Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rolling Stone article on Marilyn Manson

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, November 15, 2021, 08:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

New Rolling Stone piece containing harrowing testimony from Manson's victims and inner circle [WARNING: contains graphic details of abuse]:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/marilyn-manson-abuse-allegations-1256888/

I've never been a fan, but like many others I was impressed by his articulate interviews in Bowling for Columbine and elsewhere, and was fooled into assuming his edgy shtick was all just an act. Revelations from the past couple of years obviously put paid to any doubt as to his true nature, but reading the above (and ongoing lawsuits notwithstanding) it seems unbelievable that the sick cunt is not already rotting in a prison cell.

(Previous thread on this subject is here)

QDRPHNC

That's rough reading, can't imagine wanting to listen to him again after that.

chveik

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fucking hell, that's harrowing. Those poor women. I'm glad he's finally been outed, but he hid in plain sight for far too long.

daf

Kankurette

I still like his music but he is a Grade A cunt. Fuck him and his apologist fans both.

ETA: I read the whole thing and all I can say is, talk about hiding in plain sight. He was doing this shit for years and people just thought it was all part of the act and didn't realise what a cruel monster Manson really was. And it wasn't an act.

Brundle-Fly

And yet, he seemed so ordinary?

'AErrrEErrrgh....As it 'appens,... now then, now then...a very busy man, what do' yer say? ...etc

Vitalstatistix

His appearances recently alongside Kanye West were such a 'fuck you' to sexual abuse survivors everywhere. West and Bieber should be fucking ashamed of themselves. As blatant a demonstration of power, delusion, ignorance and callousness as you're likely to see anywhere.

Glebe

Yeah read this yesterday, utterly horrendous and depressing. Cowardly little shit abusing his girlfriends then hiding behind his bodyguards when somebody has a go at him. I was never a fan of his music, he always seemed more about image... 'The Beautiful People' is the only thing I could ever really be arsed with and that's more of just a chant really. In any case I hope justice is served.

idunnosomename

Kankurette

I was reading Tori Amos' book Piece By Piece recently and she mentioned a man who actively enjoyed hurting people, who was happy at the expense of others, and after reading that article, I wonder if it was Manson. She moved in the same '90s alternative rock circles as him, she was mates with Trent Reznor, so I'm sure their paths would have crossed at some point. She also talked about rock stars getting god complexes and starting to believe they really are that archetype and getting carried away by their own hype.

And some of his dickhead fans are STILL insisting the women are all lying and trying to ruin his career. Even though there's a clear pattern in the stories, about how he'd lovebomb them and then hurt them without their consent, shut them in a recording booth for hours, ply them with drugs (two of the women in the interview lost loads of weight because of it), regularly threaten to kill them. The whole thing sounds like Jimmy Savile in that everyone kind of knew what was going on, Manson being a giant abusive creep was an open secret and yet so many people just let him get away with it. I wonder as well how many people didn't want to be thought of as prudish or kinkshaming. Goth/metal and BDSM circles do tend to overlap and there were some very unpleasant people in the goth/metal/BDSM scene in Manchester. I wasn't as involved as some of my friends were but there were a couple of people who turned out to be monsters. One of them abused a friend of mine and got off scot free when they went to court. He's dead now.

I was browsing through The Long Hard Road Out of Hell and the scene with the deaf girl grossed me out so much. A bunch of lads putting meat on her head and pissing on her. And that was tame by Manson's standards. I'm also a Jack Off Jill fan and I remember Jessicka got dogs' abuse from Manson fans after she talked about Twiggy Ramirez raping her.

Brundle-Fly

Apart from MM being this alleged monster, it strikes me how much he suffers from arrested development. A middle aged man behaving like some bratty teenage Goth off stage is pretty embarrassing, nay pathetic.

batwings

Christ, makes feel embarrassed I had a brief fascination for this clown as a teenager

Even apart from the horrific stories of abuse, he was clearly always an absolutely pathetic edgelord cunt. And now he looks like a chubby goth Paul Dano.

Cuellar

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 15, 2021, 10:13:07 PM
That's rough reading, can't imagine wanting to listen to him again after that.

Or before

imitationleather

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Kankurette on November 16, 2021, 01:29:04 AM
He was doing this shit for years and people just thought it was all part of the act and didn't realise what a cruel monster Manson really was. And it wasn't an act.

