Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

This episode is essentially my pop childhood. Never liked Savile as a kid, because he was so detached and had the personality of a Lyons Maid Haunted House milk lollipop. Christ, he's dire in this.

Would editing out the presenter links on Savile episodes and just dealing with him as a whole at the start be a work around for being able to do episodes with him in, or would the podcast loose something if it only focused on the performances?

Bernice

Yeah, first jingle nonce episode I've watched in a bit and, while there are certainly grimmer examples, there's really no episode that could be immune from his stench.

That said, I come to Chart Music and old TOTP episodes as an exercise in pop archaeology, a rustle around the dustbin of history. I'm just about under 30, almost none of this has any personal resonance for me. As someone who only ever witnessed it's death rattle, I'm just fascinated by the age of truly national mass media confections, the notion that the psyche of a nation could be so clearly imprinted on a handful of cultural artefacts, most of them shite. A genealogical rummage around in the dustbin of history.

In which spirit, I'd love to hear a CM take on Savile, if only because, as has been articulated here, the question of how the fuck this thing became a national treasure feels important. I appreciate it would make for uncomfortable listening, and they might well get it wrong, and it's probably too big a burden to put on a bunch of 90s music journos. But, all the same, I'd love a one-and-done attempt at a Savile episode.

Taylor proposed doing the 1984 one where Savile is on a train and thus not in the studio/crime scene. Personally, I think they should do a Patreon only one with no clips just discussion. Go straight into it with no intro or jokes.

SteveDave

Quote from: Bernice on November 18, 2021, 10:33:12 PMIn which spirit, I'd love to hear a CM take on Savile, if only because, as has been articulated here, the question of how the fuck this thing became a national treasure feels important. I appreciate it would make for uncomfortable listening, and they might well get it wrong, and it's probably too big a burden to put on a bunch of 90s music journos. But, all the same, I'd love a one-and-done attempt at a Savile episode.

They did discuss him once didn't they? I think it was Neil and Simon and he was mixed in with a lot of pedlo talk when "Rock And Roll Part 2" was featured?

non capisco

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 19, 2021, 12:41:55 AMTaylor proposed doing the 1984 one where Savile is on a train and thus not in the studio/crime scene. Personally, I think they should do a Patreon only one with no clips just discussion. Go straight into it with no intro or jokes.

The problem with that is that he's on a train with a bunch of ill children. Unfortunately it's a horizontally moving crime scene.

I would love them to do that episode though, my memory is that it's a fascinating and bewildering thing. Binning off Bucks Fizz during a performance to cut to  pop and interesting footage of a train arriving at a station. Simon Bates creaming himself over some technical train chat with a BR employee. A general air of "What the fuck has happened to Top Of The Pops and what's with all this train shit?"

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: non capisco on November 19, 2021, 10:24:41 AMThe problem with that is that he's on a train with a bunch of ill children. Unfortunately it's a horizontally moving crime scene.

Savile saying him and the young kids have had a 'great time' on the journey down is a particularly jarring statement with sinister undertones.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Al has just sent out a message to the Patreon-crazed youngsters. The gist of it is this: Great Big Owl, who host the podcast, is winding down, but there's no need to worry - Al has already secured another platform for the show. Unfortunately, however, one of the gang is poorly with the 'vid, which for obvious reasons might delay things for a while.

Whoever it is, I hope they get better soon. That's far more important than putting out new episodes. Team Chart Music 4 Eva.

Sarah tweeted on Nov 12 that she caught the 'vid at a friend's 50th birthday party

billyandthecloneasaurus

Had a really fucking terrifying CM-related coincidence happen to me the other day.

Made a really fucking lame joke about 10,000 maniacs where I said "haha or as I LIKE TO CALL THEM, saturday 3pm at...", then tried to think of a lower league football stadium that would attract roughly that.  Went with ROOTS HALL cus it's namechecked in Rock and Roll is full of Bad Wools by HMHB, and my non-football fan mate i was making the joke to would get it.

5 minutes later I continued listening to the 2003 episode, and the VERY NEXT band were the coral, and then Simon Price proceeds to reference them not being Scousers but WOOLS.  And mentions ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS by HMHB.  I fucking shat myself.

easytarget

I'm still hoping there will be a Christmas episode this year, isn't it normally out by now?

