Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

This might have been mentioned on this thread but has anyone else noticed Gregg's OCATC presenting style is similar to Joe Dante's style on his Films That Made Me podcast?

EDIT: Five bags of popcorn and a new page twat.

QDRPHNC

Didn't manage to catch up with last weeks because I had family visiting. Will double bill it with the new one tonight.

QDRPHNC

DJ Bob Hoskins

Yes! I'm especially looking forward to those last two. Anyone know what the general idea behind Popcorn Shuffle is? I don't recall it being discussed in any detail in OCATC. I assume - nay, hope - that The Mark Pork Show will just be wall-to-wall W.C. Fields impressions.

Just as an aside: I recently arranged a personal video message from Gregg (via the On Cinema merch store) as a present for my (Gregghead) friend's 50th birthday. They specifically ask you not to post the clips publicly (so I won't) but suffice to say it was everything you could hope for in a special video from Mr. Movies himself. 5 bags of popcorn and a slice of birthday cake.

BlodwynPig

Good to see the legend Porksch back on the big screen

QDRPHNC

Season 12 Episode 6

Fine episode, lovely to see Mark back. Biggest laugh was Gregg standing awkwardly behind the shelf reminding Mark how Tim beat him up.

Season 12 Episode 7

I'm only halfway through and normally Tim's stomach being infected and leaking pus into his new colostomy bag would be a highlight, but I just have to post about Gregg's new motion picture, Deck of Cards. In his own words:

QuoteDeck of Cards is a new motion picture that stars Joe Estevez as the King of Hearts, and I play one of the most beloved characters in the deck... the Joker! So this our chance to get a Joker movie going without any sort of issue with the Batman Joker, because this is actually the original Joker. The deck of cards predates Batman by literally centuries.

Oh my god...

I'm in tears.

Finished it now. This might be one of the best episodes ever. Even aside from Deck of Cards, Gregg's reviews of Top Gun and King Richard are both brilliant.

Purple Toupee

In bits at the Popcorn Shuffle pilot, good lord.

QDRPHNC

Just watched it, going to rewatch it immediately.

Spoiler alert
It's Gregg, in an empty strip mall parking lot, pulling VHS tapes out of garbage bag filled with popcorn.
[close]

BlodwynPig

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Purple Toupee on November 25, 2021, 06:34:56 PMIn bits at the Popcorn Shuffle pilot, good lord.

Same here. That was amazing.

I love how On Cinema constantly tries to trick the audience into thinking that each new series / plot strand / spinoff / Oscar Special is going to be different from what went before somehow, yet it always just ends up being exactly the same old shtick.

trabuch

Don't have the balls to start a new thread (sorry B). But I did enjoy Office Hours Josh Rogan piss take. It was so committed.  And Gregg ruffling about in a big bag of popcorn is glorious. He's got my vote.

Would genuinely watch a 9 hour Jackson style epic 3 part trilogy of "Deck of Cards"
I'm a certified deckhead already.

Retinend

Not On Cinema related, but this is a pitch-perfect little parody of the Joe Rogan Experience from Office Hours: https://twitter.com/OfficeHrsLive/status/1463949132289040385

Chollis

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 26, 2021, 09:59:28 AMWould genuinely watch a 9 hour Jackson style epic 3 part trilogy of "Deck of Cards"
I'm a certified deckhead already.

Oh yes. I love Joe Estevez so much. Gregg's looks to the camera, unable to contain his delight. Better film buff than an actor for sure. I've missed an adjacent series ala Decker running alongside the show. Will be interested if Tim tries to muscle his way into the project. The thought of Matt Newman or LaRoux wearing those stupid cards is making me laugh.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 25, 2021, 06:47:05 PM
Spoiler alert
It's Gregg, in an empty strip mall parking lot, pulling VHS tapes out of garbage bag filled with popcorn.
[close]

"for movie buffs this is sort of a dream come true"

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Chollis on November 26, 2021, 02:29:54 PMOh yes. I love Joe Estevez so much. Gregg's looks to the camera, unable to contain his delight. Better film buff than an actor for sure. I've missed an adjacent series ala Decker running alongside the show. Will be interested if Tim tries to muscle his way into the project. The thought of Matt Newman or LaRoux wearing those stupid cards is making me laugh.

My favourite moment by far was when Joe mentions cards, so Gregg quickly looks to the camera, fans out the cards for us to see them, then puts them away immediately.

