Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands with a hardcore fan following

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 16, 2020, 04:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

There's a Mountain Goats site where fans try to catalogue every show they've ever played with various bootlegs. Hardcore in an obsessive nerdy way, which is about right. The only band I'd consider travelling to see these days.

Dylan has a pretty mental fan base (I'm one of them). We even make excuses for the absolute pap put out in the early '80s or defend Christmas in the Heart. See him every time he plays near me, always simultaneously underwhelmed and awestruck which is a very strange feeling.

sutin

Quote from: Attila on June 18, 2020, 08:26:28 AM
There is a terrifying group of hardcore Kinks  fans that I used to encounter at Ray and especially Dave solo shows. Small group that you see in the front row/edge of the stage at every show including this one mad dude who's got to be close to 70 now, but is completely obsessed with Ray Davies (and the Ramones -- dude has been wearing in public a Ramones-style wig for decades).

This guy claims that he's the 'Dan the Fan' in 'Rock and Roll Fantasy' (not realising that wouldn't really be a compliment). He also completely ruins any message board/fan group online he discovers, because he relentlessly posts what appears to be 24/7. It reaches a point on them where he is the only one posting, and simply talks to himself, answering his own posts. Fuck knows where his money comes from, but he apparently goes to 300+ concerts a year (obviously not just the Kinks).

He contacted me when I doing a writing project on the band, and I still have the lengthy email he sent about how I didn't know what I was talking about, how he is the only true fan and true friend of Ray Davies, and that he'd never betray Ray or Dave by telling me any of their most intimate secrets. Absolute weirdo.

The UK-group of obsessives are fairly harmless, and in many cases, quite generous Kinks fans. The American group tended to be more clannish and nasty to people they considered outsiders -- I was pushed, punched, kicked, shoved, and subject constantly to abuse more in the US than any of the UK gigs I went to (I was doing photography in those days, with a pass, and fuck me the number of people who tried to take my camera, ruin shots, &c. What was most mind-boggling is they were kids; they were middle and later middle ages folks.) Strange times (late 90s, early 2000s).

Haha, Frank Lima! Yeah, that guy is insane. I like to follow his 'soap opera' (lol) on Facebook. Last I heard Dave Davies and his partner got a restraining order on him because (according to Lima) he sent them a christmas card to their house in New Jersey. He's always accusing Dave's son Christian Davies (who runs a popular Kinks Facebook group) of not being a proper fan because he hasn't been around since the beginning (due to not being born yet). He's Dave's son you fucking lunatic!!

Tool's fans don't seem to think any other band comes close to matching their supernatural genius.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 18, 2020, 04:26:40 PM
Slightly off topic, I recall Cardiacs gigs starting to get more popular and often hijacked by groups of crusties/grebos by the very end of the eighties. Moshing down the front became just that bit too aggressive when numbers like Burn Your House Brown got blasted out. It wasn't in the spirit of Cardiacs and I nearly lost a tooth so stopped going in the end; especially after Sarah Smith left. I sill regret that.

Cardiacs fans are a certain breed. Most of them post on CaB. I wonder what that says?

I like referring to them as the Cardiacs, to see what happens. Never 'The Cardiacs', mind. I'm not mad.

The Mollusk

jobotic

You know, that band you like. I want to say The Cardi.....gans?

The Mollusk

Glebe

justin_bennett

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 18, 2020, 04:27:26 PM

British Sea Power

Yes!  I was going to mention them.  Bunch of fucking freaks (the fans that is).  I ended up amongst them at a gig in Edinburgh and heard all sorts of stories via a friend who was briefly going out with one of them.  I think the band had to almost ban a few of them from gigs as they were getting too creepy.

Back in the day, all yer grebo types attracted the sausage-bag brigade to every show as well.

studpuppet

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 18, 2020, 05:02:16 PM
I was a Soundhead - I suppose the very loose collection of folks in 1989 who followed Loop around. But I was 15 so was never taken seriously. Probably for the best.

Did you all pray to Arc-Lite?

chveik

bands with a terminally online hardcore fan following are the worst for me, for instance drain gang and the like, i have no fucking clue what's going on

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: famethrowa on June 19, 2020, 01:46:26 PM
I can really believe that. I mean yes he was good and all for a few years, but 'kin hell these people need to calm down.

<---

JaDanketies

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 16, 2020, 07:39:13 PM
The memetic shitposting obsession with Death Grips as an online thing means that their fanbase are a raucous braying gaggle of teenage fucking cunts who follow them everywhere and obsess over everything they do. I really like Death Grips a lot, and broadly speaking I think their success is wholly earned, but fuck their fans. I've seen them live twice and both times the crowds were rammed with petulant inconsiderate little shits. I guess this is what happens when most of them might as well be totally anonymous online presences, no sense of community or gig etiquette or anything.

