Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Morris of The Bluetones

Started by PaulTMA, November 17, 2021, 11:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

This bit stayed with me:

Quoteit did leave me feeling pretty shit about myself and left me with just a little bit more evidence that I end up being attracted to men who aren't very respectful to me.

I wonder what the solution to this is, as it feels like it's cyclical.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kankurette on November 17, 2021, 06:16:10 PM
The quote:
Tuppence-ha'penny looking down on tuppence, as my old Nan used to say. I'm just sad these things get trotted out and no-one goes "you know it's not the fault of immigrants that working-class people are getting less?"

Chicory

Fucking hell's bells.  Sometimes it genuinely IS the ones you least suspect.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2021, 06:46:25 PM
Tuppence-ha'penny looking down on tuppence, as my old Nan used to say. I'm just sad these things get trotted out and no-one goes "you know it's not the fault of immigrants that working-class people are getting less?"

To be fair to Swells, he made exactly this point to Morriss in the interview. He was surprisingly lenient with them given his previous with Morrissey and the Happy Mondays. I remember another one with Primal Scream where he tongue-in-cheek called them Nazis for releasing Swastika Eyes. Bobby was not amused.

Goldentony

Quote from: Proactive on November 17, 2021, 12:11:33 PM
Hasn't done much decent since Return of the Mack IMO.

Someone round here used to put the Bluetones guy on a lot and more or less every time they started a thread for a show someone would go RETURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN OF THE MACK and do his fucking head in

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Harry Badger on November 17, 2021, 07:11:22 PM
To be fair to Swells, he made exactly this point to Morriss in the interview. He was surprisingly lenient with them given his previous with Morrissey and the Happy Mondays. I remember another one with Primal Scream where he tongue-in-cheek called them Nazis for releasing Swastika Eyes. Bobby was not amused.
Fair do's, good on him.

Goldentony

Quote from: Goldentony on November 17, 2021, 07:15:08 PM

Someone round here used to put the Bluetones guy on a lot and more or less every time they started a thread for a show someone would go RETURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN OF THE MACK and do his fucking head in

just to follow up with this, the same thing happened whenever Rose Kemp played

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kankurette on November 17, 2021, 06:10:34 PM
It's not just the cheating, it's the mental abuse and the effect his behaviour has had on kids. I mean, denying you have a daughter when she's right there?

Given.

Kankurette

What happened with Swells and the Happy Mondays? Did Shaun go on a rant about the immigrants as well?
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2021, 06:46:25 PM
Swells did make that point in the article. And yeah, I wish more people did point out that immigrants are not the bad guy here.

ETA: balls, someone already pointed that out.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Goldentony on November 17, 2021, 07:15:08 PM

Oh, my, GOD!

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 17, 2021, 04:18:44 PM
It sounds like controlling or coercive behaviour, which is illegal.

Also:

'She said police had previously visited the household but that Morriss told them she was lying about her allegations. He was "finally" cautioned for "throttling" her when she showed police a photograph that appeared to show eight finger markings around her neck.'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/17/bluetones-frontman-mark-morriss-denies-allegations-of-physical-and-emotional-abuse

Harry Badger

Quote from: Kankurette on November 17, 2021, 07:57:04 PM
What happened with Swells and the Happy Mondays? Did Shaun go on a rant about the immigrants as well?Swells did make that point in the article. And yeah, I wish more people did point out that immigrants are not the bad guy here.

ETA: balls, someone already pointed that out.

It was rank homophobia in the Mondays' case. Bez saying that he found gay people disgusting among other things.

Kankurette

Ha, like Bez is in any position to call anyone disgusting.

boki

Quote from: Harry Badger on November 17, 2021, 08:38:50 PMIt was rank homophobia in the Mondays' case. Bez saying that he found gay people disgusting among other things.
Shaun tried to put across a more 'live and let live' stance, but still peppered it with casual f-bombs IIRC.

poodlefaker

Shaun's response to Bez was along the lines of "you weren't that bothered when Boy George was sharing his drugs with you", iirc.

Custard

I imagine Bez is more enlightened these days. He almost comes across as an actual person recently

Goldentony

there was that great period of time he was being filmed in someones front room having a bare knuckle fight

Chicory

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 18, 2021, 05:32:49 PMI imagine Bez is more enlightened these days. He almost comes across as an actual person recently

Convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend as recently as 2010 - although he claimed at the time it was 'self defence' and he 'didn't do it' - which at least is consistent (for someone as clearly stupid as he seems).

Kankurette

Shaun works in an Oxfam shop, so at least he's mellowed out a bit.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Goldentony on November 18, 2021, 07:41:23 PMthere was that great period of time he was being filmed in someones front room having a bare knuckle fight

Forgot about that.  It was considered a draw but here he is bleeding like a pig

Bez is an awful cunt. A remorseless domestic abuser and a danger to women. Absolutely bizarre that he gets wheeled out on programmes like Celebrity Masterchef as if he's some sort of cuddly eccentric.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Check out the wide foot stanced men in the background. Is that required to watch a pagger?

Neomod

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 19, 2021, 08:27:05 PMForgot about that.  It was considered a draw but here he is bleeding like a pig

Kankurette

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 19, 2021, 08:39:11 PMBez is an awful cunt. A remorseless domestic abuser and a danger to women. Absolutely bizarre that he gets wheeled out on programmes like Celebrity Masterchef as if he's some sort of cuddly eccentric.
I never got it either. Celebrity TV has a lot to answer for. Just look what it did for Anne Widdecombe.

Are there any male '90s Britpop musicians who aren't complete cunts/skeevy about women? (I'd include Space, but Jamie shagged fans and bragged about it, and was also pretty racist.)

bgmnts

If bragging about doing lot's of shagging is cardinal, most men are fucked.

How about the Manics or the Beautiful South? They seem dull and chill and nice.

Kankurette

It's more the fact they were underage that's the issue here, tbh.

Apparently Richey Edwards shagged underage fans too. :(

Video Game Fan 2000

At what page will not be tasteless to post that Slight Return is a nadir of grating britpop proper fookin songs.

Four hooks and they're all shite

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2021, 09:35:29 PMHow about the Manics or the Beautiful South? They seem dull and chill and nice.
I have a first-hand witness account of Paul Heaton sparking out a Young Tory at Hull University circa 1984, if that makes them sound more exciting?

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on November 19, 2021, 10:45:21 PMIt's more the fact they were underage that's the issue here, tbh.

Apparently Richey Edwards shagged underage fans too. :(

Could explain why he fucked off on a kibbutz and never came back.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 19, 2021, 10:54:25 PMI have a first-hand witness account of Paul Heaton sparking out a Young Tory at Hull University circa 1984, if that makes them sound more exciting?

Oh yeah sorry I meant dull in the sense of not shagging children or anything.