Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery s4, starts 18/19 November

Started by mothman, October 09, 2021, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

It's on Netflix the day after the US, as before.

mothman

Well... I'm prepared to expect this to turn out to be a storm in a teacup, but a) I just looked on Netflix and you'd expect there to be some sort of "new season starting Friday" thing - and there isn't, not that I can see; b) we'll more than likely have this convo again 12-15 months down the line when s5 is imminent (and P+ is well-established (ish) here) because if it doesn't happen this time it will next!

Johnny Foreigner

I shall watch this sometime next year, probably. I have forgotten most of what happened in the previous seasons, so it might jog my memory.
I note that in the distant future, Klingons have apparently started to speak very slowly.

Oh, and there was that parallel universe thing and using mushrooms as an energy source, or something, something. It's quite relaxing viewing, actually.

olliebean

Quote from: mothman on November 16, 2021, 08:40:57 PM
Confirmation?

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1460705800549191684

The implication there is that it will in its entirety vanish from Netflix after today. (i.e., season 1-3 will be gone, as well as no season 4.) But there's no "Last day to watch" message on Netflix, as there usually is against things that are due to leave within the next month or so. You'd hope that as Netflix has presumably paid for it for a while longer, they'd leave it there until Paramount+ is available, at least. (Not because I particularly want to rewatch it, but just as a general point of principle.)

Mr Trumpet

Fuck's sake, I actually was looking forward to this. A long delay is bad enough but to announce it just a couple of days beforehand? Absolute shithousery from the execs here.

How does one pirate a TV show? It's not something i've ever felt the need to do before.

Bad Ambassador

Confirmation from the official Trek twitter: https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1460714353682833411

With the expected response in the replies.

Famous Mortimer

What a strange decision. How many Trek fans will wait til 2022 and not just pirate it?

Incredibly dumb, especially to reveal it three days before it airs. I've not seen one word of even slight praise for the decision which in internet world is barely believable. Will take balls of steel to keep it back until their streaming channel starts and I doubt they will hold their nerve: will likely be shown somewhere before too long. Or everyone will torrent it.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 16, 2021, 10:27:05 PM
What a strange decision. How many Trek fans will wait til 2022 and not just pirate it?

I am not in a hurry, as I am currently finishing Downton Abbey and there is lots of Inside Number 9 I have yet to watch as well. I may just buy the DVDs of this thing when they come out... I do other things apart from watching television series.

Wonderful Butternut

Wasn't sure whether I'd watch this, and that's gone ahead and decided it for me. Thanks.

S2 of Picard might go the same way. And then so will Strange New Worlds.

mothman

Eventually it'll all go to P+. And we'll all go to PB.

Internet response has been universally hostile. I imagine Paramount's web team are not having a very good day! Paid a pittance and getting personal abuse, so they have my sympathy, but then they took the job. Read an interesting Twitter thread earlier about how they try to get people to do this work - the they in that particular case being Netflix, ironically given they are also getting slated for letting this happen. Lots of "no point in keeping my subscription now" and "was going to re-start it but won't now" opinions.

Chairman Yang

I'm very confused. Was CBS All Access never available in Europe and now they're replacing that absence with more, different nothing and asking people to 'hang on'?

mothman

Essentially, yes. CBSAA was rebranded to P+ this year, and available only in the US (and Canada?). Now they're planning to roll it out worldwide, but gradually. And the suits have decided the best way to get buy-in in other countries is to retire Trek from other platforms immediately, even though new content is imminent, and that we will all gladly wait until sometime next year then eagerly pay for yet another subscription. They are being publicly schooled in how this is not the case.

If that sound daft then bear in mind these are US TV execs who are institutionally and solely interested in the domestic market, Nielsen ratings, audience shares etc., and have no interest in foreign sales as anything but a nice and irrelevant bonus...

Mr Trumpet

Apparently the official convention they laid on in Brum recently was an absolute shocker as well, just a desultory low-effort affair compared with events in the US. There's a major Trekkie fanbase in Europe, particularly in the UK and Germany, and there's a lot of anger from fans who've been supportive of the show in the face of plenty of online negativity. Because now of course people are either locked out of fan communities online for fear of spoilers, or they have to pirate it. Paint me green and call me an Orion bastard cos I know which one i'm doing.

