Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Big March 31st Trans Fundraising Topic

Started by canadagoose, November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Kelvin

Same. Its the best I've seen suggested so far. Doesn't get into the weeds of Linehan's crusade, but hints at what the fundraiser is about.

Barry Admin

Yes I love it too. I also agree that this shouldn't be all about spiting Linehan - or at least it should not be positioned that way.

Although it's a bit of a bugger, cause one of the few ideas I've had is to write something that eviscerates the cunt, partly as I've had good luck with going viral previously.

That might still be possible, I'll explain where I'm at with this now in terms of ideas:

Today I'll take the site down for a short while, and hopefully get a further update done, and a portal reinstalled. This will give me an actual site again, beyond the forums, but based all around it. Then I can have side bars where we can list trans charities, hashtags, and so on. I can also take posts and turn them into articles because we'll have an actual front page again. I could do things like have a running total displayed on one of the side blocks - remember where the Amazon banner and the links to the CaB wiki and stuff used to be?

Today I'm gonna have another go at getting access to my fucking Twitter account. I want to get in touch with Joss Prior and Katy Montgomerie with a view to getting advice, and I figure they can help put me in touch with other activists who may want to be involved. I really don't want to get dragged into Twitter again, but figure I can get into some kind of activists group chat, and spitball this whole thing, and get more involvement and advice from trans people.

That's basically it so far. If I can get the portal reinstalled today, then that gives us the ability to start promoting already, because I'll be able to direct folks from the front page to this thread, and likely also to the Glinner threads for background info.

Barry Admin

I think I finally figured out how to recover my twitter account without having to remember whatever bullshit phone number I gave the cunts. Let's go, back into the hellsite 😩

buttgammon

Good luck Barry, you might need it considering how awful Twitter can be! Really appreciate your effort with this.

Dr Rock

Barry Admin

I'll be honest... I've had thoughts of getting more directly involved with the terf wars over the last couple of years, but always resisted as I didn't want to Glinner myself. I'm already super interested in all the discussion, and have thought of doing things like a collaborative wiki where we track the lies and bullshit. A lot of it would have been specifically about going after Linehan. As I say though, I didn't want to Glinner myself by becoming an anti-Glinner.

I actually did a fundraising thing a few years ago which I kept any mention of off here, and it was successful, and my strategy worked. I'm hopeful that Katy and Joss will be up for this, and can help us to get it to take on its own momentum outside of CaB. At the very least we need more direct involvement and advice from trans people.

Over the last two weeks I've been pessimistic and didn't feel up to what was required for all this; I figured we could hopefully get Xmas dinners sent out to some trans people at the very least.

Now, I think we can aim higher, and hopefully this will go really well. The fact that we'll be getting people to donate directly to the charities is fucking great, because it will neuter a lot of the shit flinging that CaB will almost certainly endure.

Let's. Fucking. GO.

Dex Sawash

#fbag
Spoiler alert
follow back anti glinner
[close]

fancywookiee

Trans activism UK (https://mobile.twitter.com/transactivismuk) and some of the folks involved like Felix Fern, Laura Kate Dale and Sophia McAllister might give things a boost. Similarly Fox Fisher and Ugla Stefania at My Genderation, similarly (https://mobile.twitter.com/mygenderation).

rue the polywhirl

#BeYourself, #LastTrainToTransCentral, #StopTheHate #TransitionHaveYouGivenThisFundraisingAListenIfYouRatePleaseDonate

Pimhole

Here's a thread from Trans Aid Cymru which makes me want to give them all my money, hbu.

https://twitter.com/transguyrudy/status/1462100504775991300

ETA - I'm really impressed with the amount of work you're putting into this Barry. Good man.

bgmnts

Interesting.

Obviously I know nothing about this but are regular charities and non profits discriminating against LGBTQ people in regards to making sure they have their material needs met? If so wtf?

flotemysost

Is there anything those of us who don't really have a Twitter/social media presence can do to help (other than urging people we know to donate anyway, of course)?

