Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I took a trip north of Montrose today with mixed blessings, a few charity shop finds and a recycle depot that was a chaotic mess,
however some things rose to the surface but I got pretty mucky in the process.

Nice 70's jazz guitar compilation which was in an Arabic (?) poly-lined outer sleeve, any info on what it actually says appreciated!

White label test pressing for a release that was only ever available as a free promotional cassette tape in 1987,
a copy of the tape cover was inside the plain sleeve. The Inter-City train story narrated by Sir Michael Hordern.

The outer cover was tatty but the disc is playable enough and what a beautiful thing it is too!

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu77H0gsAYY

Private pressing of a 12" with an experimental electronic vibe, couldn't find much out about the artist Dominic White even on Discogs.

Four track 12" by The Horrors includes a steady cover of Suffragette City.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UJ-rVvy_lU

Old Trad Jazz LP in a daft cover from 1961.

The cover had some light damage but the record is OK, thankfully Evel doesn't sing on it.

kalowski

OK, I wouldn't call it a "find" but the new vinyl of the White Stripes' White Blood Cells came out today and it's great. Sounds lovely.

WhoMe

Was in a 2nd hand record shop on Thursday, the guy behind the counter noticed I was picking out Jazz stuff and asked if I want to see what's just come in from a big collector. Whaps out three huge piles of near-mint Blue Note, Riverside, Impulse and all sorts of 60s/70s gems. If I'd had the time/budget I'd still be there now looking through it.
Came away with Charlie Byrd Trio - Byrd at the Gate, Bill Evans - Explorations and Herbie Hancock - My Point of View.
Roll on next pay day and hopefully there'll still be something left, although they've put the word out on social media so it'll likely be thinned out by then. 

Head Gardener

Bit of a long shot for my friends in the north but today I'm doing a record fair in a pub in Milton Keynes for the first time in years. I've got so much stuff to get rid of including hundreds of CDs and singles for a pound a pop (6 for a fiver) so if you're anywhere near the middle of England come and say hi! AND claim a FREE exclusive limited edition mix CD (I've only got ten to give away so come early).

https://www.thecraufurdarms.com/events/2021-10-31-milton-keynes-record-fair-the-craufurd-arms

Pauline Walnuts

Milton Keynes? The North?

Ya soft southern jessie.

Head Gardener

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 31, 2021, 11:30:23 AM
Milton Keynes? The North?

Ya soft southern jessie.
I was meaning my Scottish friends, I'm only visiting the south for a few days

phantom_power

At a charity shop today I got the following for 15 quid for the lot:

The Jam - Sound Affects, The Gift, Dig the New Breed, Setting Sons
Style Council - Our Favourite Shop
The Beatles - Help, 1967-1970
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack, Night at the Opera, Greatest Hits

If I had been there a few minutes earlier I would have got In The City and All Mod Cons as well

Some of the covers are battered and water-warped but they all play well so far so fuck me what a bargain

Head Gardener

Albums that have been working their way from fairs and boots and charity shops to my turntable these past few weeks.

Pretty nice space/prog rock from the mid 70's inspired by the book of the same name.

listen to the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-hm5uQNZg

Happy to pay a fiver for this, I think I've only ever seen it on CD before.

you know it off by heart now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDheFajWYUM

Covering all bases this is lovely original English pressing of an Irish folk album in an American sleeve.

Christian folk inspired by Des O'Hare's book 'In The Begginin Wuz The Werd' and other Liverpool tales, calm down, calm down.

Sadly this is not the legendary Captain Marryat album also on the Thor label which released around the same time as this one by a less exciting Scottish folk duo.

Still not sure quite what I'll do with this Cuban poetry compilation.

The shirts! the flares! the lettering! the cover versions!

I have a few car maintenance singles but this is the first album I've come across, it came in a plain sleeve.

I bought this weird Dutch double album in a fantastic fold-out sleeve from DJ Food at the Groovy Fayre a few weeks ago and only just got round
to listening to it, I wish the music was as bizarre as the artwork as it's pretty dull to be honest, that's probably why he sold it for a couple of quid...

WhoMe

Not sure if worth its own thread but an interesting article on the current vinyl manufacturing crunch.
If the record for a band you like is 5 months behind the digital release it's Adele's fault, basically.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/adele-vinyl-record-pressing-plant-lp-shortages-1235103951/

Malcy

Spotted by my mum in a charity shop today. NEVER seen vinyl displayed like that before...

