Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle - The Closer

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 04, 2021, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

It's so frustrating that people couldn't see through that bullshit story. I remember Daphne's tweets at the time, and there was no abuse, just Chappelle fans heralding her for having a sense of humour. I don't know what DMs she might have received, but I doubt Chappelle would know either.

He couldn't even see what was really going on in his own version of the story. When he's doing crowd work with her and he's peppering her with jokes about her identity, then he makes a flippant comment about not understanding her and she suddenly becomes very upset. How could an interaction like that not change everything for him? She admired him so much (he makes that very clear repeatedly) and she just wanted to be accepted in the comedy community, but deep down she knew what his real beliefs were and I'm sure that's what she felt about many people in her life, and it probably caused a lot of pain that was bubbling just beneath the surface.

Goldentony

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 18, 2021, 09:33:27 PMHow could an interaction like that not change everything for him?

he's rich, and of the generation thats had smoke shoved up their arses by industrial blowing machines about stand up being the new philosophy or something more important than it is. I'm guessing he's full of lies, fear and contradictions instead of any self awareness by this point. The humble weirdo guy sat on Letterman who turned down 50 million dollars for more of one of the most popular comedy shows of all time and decided to move to a quiet farm doesn't exist any more. Everything post CLOSER suggests his self introspection has taken a back seat.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 18, 2021, 09:33:27 PMI don't know what DMs she might have received, but I doubt Chappelle would know either.

A friend of hers said, in the replies of that piece's writer, that she had DMs switched off at the time.

(🎵 A tactic on which no-one on our side depends.)

Dr Rock

Due to this I have cancelled my Netflix.... for four weeks.

Goldentony

who the fuck pays for netflix what is/was wrong with you

Barry Admin

Quote from: Poison To The Mind on November 18, 2021, 08:45:35 PM"In his latest comedy special, Dave Chappelle said his trans friend was hounded into suicide by other trans people.
I couldn't find any evidence that it happened."

I'm glad someone went through the evidence like that. That's a good piece. I dunno what to say, I'm just disgusted at Chappelle. He used Dorman and then he used her suicide, all to deflect from criticism of his own material. He's a contemptuous piece of shit.

Retinend

Honestly, I never even questioned that the dragging had taken place. Thanks for posting that article. My estimation of Chappelle has fallen a lot. Lying that big, and using a dead person (/"friend") as a shield... it's almost like Tim Heidecker in "The Trial", playing his own lawyer.

Barry Admin

It's also that whole nauseating thing where he says he's putting money aside for Dorman's daughter; just the way he uses her again to try and rehabilitate his own image. He's such a cynical, shameless piece of shit, I despise what he has become.

Retinend

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 19, 2021, 08:54:20 AMI'm glad someone went through the evidence like that. That's a good piece. I dunno what to say, I'm just disgusted at Chappelle. He used Dorman and then he used her suicide, all to deflect from criticism of his own material. He's a contemptuous piece of shit.

by the way you meant "contemptible", although he is very contemptuous of trans activists.

Barry Admin

Yeah I know the right word, just messed up.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Goldentony on November 18, 2021, 10:27:37 PMhe's rich, and of the generation thats had smoke shoved up their arses by industrial blowing machines about stand up being the new philosophy or something more important than it is. I'm guessing he's full of lies, fear and contradictions instead of any self awareness by this point. The humble weirdo guy sat on Letterman who turned down 50 million dollars for more of one of the most popular comedy shows of all time and decided to move to a quiet farm doesn't exist any more. Everything post CLOSER suggests his self introspection has taken a back seat.

To be fair, a lot of that smoke came from us as well. I don't think it's unfeasible to imagine Chappelle holding these exact same views in his "golden age" either. We were just convinced he was somehow "better" than that, even though there never really been all that much evidence for it.

It's also pretty well-acknowledged that his famous Big Stand against Comedy Central was far less noble and principled than he made it sound. He was an absolute nightmare to work with, and the $50m figure is what he was asking (and meeting resistance) for, not necessarily what he "chose to walk away from" because ... because.

Dr Rock

Does he brag about 'walking away from fifty million' in every special? You were already rich enough to take a break in your career, you've easily made it back now, shut up about it.

somersetchris

Quote from: Goldentony on November 19, 2021, 08:51:53 AMwho the fuck pays for netflix what is/was wrong with you

Yes because if you consume someone else's art, why the hell should they get paid for it?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 20, 2021, 09:36:00 PMthe $50m figure is what he was asking (and meeting resistance) for, not necessarily what he "chose to walk away from"

This was posted before I posted mine, but yeah exactly.

