Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roxy Music

Started by Custard, November 17, 2021, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 18, 2021, 10:49:54 PMIt's hard to name an art rock trend they didn't anticipate.

The Fall

Video Game Fan 2000

The Bogus Man and The Numberer are prime early repetition

pupshaw

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 18, 2021, 01:00:52 PMYes! Do The Strand is one of my all time fave songs EVER. Love when they did it on Old Grey Whistle Test and Whispering Bob Harris hates it. Lolzy.

Rhododendron is a nice flower.

the science eel

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 18, 2021, 10:49:54 PMI'm into Beauty Queen and Grey Lagoons too. Mad that the breakdown on Beauty Queen sounds exactly like what Neu! were doing the same year.

Well, if Neu! had libidos....

I fucking love that middle section. It's like a fleet of fire engines speeding around a corner. Eno did mad bits like that later in his career (the synth solo in 'King's Lead Hat' for one) but never quite matched THAT, in my opinion

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: the science eel on November 19, 2021, 07:22:58 PMthe synth solo in 'King's Lead Hat' for one

I thought they were both Fripp

Although with talk about Talking Heads/Roxy influence, Kings Lead Hat should have come up before. Especially the last verse that's sung in Byrne parody voice.

kalowski

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 19, 2021, 07:36:15 PMI thought they were both Fripp

Although with talk about Talking Heads/Roxy influence, Kings Lead Hat should have come up before. Especially the last verse that's sung in Byrne parody voice.
And the name of the song!

Johnboy

Looking forward to hearing their later albums which I never considered prior to reading this thread

The Culture Bunker

Looking at their UK singles discography, and that's a run as good as anyone else can boast. The weakest - in my opinion - of the lot was, of course, their biggest hit.

kalowski

Flesh and Blood is in my local record shop for £3.99

Dirty Boy

First three are incredible. Was under the impression they went rubbish after Siren, but i've recently got into Avalon which becomes a strangely atmospheric beast when you've heard it afew times. Previous couple of albums are cack though.

Will have to listen to Viva if it's proggy!

Dirty Boy

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 18, 2021, 02:06:53 PMTHE BOGUS MAN mthfckrs! Esp the way it segues into Grey Lagoons
Yep, this.

the science eel

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 19, 2021, 09:22:53 PMFirst three are incredible. Was under the impression they went rubbish after Siren, but i've recently got into Avalon which becomes a strangely atmospheric beast when you've heard it afew times. Previous couple of albums are cack though.

Will have to listen to Viva if it's proggy!

oh it isn't REALLY! I think what Eddie Jobson does over 'Out Of The Blue' takes Roxy a touch closer to - I dunno, ELP or something? but no, not

The version of 'Both Ends Burning' on Viva! absolutely smokes. It beats the version on Siren (an album I've never been able to get into, either) handily.

Sebastian Cobb

Virginia Plain is such a banger, fuzzy tape saturation and all

These Foolish Things is a belter of a solo album too.

non capisco

Ferry's vocals sound like Glam Dracula on Virginia Plain. What a tune. What a calling card. Every second of that thing is the perfect '70s synthesis of nostalgia and futurism.

Egyptian Feast

It's one of the most perfect singles of all. So many things happen in three minutes it's a little world in itself and then it just ends.

kalowski

And it wasn't even on the album.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on November 19, 2021, 08:52:20 PMFlesh and Blood is in my local record shop for £3.99
Someone beat me to it.

pupshaw

Quote from: kalowski on November 20, 2021, 07:59:46 AMAnd it wasn't even on the album.
It was recorded after the first album was completed.
In any case it wouldn't have fit in at all on the album. It has a different style and the production is different too.
Remake/Remodel is the real calling card of the band at that time, and Virginia Plain, wonderful as it is,
could only exist as a single. Nothing can follow it.

I delete it from the list if I play the (re-issued) album.

benjitz

I think I read/heard somewhere that the half-volume introduction of Virginia Plain was one of the first instances of Loudness War manipulation: tricking radio DJs into thinking the song was going to be a lot quieter level than it actually turns out to be, so they would nudge the fader up as it was playing resulting in the song blasting out louder than other records to catch the listener's attention when the verse began. No idea if that's actually true, but given their pioneering nature, it wouldn't surprise me...

Head Gardener

great (same old) scene