Petey Pate

This thread is a decade old today.

Here's to ten years of On Cinema CaB chat.

Amazing to read what I thought about it back then too...

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 26, 2011, 09:23:28 PMIt's too good of a parody, in that it becomes the subject of its target. Its not all that funny because there's not much too it other than them managing to come across as being awkwardly uninformative.

QDRPHNC

10 years! That's amazing. Not even at 100 pages yet.

famethrowa

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 26, 2021, 03:49:40 PMThis thread is a decade old today.

10 years, good god! I remember listening to the very first podcast about Ghostbusters and being bemused but intrigued enough to carry on. I think I "got it" about episode 5 or so.

trabuch

I'm so glad I stuck with it. And I would really like to thank @Barry Admin for recommending it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: trabuch on November 26, 2021, 11:30:49 PMI'm so glad I stuck with it. And I would really like to thank @Barry Admin for recommending it.

Glad you're still enjoying it! Gonna have to try and catch up with it myself.

Captain Z

I've been really enjoying this series. Loved that seemingly the only thing Tim and Greg agreed on in the latest episode was that Adam Driver is famous for the Fast and the Furious movies.

MrMrs

Can someone send me a link to a torrent for the recent series?

Noodle Lizard

As a fully paid-up member of the HEI site, it's a bit frustrating to use. I wish they'd figured out a way to do all of this through a conventional service with half-decent integration, a better video player, or at least construct some kind of playlist to keep the chronology in order.

I'm enjoying it well enough, though. Tim is still boring (another weird medical treatment/infection, marital problems), but Gregg's bits are still great. It's astonishing how much mileage he's been able to get out of such an intentionally dull character. Can't wait for more Deck of Cards!

QDRPHNC

Spoiler alert
High drama here - Toni spilling some beans on the trial!
[close]

And Mark's Cavalcade of Characters is something special. Nice to see he got the budget for some decent effects.

QDRPHNC

Day 2 / Day 3 / Day 4 / Day 5 / Day 6

He's only reacting to Adult Swim's highlights, so he doesn't do the whole thing. It's interesting not only for the legal insight, but that he has no familiarity at all with On Cinema, so he's getting his head around it as he goes. His growing confusion as the courtroom discussion devolves into Star Trek is pretty entertaining.

Chollis

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2021, 02:13:00 AMMark's Cavalcade of Characters is something special. Nice to see he got the budget for some decent effects.

funniest thing from OC in a long time. "i'm a liddle boyyyy!!-ah..portrayed by a man, uh, Jerry Maren?"

Spoiler alert
Blockbuster episode this week. Toni going all-in. RIP the Electric Sun 20. Tim struggling with Proksch still gets a laugh. Highlight was the shots of Munchkin Mark staring into space and Gregg smirking at the camera as Toni laid it all out, but I can't work out how to post images within spoiler tags
[close]

Yeah, it was great!
Mark's pilot head and shoulders above the rest.
The impressions inevitably devolving into WC fields will never get old.

QDRPHNC

Spoiler alert
I got into some legal trouble in 1958 I cut down 15 pine trees in Sequoia National Park illegally and tried to sell them for Christmas trees and then I lost a dog that I was training and I had to find him and then I got angry at the owner who didn't reimburse me the money when I found the dog and he shot me. I died at 31.
[close]
Spoiler alert
Loved the continuity of Mark saying gremlins when he meant munchkins in both his pilot and the OC ep itself. Fantastic attention to detail in the writing, as ever.
[close]
Spoiler alert
Also just noticed that Mark's pilot is 4:3, presumably because he started with the wrong size canvas when he was editing at the library.
[close]

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on December 03, 2021, 01:56:28 PMThe impressions inevitably devolving into WC fields will never get old.

And WC Fields frequently devolving into Mark if his lines are too long.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 25, 2021, 07:22:24 PMLove Xposed, would watch a full series of that

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't watched Xposed or Rock House, but I will make an effort to get to those today, so I can cast my Heilot vote with integrity (I already voted for Mark).

Noodle Lizard

Mark's pilot was excellent, but I don't think I'd vote for it. After blowing through five great characters in just one episode, it's sort of difficult to see how long he can keep 'em coming for. Popcorn Shuffle, on the other hand, is limited only by the number of movies that exist and the format is timeless.