Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So... Rod Stewart

Started by kalowski, November 12, 2021, 10:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

For years he lived in Essex, just outside the M25; his gaffe was clearly identifiable on Google Earth because as well as the usual tennis court and swimming pool there was a full-sized EPL-quality football pitch in the grounds.

Prong rating: 7

SpiderChrist

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 16, 2021, 11:42:25 AM
For years he lived in Essex, just outside the M25; his gaffe was clearly identifiable on Google Earth because as well as the usual tennis court and swimming pool there was a full-sized EPL-quality football pitch in the grounds.

Prong rating: 7

Indeed so - in fact, when Gordon Strachan (a friend of Rod's, apparently) was manager at Southampton they used to train there.

gilbertharding

I think they trained there once or twice - before an evening game at West Ham, IIRC.

Southampton do have their own training ground.

SpiderChrist

pigamus

Quote from: Glebe on November 16, 2021, 10:17:00 AM
Surprised nobody's mentioned Rod's astonishingly awful Graham Norton performance, although be warned, you'll probably want to wipe it from your memory. Move aside Paul Shane! So embarrassing I don't think I could actually watch it again.

Eh? You're overselling that a bit. It's a naff song but I've seen far worse.

poodlefaker

it's a wedding reception DJ's dream

Head Gardener

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 15, 2021, 01:16:47 PM
I like Rod Stewart's voice, I think.

As an artist, he's always suffered from... I don't know what it's called, but it was perfectly illustrated for me when I was in HMV once, and they were playing random music like always... and I heard The Motown Song, with its chorus "Bring over some of your old Motown records... We'll put the speakers in the window and we'll go on the roof and listen to the Miracles echo to the alley down below... "

By some lucky fluke (or something else, I don't know) the very next tune was When Smokey Sings by ABC, which is essentially a song about the exact same thing - even down to the artist the singer is listening to... except it's not been written by someone who really should have been a blacksmith rather than a lyricist

I know Rod doesn't write (most of) his stuff, but he has a knack for picking stuff that sounds like a first draft hack.

Happy to go on record to say 'Motown big up tracks' are awful with the exception of Levi Stubbs' Tears, cheers.

SteveDave

Quote"Sex is cool and sex is nice/ Sex will lead you to paradise / I love it."

This is like a song written by someone who's never had sex.

pigamus

His biggest problem I think is that his taste started to desert him in the late 70s. He became prematurely middle-aged and smug and annoying, and the awful mid-80s production that followed didn't help. His version of Some Guys Have All The Luck is clearly the worst, for example.

gilbertharding

Glebe

Quote from: pigamus on November 16, 2021, 01:33:51 PMEh? You're overselling that a bit. It's a naff song but I've seen far worse.

Cringe city nonetheless.

timebug

I have the same opinion of the bloke as a lot of posters. In the Faces, he was great. His first four solo albums, good stuff. Once he went to America and became full time transatlantic tart, I lost interest.

non capisco

Quote from: SteveDave on November 17, 2021, 08:35:47 AM
This is like a song written by someone who's never had sex.

Love the redundant "I love it." Could only be improved if it went

Quote"Sex is cool and sex is nice/ Sex will lead you to paradise / I love it/I've done it LOADS of times/You don't know her, I met her on holiday."

SteveDave

Quote"We did it all the ways/normal, from behind and standing up/wooh sex! Sexy sex! I've done it!"

Butchers Blind

The bit in the bridge where he sings "Oooo, tits and that" is a high point.

non capisco

I like the bit in the performance Glebe linked to where he sings "You taught me how to nasty" and to illustrate this he pats his arse. Looks more like "You taught me how to go to Asda" than anything more carnal, tbh.

gilbertharding

Quote from: SteveDave on November 17, 2021, 10:40:05 AM

We are sail-ing, on a shi-ip, held aflo-at, by the water it displaces...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He was on the One Show last night plugging his single, and the video was him and three young blonde women wandering around London, and I wondered whether he realised that he'd become a parody of himself decades ago, and whether he cares.
He does look like he still has a lot of sex though, presumably with the three young blonde women, so good for him.

poodlefaker

Quote from: timebug on November 17, 2021, 10:02:28 AM
I have the same opinion of the bloke as a lot of posters. In the Faces, he was great. His first four solo albums, good stuff. Once he went to America and became full time transatlantic tart, I lost interest.
Yeah, but he did it so unashamedly, it's almost worthy of respect. The cover of Atlantic Crossing couldn't be more blatant if it showed him flicking the Vs to a cartoon John Peel.

phatfill

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

kalowski

Rod's on BBC 4 right now, dressed as Aladdin with a subpar backing band. It's 1976 so he's gone beyond his peak but there's the odd glimmer.

Ferris

Quote from: TheMonk on December 18, 2021, 09:11:49 PMFirst hit for ages
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59707192

Imagine if a 76 year old started a bit of aggro. You couldn't just deck the cunt because he'd die, so you'd just keep taking his dust-shattering blows until he fell over and started crying.

All very unseemly.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd love to fight Rod Stewart. I bet he thinks he's rock.

itsfredtitmus

surely Young Turks and Baby Jane get a look-in here? Young Turks is genuinely quite life-affirming (and not just because it came after such dross.) it's a Rocky song that got away

itsfredtitmus

it's all about that bit at the end of his cover of Twisting the Night Away!

TheMonk

Quote from: non capisco on November 17, 2021, 03:12:20 PMI like the bit in the performance Glebe linked to where he sings "You taught me how to nasty" and to illustrate this he pats his arse. Looks more like "You taught me how to go to Asda" than anything more carnal, tbh.
It's actually strange how he does that these days. Sort of points out his arse at a strange angle then slaps it twice. Most unsavoury. Even Jagger wouldn't pull that move.

Head Gardener

my wife has persuaded me to write to Rod (via his Twitter feed) and ask if he's interested in buying my Old Firm 78 that I found recently. it seems the sort of thing he might throw silly money at = Celtic related and it's a record, so fingers x he bites

jenna appleseed

Quote from: non capisco on November 17, 2021, 03:12:20 PMI like the bit in the performance Glebe linked to where he sings "You taught me how to nasty" and to illustrate this he pats his arse. Looks more like "You taught me how to go to Asda" than anything more carnal, tbh.

Is that in a Kate Bush "hitting the vaseline" way?