Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roxy Music

Started by Custard, November 17, 2021, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

What a band. I mean, really. Nearly every record released in their lifetime is an absolute banger. Such a high hit rate, and such depth and quality

Though my favourite album is probably the debut, with all the weirdness going on, the surreal lyrics, and the great Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno camping it up in the background

I think Bryan Ferry is one of the finest frontman of any generation, and love his slightly off kilter croony voice. It adds the human touch to the beautiful otherworldly noise wobbling away behind him

An obvious choice, but for me Virginia Plain is about as good as music gets, and has taken up permanent residence in my head

Same Old Thing is astonishing pop music. More Than This as affecting as any tune ever released, and can reduce me to tears within seconds. It's just bloody beautiful

Roxy Music were a good band, I reckon. Any fans?

sutin

If There Is Something is a perfect song. Growing potatoes by the sc-o-o-o-o-re.

Famous Mortimer

Fuck yes. "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" is an all-timer for me, as is "Do The Strand". But there's hardly a weak tune on any of their early albums. I probably wouldn't pop on any of their last couple of albums if I was in the mood to listen to them, but they were absolutely fantastic for a decent stretch of time.

Absolutely love them. Manifesto I find a bit tough, but all the rest of the albums do it for me. Flesh and Blood probably favourite.

I know their latter stuff better, and love it.  Same Old Scene, Angel Eyes, More Than This... all great pop songs.  I could listen to Alan Spenner's basslines alone on loop.  Just listen to Same Old Scene with the bass up.

Shit Good Nose

Love them up to and including Siren, after which it starts to go a bit ropey and Bryan-Ferry's-backing-band for me.  Favourite period is 73-76 with Eddie Jobson.  Viva is an absolute monster of a live album - Roxy go heavy prog.

Perhaps famously on here, the 2001 reunion show I went to at the NEC is in my top (/bottom) 5 most disappointing gigs of all time (along with Pink Floyd in Italy in 1994).

Goldentony

I dont know much about these beyond the hits, but by total chance I heard Over You on the radio a few years ago and was amazed they let themselves write somthing that until the end is basically I Fought The Law or whatever. Really, really good song. Nothig else to add, no further information on Roxy Music's relevance to me yet.

Poobum

Same Old Scene is one of my favourite songs of all time, the chorus gives me shivers. Love Bryan Ferry's style and manner, and not ironically either, guy's just cool.

The Culture Bunker

It's interesting (or not) that despite Ferry being the main creative force (songwriting wise) behind Roxy, I've never really gotten on with his solo stuff the way I can enjoy Roxy. I guess Andy Mackay and Phil Manzanera added enough of an edge to crumple Bry's tux to the right degree.

'Flesh and Blood' and 'Avalon' are probably the ones I've most likely to reach for these days - 'Over You' and 'Take a Chance With Me' in particular hit the spot very effectively.

Greg Torso

Love Roxy Music. My mum's favourite band and one of the few things we can agree on. Mother Of Pearl, Out Of The Blue, Virginia Plain, In Every Dream Home, The Thrill Of It All,,, hell More Than This gets me crying like a wolf on a lonely desert dune. First four albums, incredible, after that I'm not really arsed.

Ferry's solo stuff varies wildly, plus he becomes more and more of a knob lodge as time goes by. Bad tux "piarno" wank off.

But his cover of Sympathy For The Devil slays, girls.

Looked cool as errythang baby back in the day and I remember looking at the cover of Country Life when I was very young and being like oh that's an odd feeling i am having in my downstairs.

The Culture Bunker

I do remember a big kick off in my family at Christmas about 20 years back when my brother and dad were enthusing about Elvis Presley, and my mam chipped in with "when I was younger, I always preferred Bryan Ferry" and I sided with her.

More for the Roxy stuff, of course, and I'm not sure if she meant in terms of music or looks, but it was the principal of the matter. And besides, Bryan Ferry was pretty hot.

pupshaw

Great BBC show about Glam has a whole section about Roxy Music including interviews with Phil Manzanera, Bryan Ferry and Antony Price.
Shows how much FUN it all was, pretentious but tongue-in-cheek at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lBVo9MzJJQ&t=410s

Phil describes supporting Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour, and how they didn't see their stage costumes until the first night of their tours.

Bryan tells how they designed the first album sleeve. So much concentrated talent all in one place, but still completely winging it.

There were so many happy miracles that formed Roxy Music. The best thing that happened was that Eno left, although I was
gutted at the time, it would have made no sense for him to stay. Not often mentioned, but the other major miracle was that
Ferry recognised that a full on rock 'n roll drummer would push the band into yet another dimension.

