corrupt but incompetent. Even worse! He's probably right though the bastard.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mothman on November 15, 2021, 06:14:17 PM
What was his argument?

A fair bit was based on not understanding what would be ruled inadmissible and what was considered fair game. Getting two suspects to think the other was about to confess and paint the other as the main culprit by essentially lying to each and presenting them with the prisoner's dilemma in A Trace of Murder, for instance, wouldn't have been problematic but standard practice. There was a widespread fallacy that a confession is the gold standard of evidence as someone innocent just simply wouldn't - or couldn't - confess to something they didn't do, which to a large degree a lot of people buy into still. The idea that an 'off the record' confession would be a case of misconduct is rather sweet.

That's not to say that Colombo's methods weren't entirely unproblematic but less so that was being argued. Also, the argument rather depends on Columbo being a procedural cop show - which is doomed from the start, given the unrealism; Columbo is a lieutenant etc etc.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 15, 2021, 06:06:02 PM
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Ameche played a lawyer in Suitable for Framing, but was not involved in the crime in any way. Also, Columbo had far too much class to have the high society criminal be restrained in handcuffs.

Beat me to that observation. Presumably no-one's read the recently published Shooting Columbo by David Koenig.

chveik

we know real life cops are ten times more incompetent than columbo ever was

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 15, 2021, 06:55:41 PM
the argument rather depends on Columbo being a procedural cop show

yep, it's much more interesting than that

pigamus

A lot of people, including Falk himself, strongly believed that Columbo actually just lived on his own in some crummy apartment, and everything else was a lie. But why would such a nice man be on his own?

bgmnts

He's married to the job.

Well, he had a dog at least.

Although it would mean he decided to go on a cruise on his own, which is strange.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 15, 2021, 06:06:02 PM
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Can you do Six Degrees of Columbo like Will Smith[nb]Not that one[/nb] does with Bergerac? If you name a film, he can use the actors in it to hop from there to a Bergerac episode in six moves or fewer.

An tSaoi

Quote from: pigamus on November 15, 2021, 07:36:13 PM
A lot of people, including Falk himself, strongly believed that Columbo actually just lived on his own in some crummy apartment, and everything else was a lie. But why would such a nice man be on his own?

I think there are episodes where he buys gifts for his wife. If it was all part of the act, why bother?

Anyway a man with one eye would be disqualified from being a policeman. SHOW RUINED.

His wife is in at least one episode (when the Columbo's are on their hols). We, the audience don't see her, but other people in the episode do.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 15, 2021, 09:00:28 PM
His wife is in at least one episode (when the Columbo's are on their hols). We, the audience don't see her, but other people in the episode do.

Yes, and there's at least one episode where someone passes on a phone message from Mrs Columbo, another one when he calls his wife (I think when to discuss dinner plans) when the villain isn't around, another one where he phones his wife but she's out and speaks to an in-law.

In Identity Crisis, Patrick McGoohan's character bugs Columbo's house and claims that he knows Mrs Columbo's favourite piece of music as a result. Plus, there are loads of times when he mentions his wife in casual conversation to a complete stranger.

The kind of logic needed to think there's no Mrs Columbo defies logic.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jake Thingray on November 15, 2021, 07:04:15 PM
Beat me to that observation. Presumably no-one's read the recently published Shooting Columbo by David Koenig.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek as it's Glebe but....

Hadn't realised the Koenig book was out, will have to look out for it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chveik on November 15, 2021, 07:23:38 PM
we know real life cops are ten times more incompetent than columbo ever was

yep, it's much more interesting than that

Good point about real life cops!

phantom_power

Quote from: Blumf on November 14, 2021, 11:10:37 AM

But there are three different shots?