Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

least funny python to make shit documentary not worth watching

Started by madhair60, August 23, 2021, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 16, 2021, 06:52:01 PM
Yeah, I'd rather read discussion than endless bickering and such quite honestly; I found the recent treatment of another CC poster - over his past views - really quite unpleasant.

Most people don't even use the ignore function anyway, just as I always stated. Rather they just refer to it a lot instead.
My problem with AT is the self-indulgent gish-gallops plopped into the middle of discussions. Any attempt to engage just produces more of the same, with a side-order of goalpost moving. There's plenty back-and-forth on CaB and I'm regularly jolted out of complacent opinions. AT's dungheaps are disruptive to that flow of discussion, not conducive to it. If the cunt could just learn some brevity, I think I'd barely notice him.

That said, I haven't got him or anyone else on ignore, except in the IRL sense. His delusions of being some sort of forum gadfly, as articulated upthread, were easily the funniest thing he's ever contributed. Glad I didn't miss it.

chveik

AT is a fash apologist but he's still tolerated because it takes the form of a polite enough debate guy

Kankurette

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 16, 2021, 06:40:46 PM
It's not about disagreeing with people more not wanting to waste time reading the posts of semi trolls, people who annoy you and fuckwits. I'm more than happy to read posts I disagree with as long as I have some semblance of respect for the person making those arguments. And some people I have on the list because their posts can be annoying when I'm not in a good mood so I  can make a decision whether to read them or not. This doesn't make the annoying people bad posters so much as sometimes irritating. I'm sure I can be an irritating poster sometimes, I know some people on here really hate the product recall posts. Although I have to say it is easy to avoid clicking on those threads if you dont like them.
Same. I don't have a lot of time or energy and I have spent years of my life arguing with people on the internet. And I'm tired of it. I've ended up getting ill and self-harming over internet posts and I've been told by countless therapists to stop getting involved in internet arguments because it is clearly bad for me. I've lost friends because of internet arguments. It's not worth it. I'm not going to win any prizes for debating with strangers. Especially ones who've made it clear what their agenda is. And I resent the idea that I must have the mental age of five just because I don't want to spend time arguing with people online when there are other things I could be doing.

I've read plenty of posts I disagree with but there are certain posters I've blocked either because they clearly hate me, or because their posts just make me angry and/or they're blatant trolls.

As you were.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm tired too. Just so very, very tired of reading ignorant bile on the internet. CaB is an oasis for me, a funny, safe and sane place for the most part. I choose to actively ignore certain posters because they exacerbate my anxiety and depression, I'm better off without them in my life.

I love this forum to bits, it's an absolute godsend, but I think it's fair enough to block/ignore posters who make you feel unhappy. It's not a performative thing, we all need to do whatever's healthy for us.

Anyway. John Cleese. I worry sometimes that he'll wheeze himself to death.

Gurke and Hare

As well as the points already well made by people about it not being people you disagree with, but people who don't argue in good faith and use bullshit analogies, I'd add that putting them on ignore means I don't get tempted to respond and get bogged down in arguments that aren't going to get anywhere bevause the goalposts are on rollerskates.

The Bumlord

Brundle-Fly

It would also be great for somebody to provide some sort of glossary/ translator thread for anyone over forty years old?

I find some of the discussion/ language/ reference points utterly impenetrable.

Barry Admin

Sounds like a good idea for a GD thread. I don't get some of the Simpsons memes so may join in myself.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 17, 2021, 12:22:00 AM
Sounds like a good idea for a GD thread. I don't get some of the Simpsons memes so may join in myself.

General Dullshit?

The Guppy

I'm a new member in my forties and I often find this place impenetrable because you're all in your fifties and have been iterating on the same dozen memes since this place was created.

I also thought you all hated each other but I blocked that dude and everything's way nicer.

Brundle-Fly

There should be a sarcasm filter too? Although, to implement this might involve ED- 409?

Glebe

Quote from: The Guppy on November 17, 2021, 12:31:26 AMI'm a new member in my forties and I often find this place impenetrable because you're all in your fifties

I'm in me forties too! 46 next month though so not long until I'm one of these over-the-hill people you mention! ;)

madhair60

Jake Thingray

Would any Americans on CaB care to say whether all this has affected Cleese's standing over there, if it's registered? Got the feeling, please excuse the generalisation, that they've tended to be more forgiving of his 1990's-onwards disappointing career trajectory. (Still waiting for the promised stage musical of A Fish Called Wanda.)

Kankurette

Dr Rock

ramsobot

Quote from: Jake Thingray on November 22, 2021, 12:47:36 PMWould any Americans on CaB care to say whether all this has affected Cleese's standing over there, if it's registered? Got the feeling, please excuse the generalisation, that they've tended to be more forgiving of his 1990's-onwards disappointing career trajectory. (Still waiting for the promised stage musical of A Fish Called Wanda.)