Paul Thompson was the real final piece of the jigsaw and like Ringo, the first 5 or so albums just could not have been
made with any other drummer

That said none of the other members are in any way disposable, except for the bassist, which was a ongoing policy.

Anyway, Huge fan from the first time I heard Virginia Plain on a school field trip to Swanage in September 1972 (aged 14)

jobotic

Quote from: sutin on November 17, 2021, 02:13:11 PM
If There Is Something is a perfect song. Growing potatoes by the sc-o-o-o-o-re.

Fucking amazing innit? How it starts and what it turns into. Ferry inventing Jello Biafra. I love it and donlt think I'd heard it until it was mentioned here last time the band were discussed.

I have a cassette of Flesh and Blood that my uncle bought in Indonesia - the cover is a polaroid of the proper cover, stuck to an AGFA inlay. I'm going to have a look on Discogs.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jobotic on November 17, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
Ferry inventing Jello Biafra
Is the Melvins / Jello Biafra cover of "In Every Dream Home..." still well known / regarded? Anyway, have a blast of it here.

sutin

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2021, 10:43:04 PM
Is the Melvins / Jello Biafra cover of "In Every Dream Home..." still well known / regarded? Anyway, have a blast of it here.

That's fantastic.

And if I can go off-topic for just a moment, here's Jello (and The Fleshies) covering Sparks' Happy Hunting Ground.

https://youtu.be/w2SMok0PCJU

non capisco

Quote from: jobotic on November 17, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
Fucking amazing innit? How it starts and what it turns into. Ferry inventing Jello Biafra. I love it and donlt think I'd heard it until it was mentioned here last time the band were discussed.

I also maintain he basically invents David Byrne on 'Remake/Remodel', specifically the delivery of "I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death!"

Great to see 'Same Old Scene' getting so much love, my favourite Roxy tune. I ignored their later albums for years under the misapprehension they were going to be overly slick, boring and bleached of eccentricity but although I ultimately prefer the run from the debut to 'Siren' there's some amazing stuff on them. 'More Than This' aches like all get out.

samadriel

In my very first few days of listening to Roxy Music, I thought, "Hey, this is where Talking Heads came from".

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2021, 10:43:04 PM

I'm fond of Moose's cover: https://youtu.be/-fPqyldwcGw

Famous Mortimer

kalowski

Amazed we've got here without mentioning Editions of You, the epitome of glam rock punk.
Brilliant band that for many years I'd assumed were terrible MOR.

Greg Torso

just testing the new youtube link thing

ah, nice

Artie Fufkin

Yes! Do The Strand is one of my all time fave songs EVER. Love when they did it on Old Grey Whistle Test and Whispering Bob Harris hates it. Lolzy.

poodlefaker

THE BOGUS MAN mthfckrs! Esp the way it segues into Grey Lagoons

pigamus

QuoteGreat to see 'Same Old Scene' getting so much love, my favourite Roxy tune.

And mine. Shout out for Oh Yeah as well - my theory is you don't hear that very much because nobody knows what it's called. Should have called it Band Playing on the Radio or something.

Greg Torso

Quote from: kalowski on November 18, 2021, 06:37:13 AMEditions of You

fuck, and hell, YES. Just been listening to that, it's got everything: blatted sax solo, twiddling theremin noise, B Ferry's tape-chewed vocal bleating. all it's missing is a fake ending on a bouncy carsehole.

Greg Torso

For Your Pleasure might be my favourite.

Custard

For Your Pleasure is an absolute corker

You can't really go wrong with any of the first five. Just one great tune after another

1979's Manifesto seems to be the lowest scoring record on Rate Your Music, but it's daft really as that is brimming with cracking tunes too. It probably has my favourite artwork too

So their "worst" is still leagues ahead of a lot of bands' best!

I can definitely see the influence on Talking Heads, too! Wonder if they've ever acknowledged it?

Video Game Fan 2000

The acapella verse in the title track is spine chilling. And the industrial outro...

I'm into Beauty Queen and Grey Lagoons too. Mad that the breakdown on Beauty Queen sounds exactly like what Neu! were doing the same year. It's hard to name an art rock trend they didn't anticipate.

Video Game Fan 2000

No mention of Pyjamarama yet!

SpiderChrist

For Your Pleasure and Avalon are probably my favourites, but I don't think they ever put out a bad album.

SpiderChrist

Oh yeah, another vote for Viva - fantastic live album.

QuoteEskimos and Geordies!