DrGreggles

shiftwork2

They were hoping to do two in Dec but then the spiteful armoured one landed.  In the patreon update Al mentioned January for both as a very last resort.  So I suppose watch the skies today and/or Friday.  Having said that the Xmas tag team ep dropped on New Year's Eve last year.

non capisco

Another Christmas episode with last year's tag team format would make me so bloody happy.

easytarget

I'll take what I'm given, but a bit of Chart Music a couple of days before xmas is very soothing.

SteveDave

It feels like I was listening to last years Royal Rumble style episode only yesterday. But it was January. This years gone quick hasn't it? And what about this weather we've been having?

Das Reboot

Quote from: easytarget on December 21, 2021, 03:51:53 AMI'll take what I'm given, but a bit of Chart Music a couple of days before xmas is very soothing.

Indeed, around this summer I went back and re-listened to the CM archive* (must be at least the third or fourth time round for some of them) but I saved the Christmas and other December episodes for now. Currently easing into 2019's CM47: The Last Supper of Showaddywaddy - Taylor's just recounted his story about trying to get a mouse out of his flat. 

*Apart from some of the really early ones because of the dodgy sound quality, particularly any featuring Stubbs.

SteveDave

I've probably said this before but I tried Chart Music early on because of this place and I didn't get on with it. Probably because the one I listened to had Simon Price on it and for some reason, Al saying "Nonnar" really got on my tits. Then, I was having an operation to have a lump cut off my forehead, and needed something to listen to so I downloaded the Christmas episode from 2017. I remember laughing so much at Al's introduction to Little Jimmy Osmond ("Thiiiiis CUNT!") that a porter asked if I was OK. So the Christmas episodes now have a special place in my heart because I didn't die on the operating table as I thought I would, the day before my 40th birthday.

I'm relistening to 'Chart Music #41: August 26th 1976 – From Acker Bilk To Chlamydia In Two Minutes' (July 2019). Is David's book on comedy coming out soon?

Great line from Stubbs: 80s Glastonbury is 'Shakin' Altamont'.

bigfatheart

I recently relistened to last year's more normal Christmas episode (#55, Hygge Pop) and he mentioned that it was finished, but likely to be caught up in a backlog at Faber. Can't remember the exact details but I think he may have said 2022.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 21, 2021, 06:15:39 PMGreat line from Stubbs: 80s Glastonbury is 'Shakin' Altamont'.

Similarly, this line from a recent episode occasionally pops into my head: "Imagine if The Barron Knights played Altamont!"

There's nothing to it really, but it's just such a fantastically absurd scenario. And sometimes that's enough.

non capisco

New one just appeared on Patreon! You beauties!

boki

Spoiler alert
Neil & Taylor
1972 (not that one)
SEVEN HOURS ♥
[close]

Spoiler alert
We've discussed the likelihood of them doing this episode a few times. There are very few episodes from the year available so it represents everything you can discuss on that year, and they've never done that year before (so it's overdue)

7:17:45 yet I'll probably listen to it twice, so that's the weekend time chasm basically covered. I feel sympathy for pop-crazed youngsters who have family commitments so have to postpone it.
[close]

boki

I'll definitely listen to it at least twice. Now that I'm a high-flying cat, I listen to the whole lot, but then also go through the daily drop feed in my regular podcast app.

shiftwork2

Absolute blinder!

Quote from: boki on December 24, 2021, 11:12:35 AMbut then also go through the daily drop feed in my regular podcast app.

You should be able to get a Patreon RSS feed into podcast apps, mine is merrily downloading now.

Epic Bisto

Wow!  A cracking episode!  Not only are Team Chart Music on a roll with facts and one-liners bjut also it's a fucking mint edition of TOTP.

Spoiler alert
Jesus wept what a banger!  Going straight from Alice "shit Pantherman" Cooper to LIEUTENANT PIGEON!!!

Also: "Pappy Life" FFS.
[close]

shiftwork2

Over the last couple of months I've become very familiar with

Spoiler alert
Xmas 72
[close]

and its 100% hit rate of bangers / absolute nut job curios and the prospect of a proper analysis actually fills me with a degree of anticipation that I may not have felt about Chismas since I was a kid.  Thanks Al.

Epic Bisto

I think I've ruptured my kidneys or something because of the following TP quote:

Spoiler alert
This is the period where Chuck Berry looked most like my nan...I don't know if it was moustache, the duck walk or the video camera she set up in her toilet...
[close]