Years ago I saw an interview with him and he was out costume and out of character (basically dressed and behaving like a normal person) and the interviewer mentioned his stage persona and he basically said he was a showman and the stage act was just schtick, and of course he's not like that off stage.  At the time I took that at face value and because I never looked deeply into anything else regarding him I never knew any different until all the recent stuff started coming out.

Kankurette

He was hiding in plain sight all the time. I mean, the whole 'it's just an act' thing allowed him to get away with so much awful stuff because people assumed he didn't mean it, all those rape comments were just part of the persona. And here we are.

peanutbutter

Arsehole to begin with, created an onstage character of his worst impulses that resulted in people being kinda unphased and tolerant of him acting on those impulses, which led to him gradually becoming more and more of an outright cunt.
Didn't even get to the end of the article cos its so long but he seemed to just progressively get worse in a manner that he honestly should be thankful he's getting called out now rather than a few years down the line cos fuck knows what he would be capable of.

Quite surprised  to see his more recent albums are still getting 1000+ ratings on RYM too, would've thought any Marilyn Manson music post-2000 to be totally ignored. I guess he's got a fanbase like ICP who are totally disconnected from absolutely everything else.

The Mollusk

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 17, 2021, 01:44:20 AM
Quite surprised  to see his more recent albums are still getting 1000+ ratings on RYM too, would've thought any Marilyn Manson music post-2000 to be totally ignored. I guess he's got a fanbase like ICP who are totally disconnected from absolutely everything else.

Yeah you should go to his Last.fm page and read the comments there. Vile people seemingly willing to ignore every accusation and other negative thing levelled against him.

PammySpacek

Icehaven

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 17, 2021, 11:36:23 AMYeah you should go to his Last.fm page and read the comments there. Vile people seemingly willing to ignore every accusation and other negative thing levelled against him.

It'd almost be easier to understand a stance of lazy indifference, "I don't care, it doesn't matter if I keep listening to him, it won't make any difference to what happened to these women", but calling blanket bullshit on so many accusations just to justify their fandom to themselves and others is extremely weak minded.

Back in the late 90's when a lot of my social circle were starting to get tattoos inspired by their favourite metal/rock bands I didn't think it was a great idea because you never know what's going to come out about them in the future. My best mate at the time had a NIN tattoo and I remember saying "What if Trent Reznor turns out to be a raving Hitler lover?" (which was just a hypothetical example, I was and remain a big NIN fan myself and Reznor obviously isn't a Nazi but, y'know, what if it had been the Lost Prophets?) Plus then there wasn't the internet so all we knew about rock stars was what we read in magazines or saw on TV, images were much more managed and distant than now and you didn't really know anything about them that they didn't want known. Not everyone has something horrible to hide of course, but enough people do for it to not be worth the risk of getting a stranger tattoed on yourself.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 03, 2022, 01:56:03 PMThe gloves are off it seems.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2022-03-02/marilyn-manson-sues-evan-rachel-wood-fraud-lawsuit

If it took him something like a year to file a complaint, it's most likely because he tried to do this as soon as Wood shared her story, that his usual lawyers were opposed to it and that, after a few months, he found other attorneys willing to do this.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 16, 2021, 05:46:23 PMApart from MM being this alleged monster, it strikes me how much he suffers from arrested development. A middle aged man behaving like some bratty teenage Goth off stage is pretty embarrassing, nay pathetic.

I won an unofficial videotape of Marilyn Manson in a competition. In one segment, he and presumably some band mates were staying in a fan's home, and they used the fan's toothbrush to clean their anuses, giggling like schoolchildren. Frankly, you'd expect a bit more class from 'the God of fuck'.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There's also his obsession with Eastbound and Down, especially the Steve character. He begged repeatedly Danny McBride to cast him as Steve, while they had already aired season 1. McBride, who received a ton of mail or phone calls from him, had to explain to him that they couldn't change actors just because he wanted the part, as if he had to explain the things of life to a child.
Eventually, he got a cameo as a waiter, and that was it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 08, 2022, 01:19:09 AMThere's also his obsession with Eastbound and Down, especially the Steve character. He begged repeatedly Danny McBride to cast him as Steve, while they had already aired season 1. McBride, who received a ton of mail or phone calls from him, had to explain to him that they couldn't change actors just because he wanted the part, as if he had to explain the things of life to a child.
Eventually, he got a cameo as a waiter, and that was it.

I've never seen the show but I'd bet foldin' money if the makers had made a list of every actor (or non-actor for that matter) they were considering for a part in their sitcom about sports, Marilyn fucking Manson's name would probably never, ever have come up.

The Mollusk