Cloud

I'll give a tl;dr of what I've said elsewhere: these kinds of shenanigans do not help them.  No doubt moving streaming services for profit maximisation but meanwhile I'd already had enough of this kind of bullshit, closed down my streaming services and returned to the "yarrrr" ways.  It's so much easier.  If you want people to pay for something, make it easy - and as far as I'm concerned, make it possible to keep it.  Drop an official DRM-free mp4, and I'll pay for it.  Anything else and I'm on "strike".

mothman

Some of the cast are quite mortified by all this, as well, all the more so given they've been happily participating in international promotional events in support of the new season in blissful ignorance of what was about to happen.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm oot. I never hated it like some people did, but that's because I was never that fussed about it either way. It was just a lazy option for something to watch, not something I'd go out of my way for.

Pranet

Got to wonder how many streaming services the market can support.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: Pranet on November 17, 2021, 04:58:52 PM
Got to wonder how many streaming services the market can support.

Puzzling that a lot of them are resisting putting their series on bluray...you either get some seasons on disc or not at all..ie none of the Marvel Disney shows are on bluray and incomplete series for the Marvel Netflix...theres obviously a revenue stream there and would minimise piracy

Pranet

Presumably want to drive people to the streaming services. Also once you've bought a series you've bought it, you can watch it as many times as you like without paying them another penny, so they probably don't want that either.

Blofelds Cat

Oh I get that...but as the market becomes more fragmented people will turn to piracy...better to still make money from the discs with extras than get nothing from ripped content

olliebean

Seasons 1-3 gone now from Netflix. By far the most common response I've seen is people saying they watched it because they had Netflix anyway, but they're sure as hell not going to pay for another streaming service just to keep watching it.

Alberon

I don't think Netflix will survive in the long run against the like of Disney, but there is going to be a lot of streaming services competing. People simply won't subscribe to more than a couple at a time at most.

But until it all settles out it isn't going to be a good time for viewers.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on November 17, 2021, 08:25:23 PM
I don't think Netflix will survive in the long run against the like of Disney, but there is going to be a lot of streaming services competing. People simply won't subscribe to more than a couple at a time at most.

But until it all settles out it isn't going to be a good time for viewers.

I'm sure I saw something recently that showed that Netflix had pulled clear of Disney+ after their strong start.

I'm watching Star Trek The Next MacFarlane on Disney+ right now and it is a good service with a high quality of content by and large with a decent regular drip feed of new content.

I think Netflix manage to beat Disney+ and other streaming services by hitting the occasional cultural zeitgeist. Squid Game and Birdbox strike a chord with a general audience and get people who subscribe for one show but then lazily stay subscribed all year. Discovery wasn't a zeitgeist, it was just a thing that people watched because it was there. Star Trek fans would already have been subscribed for the back catalogue.

13 schoolyards

From the little I know, the entirety of corporate America is driven by Wall Street, and currently Wall Street is driven entirely by the idea of market share.

Every streaming service (and film studio, and TV network) is being judged by the money men on how aggressively they're going after market share. Anything they might possibly do to run counter to that - even if it would result in a higher profit - has a negative affect on their share price, which is pretty much all the executives in charge care about.

Looked at solely in those terms and no other, this move makes sense, especially as it's being made by US TV execs who barely recognise that overseas markets exist.

Malcy

Poor start I thought. Burnham still incredibly annoying but at least
Spoiler alert
the Federation President was a shit to her.
[close]

Best bit was
Spoiler alert
the reveal of Archer Station with the Enterprise theme playing over it. Cliffhanger was alright too
[close]
but that was all really. Dialogue still really bad.

Good to see the crew still grinning like simpletons at their own goodness.

Mr Trumpet

Very weak opening scene, but it picked up a bit going on. Oded Fehr is great. Like the friction between Burnham and the President.

The President
Spoiler alert
was a dope, and totally ridiculous. Querying the captain of the ship during a moment of crisis when speed is of the essence, and seemingly having the power to get a captain of a starship to step down whenever they want.
[close]