Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kida-mnesia

Started by Glyn, September 07, 2021, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 12, 2021, 10:28:56 AMKid A is tonally crisp, sharp and austere, evoking the vast snowscapes in that era's artwork, whereas Amnesiac has a murkier, swampy vibe.

Yeah I think each albums version of 'Morning Bell' sort of hints at that album's particular vibe when it comes to instrumentation and atmosphere. Although I'm really not sure why they put the same song on both albums to be honest (I've never found it that interesting or arresting anyway.)

Quote from: Glyn on November 19, 2021, 10:58:00 AMIt's really good! Beautiful and terrifying, often at the same time. The video (and alternative mix) of How to Disappear was incredible and I get the feeling I haven't found everything yet. Really hope the audio tracks emerge from this as there is a lot of interesting stuff in here.

Looking forward to sparking up a joint and investigating this tonight.

madhair60

Quote from: Glyn on November 19, 2021, 10:58:00 AMIt's really good! Beautiful and terrifying, often at the same time. The video (and alternative mix) of How to Disappear was incredible and I get the feeling I haven't found everything yet. Really hope the audio tracks emerge from this as there is a lot of interesting stuff in here.

Spoiler alert
The blue room with the creeping devil and giant man you get dumped in after the Disappear/Pyramid/Army section gave me a genuine "I have to get out of here NOW" panic attack, which has never happened to me with a "game" before.
[close]

Glyn

The Radiohead Reddit is having a field day pulling out all of the audio files from this. Will wait until it all gets indexed to download it though (as there are hundreds of files already and a lot are just incidental sounds).
From what I have seen in the exhibition so far they are mostly alternative mixes and live tracks (rather than anything completely 'new') but should be interesting when it is all sorted through.

popcorn

I enjoyed the exhibition. It's clearly been made with a lot of love and care and was less cheap and gimmicky than I was expecting - not to mention less boring.

I was surprised much certain bits of it reminded me of Half-Life 2 - the National Anthem room with all the TV monitors felt like Kleiner's lab, I kept habitually pressing the E key to try to interact with things.

Quote from: Glyn on November 19, 2021, 11:05:31 PMThe Radiohead Reddit is having a field day pulling out all of the audio files from this. Will wait until it all gets indexed to download it though (as there are hundreds of files already and a lot are just incidental sounds).
From what I have seen in the exhibition so far they are mostly alternative mixes and live tracks (rather than anything completely 'new') but should be interesting when it is all sorted through.

Yeah I've been watching this with interest. It seems there's still a lot of processing and sorting to do, but there are already a few interesting bits and pieces floating about. Someone made an hour-long YouTube compilation of a few highlights, though I think they're a bit mislabeled, some of the "alternative versions" are just live takes.

popcorn

Quote from: Johnny Textface on November 19, 2021, 03:31:12 PMYeah I think each albums version of 'Morning Bell' sort of hints at that album's particular vibe when it comes to instrumentation and atmosphere. Although I'm really not sure why they put the same song on both albums to be honest (I've never found it that interesting or arresting anyway.)

I think it's important as the most explicit link between the albums. As you say, they both seem to exemplify the album they're on - Kid A is sleek and cold and Amnesiac is grumpy but oddly festive. To me it's appropriate that an album called Amnesiac has this weird remnant of the previous album on it, like it's half-remembered or a recurring trauma or something.

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 03, 2021, 07:07:46 PMThe album version of "I Will" baffles me the most because I remember them talking it up so much - Thom loves the song and wants it perfect, no Amnesiac messing around this one has to be a good proper version, and then they release a version that sounds like he sung it into a dictaphone taped to Colin's chest. And now they're opening the vaults they include a version of a song thats based on "I Will" backing track reversed, but no actual studio take of the original song, that they mentioned recording so many times.

This might please you: https://v3.fastupload.co/file/9670

(This was created by finding the isolated synth track for Like Spinning Plates in the game, reversing it to recreate the original I Will audio, and then applying the I Will vocals from HTTT.)

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: popcorn on November 22, 2021, 11:03:01 AMThis might please you: https://v3.fastupload.co/file/9670

(This was created by finding the isolated synth track for Like Spinning Plates in the game, reversing it to recreate the original I Will audio, and then applying the I Will vocals from HTTT.)

It does, a lot!

I have a big soft spot for the "crappy Kraftwerk" sound, it suits Thom's voice and songwriting, I love Backdrifts and Tomorrows Modern Boxes is easily my favourite Thom Yorke solo thing.

popcorn

Extended mix of Pyramid Song: https://vocaroo.com/15MbO20KIfOg

Basically more spooky noises at the start and end.

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 22, 2021, 04:48:33 PMTomorrows Modern Boxes is easily my favourite Thom Yorke solo thing.

Mine too - I like how minimal it is without sounding scrappy or "laptoppy" like some of his other solo stuff. I think it's his most pure "electronic" album and I like that a lot.