Head Gardener

50p well spent in Barnard's this afternoon

kalowski

Beautiful. Two Margarines is just one of the greatest things ever.

Head Gardener

I won a box of albums in an auction last week for £26 but I took the majority straight to a charity shop as there was a lot of pop and country, but for some bizarre reason there was a whole batch of 'teach yourself drums' albums. All US pressings and mostly for Jazzers but they stand up as great albums to listen to in their own right, I was only slightly disappointed there wasn't more commentary on some as I might have been able to sample some of that, tis but a minor quibble as most have great sleeves and booklets and I had never seen any of them before.

kalowski

Again, my "finds" are never obscure but make me happy. Today I came home with
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper
Dexy's - Too Rye Ay
ABC - The Lexicon of Love
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones

And I have Sonny Rollins with Oliver Nelson play "Alfie" on its way.

Head Gardener

Amazon eat your heart out!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 19, 2021, 07:51:17 PMNice 70's jazz guitar compilation which was in an Arabic (?) poly-lined outer sleeve, any info on what it actually says appreciated!

It is Arabic - my wife thinks the top line says something about "The News of Saudi Arabia", the rest seems to suggest they're the company that distributed this record out there, with some of the rest being their address.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

I won a box of old records at the auction and found this one sided 78rpm lurking inside. It is from around 1904 and as well as being one of the oldest 78's in my collection is most likely the oldest Scottish (or any) football related record in the world!

kngen

Oh wow, that's amazing. As a Celtic fan, I'm incredibly intrigued as to the contents. Do you have a 78rpm player that you could record a wee snippet with?

Head Gardener

Quote from: kngen on December 20, 2021, 07:08:23 PMOh wow, that's amazing. As a Celtic fan, I'm incredibly intrigued as to the contents. Do you have a 78rpm player that you could record a wee snippet with?

I tried recording it on my phone from the gramophone but the quality was awful so am giving it to a  friend who has the technology to rip & clean it up well, may take a few weeks what with Xmas/ NY but it's getting sorted, will post the results here of course

Head Gardener

The Scottish Daily Record have done a piece on a rare 78 that I found earlier this week

Head Gardener

I have a big article in today's national Daily Record newspaper about the 78

famethrowa

Great stuff HG! Misleading topline though... maybe The Magnificent 1907?

Head Gardener

Quote from: famethrowa on December 23, 2021, 10:29:58 PMGreat stuff HG! Misleading topline though... maybe The Magnificent 1907?

haha, yeah a few folk have been telling me that - I blame the journo who rang me up asking questions whilst I was Xmas shopping and he must have got over excited, am looking forward to sharing the audio after it's cleaned up

kngen

That's amazing, HG! Really curious as to the history behind it.

Malcy

Thanks for the scan as not clicking on anything DR related. Fucking scum no better than The Sun as far as I'm concerned.

How did they know about the find? Hope their shitty journos's aren't lurking here!

I've done well recently in terms of rare(ish) stuff. Mostly eBay finds but have been continuing my Leonard Nimoy purchases including a signed copy of his 'Two Sides Of Leonard Nimoy' from 1967.

Also picked up a Clive James single sided poetry sampler that as far as the internet is concerned doesn't exist so adding that to Discogs when I have a chance, and a Big Daddy Kane album with a signature on the front that I cant identify but know it isn't BDK himself.

Mr_Simnock

Head Gardener I would love to hear this -
QuoteThe earliest 78 that I have before I found this one is 'the sound of a captive nightingale' released in 1910 on HMV

Head Gardener

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 27, 2021, 07:32:55 PMHead Gardener I would love to hear this -

some kind soul in Wales uploaded it

Malcy wrote "Thanks for the scan as not clicking on anything DR related. Fucking scum no better than The Sun as far as I'm concerned.

How did they know about the find? Hope their shitty journos's aren't lurking here!"

they saw it on my FB page and contacted me for the story - the Courier in Dundee did a bit about it on their site and they're waiting on the cleaned up recording and they'll print it up but there's more info on the background story here: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/2861001/rangers-celtic-vinyl/

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Malcy on November 04, 2021, 05:28:51 PMSpotted by my mum in a charity shop today. NEVER seen vinyl displayed like that before...

Wasn't in Frome was it?? Saw the same sort of display the other week, very strange