I don't believe it's really registered at this point. The first and only time I've heard modern Cleese mentioned in the last year or so was with some reverence in relation to him appearing in the Clifford the Big Red Dog movie that just came out.

Spiny Norman

Noticed a funny thing today. Cleese used to have this line of corporate training videos called Video Arts, which he wrote together with one of the Yes Minister writers (and starring basically anyone famous in British comedy).

Over the years, they sometimes remade their own titles, not to change the basic message, but to update the looks. This kept settings like "an office" or "a meeting" from looking outdated.

The "Unorganised Manager" from 1983 had women around just to get the coffee and tea, with men commenting on their looks. No longer so in the 1996 remake. So... Cleese cancelled the workplace bro' culture?

He had less problems with it then. Diversity was also increased.

But this was simply to mirror reality.... So CLEARLY something completely different...(!)

phantom_power

They are like a lot of these sorts of people. They were progressive up to the point that progress passed them by and now they just want everything to go back to when they understood the world

thr0b

Old and out-of-touch comedian complains that he was implied to be old and out-of-touch in interview about his tour about being old and out-of-touch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59681167

up_the_hampipe

Terry Gilliam is also complaining that his show at The Old Vic has been cancelled because he recommended Dave Chappelle's Netflix special on Facebook. Doubt it.

Moany Python.

jobotic

Cancel culture for Cleese seems to consist entirely of him cancelling himself.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: thr0b on December 16, 2021, 01:56:16 PMOld and out-of-touch comedian complains that he was implied to be old and out-of-touch in interview about his tour about being old and out-of-touch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59681167
What Cleese did was he agreed to an interview with BBC World News TV and expected it to be a five minute sofa chat where everyone goes "Awww, a Python" and lets him sell his latest alimony-generating nonsense. Instead he found himself talking to a journalist. You'd think a man who attended one of the world's top universities would be able to do basic research.

Brundle-Fly

JC appeared to have a crotchety demeanour from the word go because he was probably anticipating questions about being 'old and out of touch'. Surely, he can't still be paying off his alimony bill? Why doesn't he just enjoy the rest of his days in the Californian sun than worrying about a world that he clearly believes has become insufferable now?

Captain Z

Quote"I replied courteously and in full I explained that if parents were over protective, it did not prepare children well when they entered the real and often not-very-nice world"

Man who wants to prepare snowflake kids for the not-very-nice world gets upset at not-very-nice world.

imitationleather

He should have withdrawn his labour from the interview.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 16, 2021, 02:45:19 PMYou'd think a man who attended one of the world's top universities would be able to do basic research.

What sort of 'research' would have helped him here, except a study into how shit BBC interviewers are these days? He was quite happy to answer her question about "why does cancel culture interest you", explaining that young people shouldn't seek to be be overprotected against hearing words and ideas that they don't like, because when they grow up they might find that having their hysterical over-sensitivities pandered to by academia has resulted in them becoming insufferably entitled, maladjusted depressive narcissists who can't hack the real world. He put it more diplomatically and tactfully than that, but it's a valid response, and doesn't suggest that he's only there to plug his tour and be fawned over.

This journalist's follow-up question, ignoring everything he just said and going straight to the hornet's nest with a shitty stick: "There are people out there who having heard your views would consider them to be old-fashioned and not taking into consideration the feelings of people who have been hurt by some of these comments. I want to give you the example for instance in Britain where racist behaviour for instance was couched as a bit of banter. Is that acceptable in your view as a joke?" Feeble, vague, patronising, sanctimonious, scattergun BBC culture war posturing, a moronically phrased question (what sort of 'example' is that?) suggesting an inability to see this issue in a rational way. Good on him for calling it out and cutting it short.

phantom_power

But I thought you thought people "shouldn't seek to be be overprotected against hearing words and ideas that they don't like"?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: phantom_power on December 16, 2021, 04:37:37 PMBut I thought you thought people "shouldn't seek to be be overprotected against hearing words and ideas that they don't like"?

Certainly, and deep down I think y'all know that to pretend that's what has happened here is a disingenuous stretch. This isn't a question of protecting John Cleese's feelings because he's been taught to react to certain taboos with visceral outrage, this is an interviewer wilfully alienating her interviewee with witless questions and irrelevant assertions. She's free to do that of course, but the only 'protection' needed here is to the BBC's reputation.

Ferris

Absolutely, Cleese should be able to go about saying whatever he likes with zero pushback (while plugging his tour for free on the beeb). The fact that he can't just shows how far the loony left PC brigade has gone.

See also: clarkson's inalienable right to punch people.