Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The War On Terror reaches it's inevitable nadir.

Started by BlodwynPig, November 19, 2021, 09:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19727506.blue-badge-holders-permanently-banned-parking-york-footstreets/

Real and credible threat
QuoteOfficers have said the move is needed to protect pedestrians from potential terrorist attacks.

Goldentony

IMO park in a city that isnt shit or full of cunts, impossible in the UK atm but maybe, some day

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh this is bullshit. This is 100% fucking business owners moaning about "abuse of disabled stickers" or something. "Terrorist attacks" fuck off.

Glebe

To be fair, how do we know these people didn't become disabled because they tried suicide bombing an orphanage?

buttgammon

Surely they could come up with a better excuse for discriminating against disabled drivers and passengers than 'they might blow us up'?

Glebe

shoulders

You have to say those disabled badge holders have been laughing at us, lording it over us with their special privileges for far too long.

It's just something you have to say, loudly, at a fire drill.

Blumf

You all moan, but it was a needed step to stop ISIS blue badge holders

Fambo Number Mive

By their logic they may as well ban any cars from the centre of York and have everyone frisked every fifteen minutes.

I suspect most of the people cheering on the council's decision in the comments of the York Press don't know anyone with a blue badge. They don't care how much of an issue it is as long as it doesn't affect them.

The crowdfunder to oppose this stupid decision by the council is here: https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/closedtous/

I'm against terrorism of course, but discriminating against one section of society in this way and restricting freedoms is what the terrorists want. If an attack is highly likely, have extra police checking where cars are parked for suspicious items.

York Council has form for treating disabled people badly:

QuoteA councillor was told she could not take part in a debate about disabled access to York city centre - because she is disabled.

According to Local Democracy Reporter Chloe Laversuch, who was at a City of York Council meeting to discuss whether blue badge holders should be given access to the city centre, the council took the decision to exclude two disabled councillors: Cllr Katie Lomas and Cllr Ashley Mason.

There was an immediate outcry as Chloe reported on the extraordinary turn of events, and the decision was swiftly reversed during a break in proceedings, according to the reporter...

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-excluded-disabled-debate-york-21065960

Midas

QuoteHe added: "It's not so much if a terrorist attack happens but when. It is reasonably foreseeable to see someone coming to York, if there wasn't any hostile vehicle mitigation, at something like the Christmas market and driving that vehicle to kill as many people as possible."

Transparently dishonest.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Midas on November 19, 2021, 02:56:22 PMTransparently dishonest.

Far far worse than that. A man who's only ambition in life was to reach the age of 55 and buy a pair of comfortable loafers that he could wear inside his bungalow and kick off, half-ecstatically, before pouring himself a tumbler of Famous Grouse and settling down for a night of Endeavour...Morse on Gold if he's feeling naughty.

Pray for York this Christmas.

kalowski

I see they've opened up the Norfolk Broads to wheelchair users. Unbelievable. It might seem like a good thing but how many people do you know in wheelchairs who genuinely want to go on the Norfolk Broads? I'd suggest it's 0.00000000000000001%. Is it worth the disruption for largely blameless able-bodied people?

Tony Tony Tony

If I'm stopped from parking in my town centre then the terrorists have won.

jobotic

I believe town centre parking is Islamic State's main bugbear. They HATE it.

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on November 20, 2021, 10:09:49 AMI believe town centre parking is Islamic State's main bugbear. They HATE it.

When you look at their strategy, you realise this is the key. In many parts of Syria, town centre parking is a thing of the past, largely because they've destroyed all parking facilities (and town centres). The sad thing is that they could have achieved something similar by supporting the pedestrianisation of town centres and improved park and ride facilities.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 20, 2021, 10:03:48 AMIf I'm stopped from parking in my town centre then the terrorists have won.

Guaranteed that terror will visit your town this Christmas. Probably in the form of a Coca Cola lorry.

buttgammon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 20, 2021, 10:57:27 AMGuaranteed that terror will visit your town this Christmas. Probably in the form of a Coca Cola lorry.

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming, holidays are coming, always Al-Qaeda.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote...Mr Pythian, a member of York Disability Rights Forum, told i: "The council put some bays on the far edge of the city centre and has claimed them as mitigation.

"All are outside 150 metres of the centre and many are expected to be shared with delivery vehicles, which makes them unusable by disabled people.

"Disabled people are excluded from the city, and they have had to venture to neighbouring towns at least 15 miles away to do their shopping. York is no longer a human rights city."

Jane Burton, who has lived on the verge of York's city centre for 40 years, said she can no longer go to the Post Office under the restrictions.

"The only Post Office shuts at 8pm. What am I meant to do if I need to deliver a package or fill out important paperwork?," she told i.

"The Greens are backing this because they want cars out of the city centre, but they are refusing to consider the wider picture for disabled people despite us repeatedly mentioning the issues."...

According to the Canary 7,500 people hold Blue Badges in York.

Zetetic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 21, 2021, 06:10:14 PMAccording to the Canary 7,500 people hold Blue Badges in York.
This is useless information without knowing how many of them are terrorists.

canadagoose

The council is apparently run by the Lib Dems. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Lib Dem. How they can put this through, I don't know.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on November 21, 2021, 06:11:22 PMThis is useless information without knowing how many of them are terrorists.

Only needs to be the one.

mothman

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 21, 2021, 06:10:14 PMAccording to the Canary 7,500 people hold Blue Badges in York.
Katie Melua considers rewrite.

Johnny Foreigner

Where is this place called Terror? Let us go and bomb it to annihilation forthwith.

Glebe