Kankurette

Just bumping this thread to ask, what's the latest? Have we officially decided what charities to donate to and is there a JustGiving page or similar to donate via?

Mister Six

Bumping again. I would like to donate (I will anyway, if this fundraiser doesn't go ahead, but it would be nice to be part of a "thing").

Mister Six

Bumping again while the UK lot are actually up.

canadagoose

Yeah, I'm keen to see this happen too. Is there anything I can help out with?

Kankurette

Barry, if you're reading this, should I set up a JustGiving page or is there a better site to donate through?

Barry Admin

No it goes direct to the charities.

Yeah hopefully still going ahead, I dunno how honestly

Kankurette

I've set up a provisional fundraising page  removed with Mermaids as the charity of choice. If we're still doing three charities, I'll edit it and then split the proceeds three ways. I've done the page under CaB rather than my real name.

Any idea of a potential target? It's also going to need an introductory spiel, without mentioning Graham Linehan because he and his fan club know about the latest thread.

canadagoose

Quote from: Kankurette on December 06, 2021, 01:12:08 PMI've set up a provisional fundraising page removed with Mermaids as the charity of choice. If we're still doing three charities, I'll edit it and then split the proceeds three ways. I've done the page under CaB rather than my real name.

Any idea of a potential target? It's also going to need an introductory spiel, without mentioning Graham Linehan because he and his fan club know about the latest thread.
I thought there were more than three? If we're limiting it to three for practicality purposes, Gendered Intelligence is a good one to add, as someone else suggested earlier.

Barry Admin

Can you remove that? The money goes direct to the charities, not sure why you're collecting it?

jenna appleseed

It's a justgiving page, the donations should be going straight to Mermaids?
from the bottom of the page "Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity."

madhair60

My understanding was that there's no central donation page, we're just going to be donating to our chosen charities.

Cuellar

Kankurette

OK, that's fine, I thought we were supposed to have one but it would be easier for me if I didn't have to organise a central fundraising page anyway. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Povidone

I'm looking at charities up my way (Edinburgh and the Lothians) to donate. I've done a lot of fundraising for foodbanks and community projects over the years using these folks banner:

We Shall Overcome

Not necessarily suggesting we need to involve them but the idea of using a central theme and leaving the fundraising activities to individuals, possibly collating in some way, seems like what we're going for here? WSO usually gathered photos and totals from individual events and would post updates on twitter but the whole thing was quite informal.

I'm in the process of dinghying any and all social media as I can't be fucked with it anymore but would hapilly log on to Facebook on the 19th and do some posting if it boosts the message, might as well make my final act on there something worthwhile.

Barry Admin

I think postpone this until the new year, for a variety of reasons. It's way too much for me at the minute and I'm worrying about trying to get it done when I don't even have electric, it's dumb. I need to get a lot of IRL stuff sorted out and then do this in a way where it's not shit. I still literally have no idea how it will work either, :"hey everyone, this site full of offensive shit is asking you to donate to charity."

I think it's pretty sus that Linehan had his minions collecting supposedly compromising screenshots from CaB for the last while also.

So I think I'd prefer to push it to January and go with the original idea with more time: so that's basically, 1) try and write one or two things, 2) get in touch with Joss Prior and Katy Montgomerie and see if they can get involved with suggestions and content. More work needs to be done on the site also in order to get a portal up.

sophie.pilbeam

If anyone still wants to donate on the 19th, some friends of mine are running a charity stream to benefit TransActive, which will go from the 17th to the 19th. It's a yearly thing for them, so can confirm it's solid and professionally run. This year, an anonymous donor is matching donations up to the first $10k, so anything donated will effectively count double. The page is here.

Barry Admin

See they have a whole stream planned. What do we have? Literally nothing. So can someone please come up with suggestions and ideas for this so I don't now spend all Xmas worrying about it as well?