I saw Death Grips too and it was the worst gig crowd I've ever seen, people starting fights and everything. And I thought the same; they're a big band but they're not in any 'scene'.

dissolute ocelot

My little sister ran with the Mariah Carey fan pack for a while, tracking down her hotel, camping out in the lobby, touching her hand once. That kind of shit is way scarier than Levellers, Dreadzone, or any of that crusty lot, who probably sleep on their fans' floors. Petrol Girls fans are quite scary, I certainly wouldn't get on the wrong side of them in a debate.

Kankurette

I used to be one of these fans for Space. We used to turn up at sound check and hang out with the band before gigs. It got out of hand though - not with me, with other fans who got drunk and took the piss. Drinking their alcohol, bringing loads of people backstage. The new tour manager is much stricter about fans going backstage.

One of my mates is into OMD and apparently they have weird obnoxious fans, as do Republica. There's these two fans called Hazel and James who are batshit crazy and stalk Saffron everywhere.

And then there's Manics fans. They are their own breed of crazy.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: kngen on June 17, 2020, 01:22:37 PM

I know the Levellers had a big swathe of dreadlocked Ruperts following them about - can't remember what their name was, something cringe-inducing, no doubt. I remember marvelling at them all singing 'There's only one way of life. and that's your own' without a hint of irony - one big mass of wafty, tiedye breeks, dreadlocks and those weird itchy-looking, multicoloured hooded tops that appear to be made out of rafia.

Yes, fucking hell! Where do people even get those from, I've never seen one on sale anywhere. There's a white Rasta (sigh) in my manor who wears one of those with his knitted dreads cosy. I must get around to killing him one day.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on June 18, 2020, 01:59:36 PM
I did a phone interview with one of them around that time.

First question: "So how did you get together?"
First answer: "We're brothers."

Luckily we both saw the funny side.
Maid of Ace, who are all sisters, got asked that and their reply was along the lines of "in our dad's ballsack".

Quote from: Kankurette on November 16, 2021, 07:56:53 PM
Maid of Ace, who are all sisters, got asked that and their reply was along the lines of "in our dad's ballsack".

This is always Al from Chart Music's intro for any band formed of siblings.

"Formed in their dads bollocks in the 50s, The Jackson 5...."

Attila

Quote from: sutin on November 11, 2021, 12:24:32 AMHaha, Frank Lima! Yeah, that guy is insane. I like to follow his 'soap opera' (lol) on Facebook. Last I heard Dave Davies and his partner got a restraining order on him because (according to Lima) he sent them a christmas card to their house in New Jersey. He's always accusing Dave's son Christian Davies (who runs a popular Kinks Facebook group) of not being a proper fan because he hasn't been around since the beginning (due to not being born yet). He's Dave's son you fucking lunatic!!

Yep, that's the dude. Nothing surprises me about him (re: restraining order). He used to walk around the carpark at Kinks and solo concerts with his Kinks novelty car registration plate slung around his neck. Supposedly once Ray and his roadies got Frank to stand in a parking bay for hours 'saving' it for the band's bus (a modern day take on 'this way to the egress.')

Ridiculous about Christian -- who is quite nice to reasonable fans!

boki

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 16, 2021, 06:56:46 PMYes, fucking hell! Where do people even get those from, I've never seen one on sale anywhere.
Market stalls.  Sometimes it's the same guy that sells the wolf shirts, sometimes it's someone else depending on your local traders.

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 16, 2021, 06:56:46 PMYes, fucking hell! Where do people even get those from, I've never seen one on sale anywhere. There's a white Rasta (sigh) in my manor who wears one of those with his knitted dreads cosy. I must get around to killing him one day.

I'd let him away with the dreads but multicoloured teapot cosy on a white person = NO NO NO NO NO NO.

kngen

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 16, 2021, 06:56:46 PMYes, fucking hell! Where do people even get those from, I've never seen one on sale anywhere. There's a white Rasta (sigh) in my manor who wears one of those with his knitted dreads cosy. I must get around to killing him one day.

We had one of those when I lived in Hornsey, who used to busk at the train station under the name 'Ras Steve', which would always make me laugh. Then a couple of months later I saw Lonely Island's 'Ras Trent' video

and wished I'd had the chance to bellow 'Excuse I' while pushing past him while pointedly not giving him any money, the daft sod.

JesusAndYourBush

Do Metallica have a hardcore fan following?  No idea but I just wanted to post this.
I reckon you'd have to be a hardcore fan to want to own the Lars Ulrich toilet...

"Crapster"

From: https://twitter.com/caitlinmoran/status/1463537565454192649