Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dexter S9

Started by bgmnts, May 24, 2021, 01:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfWvbUAHng&ab_channel=JoBloStreaming%26TVTrailers

Little teaser trailer for you there. God knows why this got greenlit as the last 3 seasons were utter shit, with the wettest fart of an ending.

Coming this autumn.

I thought this was a tad confusing:

Quote"We basically do get to start from scratch," he said. "We want this to not be Dexter season nine. Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage.

"In so far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It's a great opportunity to write a second finale for our show, and Showtime was very gracious about that."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a34435465/dexter-revival-release-date/

Old Thrashbarg

The initial excitement for the announcement of this can be relived here.

bgmnts

Ha! I even posted in that. Sorry about that.

amateur

Hope he kills some people that deserve it, I liked that about the first eight series.

DrGreggles

SpiderChrist

I watched to the end of Season 6 (I think - was that the one with Colin Hanks in?) and started with Season 7 but fuck me that was utter dog eggs rubbish so stopped about halfway through.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2021, 02:14:06 PM
Ha! I even posted in that. Sorry about that.

Nah, it's beyond the time it should've been revived anyway. Better to start a new thread. I was just linking for context.

phes

The last season was such a catastrophe that it was much better viewing than the couple of seasons prior to it

olliebean

Quote from: amateur on May 24, 2021, 02:25:13 PM
Hope he kills some people that deserve it, I liked that about the first eight series.

Too big a job for one man these days.

Old Thrashbarg

A trailer - https://youtu.be/hA-oCTUrNfE

And a release date for the first episode of 7th November.

It feels like everything in the trailer could be from the first 10 minutes of the first episode, which wouldn't be a bad thing if they're trying to erase and move past the original ending as quickly as possible.

evilcommiedictator

Cameos from John Lithgow and Debra, so there's going to be a lot of flashbacks to pad it out

thugler

I think they got 3-4 good series out of it, the rest were absolute tripe, and made me start to look on the ones I liked as being a bit crap too.

This will be absolutely ok, but I just don't see what they can do with the character that is at all interesting. They basically left it as a clean slate, and a lot of the characters anyone liked are dead.

That fucking Quinn guy who appeared from nowhere, with no explanation and Masuka with his dumb B/C plots, I really hope they aren't in it. The final season was maybe the worst example of a botched finale I can think of.

Dex Sawash

Maybe he'll meet up with Jesse Pink man up in alaska

mothman

We watched the first two seasons when they were on ITV, but after that they moved to Sky so that was that. I did borrow the s3 box set off somebody at work (shit, about a decade ago - better return it) but before we could get round to watching it, I got spoiled about what happens in s4 and lost all interest in continuing with the show. Nothing I've read about how the show progressed or eventually ended has made me want to pick it up.

So whether I might try this revival... I mean, I'm open to the idea. I liked the character and the concept. It was just the impressions I got from others of how poorly it started to be executed, and also it sounded like it was getting either repetitive and/or filled with filler subplots..?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on August 13, 2021, 01:38:17 PM
We watched the first two seasons when they were on ITV, but after that they moved to Sky so that was that. I did borrow the s3 box set off somebody at work (shit, about a decade ago - better return it) but before we could get round to watching it, I got spoiled about what happens in s4 and lost all interest in continuing with the show. Nothing I've read about how the show progressed or eventually ended has made me want to pick it up.

So whether I might try this revival... I mean, I'm open to the idea. I liked the character and the concept. It was just the impressions I got from others of how poorly it started to be executed, and also it sounded like it was getting either repetitive and/or filled with filler subplots..?

By the end it was almost indescribably awful, the voice over so patronising it beggars belief, and the plotting beyond ridiculous, yet I'm glad I stuck with it, as the CaB thread (and the AV Club comments section) was extremely fun to read each week.

I doubt I'll bother with the next season unless reviews are either extremely positive or extremely awful, if it's just average I've no interest in watching it.

Oh, and all you need to know is that this was the best thing that happened in the final season:

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 24, 2021, 02:45:47 PM

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on August 13, 2021, 01:38:17 PM
also it sounded like it was getting either repetitive and/or filled with filler subplots..?

Well it was packed with filler from the off. I remember watching season one in mild disbelief that they expected anyone to give a flying fuck about Angel being menaced by loans sharks or Masuka's dating habits or whatever shite was being shovelled onto the screen to reach that 45-minute mark.

Season two was about the only time they actually had anything interesting to do, but obviously Dexter being under suspicion wasn't tenable for a show like that.

I do wish they'd had the balls to really mix it up though. Dexter on the run, Dexter does prison break, Dexter takes on a new identity outside Florida... instead we got Angel and whatsisface getting high for an episode because these actors have to do something to earn their money. I jumped off at the season that was Saw meets Fight Club meets Seven, and I'm bloody glad I did.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Mister Six on August 13, 2021, 07:24:46 PM
Dexter takes on a new identity outside Florida.

I think that's what we might be getting this time. Whether it'll be good is up-in-the-air, I'm not confident it will be.

The show became bad around season six and truly awful during season 8. As you said they never had the courage to change the core dynamic of the series, and the plotting was all over the place, as was any sense of believability -- forget 'jumping the shark' or 'eating the dog', 'Double syringing the paramedics' is the true sign of a shows decline...

mothman

kngen

Looking back through the plot synopses on wikipedia, it seems I only really liked the first season and the one with John Lithgow (I found that English woman really annoying in season 2, and remember absolutely nothing about season 3, even after reading the synopsis.) I think I must have given up somewhere early on in season 5 (something to do with a Mexican cult, I think?), so missed all the excitement of how shite it became and the awful finale.

Think I can safely miss the new one, too, judging by the Rolling Stone review.

bobloblaw

Dexter's steep drop is best captured in this edition of Alan Sepinwall's excellent Too Long Didn't Watch podcast, in which guests watch the first episode of a show they've not seen before and try to guess how it might end, before watching the finale

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/too-long-didnt-watch-recap-season-one-finale-paul-scheer-dexter-1134690/

Marv Orange

Dex Sawash

Did Dexter
Spoiler alert
survive the storm
[close]
?

chveik

got ptsd after the events of jan 6th

olliebean

Warning: contains line dancing.

Chedney Honks

Mad thing about Dexter is he shagged his sister in real life and she went on to play his wife in this.

Old Thrashbarg

Anyone watching? It's been... fine. Not terrible, but nothing much is happening. I wanted either good (however unlikely) or horrific!

EOLAN

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on November 17, 2021, 10:10:07 AM
Anyone watching? It's been... fine. Not terrible, but nothing much is happening. I wanted either good (however unlikely) or horrific!

Yes. It is fine. My first proper watching of a Dexter season. Think I just prefer the snowy rural environment than the sunny bright Florida setting that has drawn me in.

Hugo Rune

It's like a boring Resident Alien.

olliebean

I guess it'll pick up when his kid inevitably starts killing people.

Dex Sawash

I sat down to watch it and discovered HBOMAX=HBO + Cinemax, not HBO + SHOWTIME
Probably for the best