Goldentony

Quote from: somersetchris on November 20, 2021, 09:39:02 PMYes because if you consume someone else's art, why the hell should they get paid for it?

exactly, been saying this for years

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 20, 2021, 09:36:00 PMIt's also pretty well-acknowledged that his famous Big Stand against Comedy Central was far less noble and principled than he made it sound. He was an absolute nightmare to work with, and the $50m figure is what he was asking (and meeting resistance) for, not necessarily what he "chose to walk away from" because ... because.

Was Chappelle asking for 50 million? I thought they offered it to him because the show had become so huge and Comedy Central wanted to keep him around. As for being difficult to work with, I've not really heard any stories about that aside from his falling out with Neal Brennan, which Brennan has acknowledged was down to people in their "circle" playing divide and conquer with their writing partnership.

You might have inside LA information though, so please gimme the goss.

Goldentony

Just to add aye I had no idea the 50m thing was his offer either! Seems reasonable since at the time you couldnt go to A&E or the moon without hearing about the show

dirkgonnadirk

I'm certainly also keen to hear a source on that claim. The $50m is reported as the contract for S3 + S4, and given they were midway through filming S3 that seems to make more sense than the alternative version above.

Noodle Lizard

To be fair, it's been a while since I heard the specifics (from two producers at Comedy Central at the time who worked directly with him) so I shouldn't have just blurted it out, but they made it sound as though a big part of him leaving was that he was asking for more than he was getting and basically holding himself ransom over a lot of demands they couldn't meet. Bear in mind, $50m to one individual for two seasons was insane for that time.

They also mentioned that Matt & Trey from South Park were absolutely ruthless in their negotiations, knowing full well Comedy Central needed them. They certainly had their hands full at that time.

up_the_hampipe

Embarrassing scenes as Dave Chappelle shows up at his old high school (who recently cancelled an event in his honour) to fight with the children: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584

Barry Admin

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 26, 2021, 02:27:20 PMEmbarrassing scenes as Dave Chappelle shows up at his old high school (who recently cancelled an event in his honour) to fight with the children: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584

God, he's a complete fucking prick now.

I'm sure all his fans will be going, "waaah, these snowflake kids can't take a fucking joke", when Chappelle comes across as being unbelievably thin-skinned and arrogant. He really has vanished up his own hole.

In fact, he's basically turned into a real life Maddox, boasting about how much better he is than a bunch of schoolkids to their face.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 05:36:46 PMI'm sure all his fans will be going, "waaah, these snowflake kids can't take a fucking joke"

Oh, you don't have to suppose - just follow the trail of jeers beneath the tweet. I swear, the Internet needs a good carpet-bombing or two.

Mister Six

Report from The Insider here, with comments by parents. It obviously takes a side and doesn't mention how "aggressive" some of the questions were, unlike the tweet above, but frankly if a millionaire celebrity can't take a bit of flak from 16-year-old kids, what the hell is he doing in a school?

tribalfusion

Dave Chappelle has always been a celebrity star-fucker and massive hack who loved to shit opportunistically on any group for a cheap joke (apart from straight blacks) with nothing resembling deeper analysis. To have made him EVER out to be anything more than that, was a big mistake.

He had a certain delivery perhaps and was granted a lot of leeway (due to his own identity) but now he's simply more aggressively dickish about the whole thing. His poorly recycled 'jokes' would have been unperceptive and disappointing decades ago and his garish love of self and claiming to be the best in the world reminds one of rappers rapping about being the best rapper etc.

I'm a little surprised that he was ever that well considered on a largely British forum. Even in the U.S., Chappelle was a long way from being anything special.

bgmnts

To my credit I never rated him that highly.

dead-ced-dead

I still love Killing Them Softly, but that was a looooooong time ago.

"with a camera crew in tow"

Big laugh.
On your bike, David.

Barry Admin

Quote from: tribalfusion on November 29, 2021, 11:52:03 PMI'm a little surprised that he was ever that well considered on a largely British forum. Even in the U.S., Chappelle was a long way from being anything special.

Chappelle's Show was well liked at the time, but I thought it was fairly average. Just didn't really do a lot for me.

Tried watching a bunch of episodes a month or two before all this current shit kicked off, and my opinion hadn't changed. Charlie Murphy and Paul Mooney are the best bits, the rest still just seems kind of meh and overrated to me.

Don't really get all the fuss about him or his standup; I guess he's like a sort of Trump-like figure for arrogant cunts who think they're better than everyone else.

QDRPHNC

Like SNL, I found Chappelle's Show would land on a fairly good idea and then just run it into the ground. I still remember watching the blind black KKK guy sketch and yeah - decent premise and all but it didn't fucking end. And given that that's the sketch that seems to be one of the most revered, I don't have any inclination to watch any more.

Famous Mortimer

I loved the first two seasons of Chappelle's Show. Not many sketch shows even in its league. I don't think there's any need to go full-on revisionist about his previous work, and the reason it was so popular on here and elsewhere is that it was really fucking good.