Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Foreigner

The only pub I recall from my recreational trip to Newcastle upon Tyne some eight years ago was called The Town Wall. I remember it specifically because I was reading Pete Brown's book on the history of beer at the time, and some people in the pub found it boring.

I have no recollection of what I was drinking in Newcastle, but it was a lot. I managed to get lost in the castle keep; walked up and down the stairs several times, but the door had disappeared. Spooky. (Well, I had probably had quite a few, but the point still stands, man. Spooky, like.)

iamcoop

Quote from: prelektric on November 03, 2021, 11:14:35 PM
There's an even better one about 5 mins walk up the road from there, The Punch Bowl. Again, pretty trad and well kept. Great quiz night there too.

Why thank you.

The Punchbowl is my gaff. I am ze landlord.

Come say hello sometime!

Also no disrespect but The Carriage is a bit....shit no? Although their bookshelf is amusing given it's entirely populated by trashy factual books about murderers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Don't look at me, I'm only going off pictures and recommendations in that case.

Out in York this evening. Swan and Phoenix still kicking arse. It's a great time of year to go, especially in the evenings. This is really core warm cosy pub time.

prelektric

Quote from: iamcoop on November 04, 2021, 04:48:40 PM
Why thank you.

The Punchbowl is my gaff. I am ze landlord.

Come say hello sometime!

Also no disrespect but The Carriage is a bit....shit no? Although their bookshelf is amusing given it's entirely populated by trashy factual books about murderers.

Really? Ha! Small world - congrats, you're doing a great job there.

Next time I'm up there (I live in Gateshead) I'll be sure to say hello if you're knocking about! If I ask "Is ze landlord in?" in a faux german accent will I be barred? I hope not.

As for the Carriage, yes I know what you mean, but it's a shitness that I'm oddly comfortable with. I don't think it's obnoxiously shit though, which is the main thing for me!

I was down the Quayside on Thursday afternoon/evening - The Head of Steam on Broad Chare is awful - zero atmosphere, miserable staff, shit beer. We decamped immediately to Redhouse, which is still my favourite in that immediate area, mainly due to its rather unique layout and at least I got more than a grunt from the staff in there.

Blue Jam

One of my students just got a job at one of my favourite pubs. Gutted.

prelektric

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 04, 2021, 07:28:07 PM
Don't look at me, I'm only going off pictures and recommendations in that case.

Out in York this evening. Swan and Phoenix still kicking arse. It's a great time of year to go, especially in the evenings. This is really core warm cosy pub time.

Funny you should mention York, but I was chatting with a new guy at the barbers, and he's from York, and he mentioned a place called "House of Trembling Madness" - an extraordinary name for a pub, just wondering if you knew it?

prelektric

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 06, 2021, 10:32:33 AM
One of my students just got a job at one of my favourite pubs. Gutted.

Ugh, that's shitty news for sure. Can you not just make something up and get them sacked?

(Actually no, don't do that. I'm not a cunt)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: prelektric on November 06, 2021, 10:34:36 AM
Funny you should mention York, but I was chatting with a new guy at the barbers, and he's from York, and he mentioned a place called "House of Trembling Madness" - an extraordinary name for a pub, just wondering if you knew it?

Yep there's two. Stonegate and Lendal. Both quite different.

Stonegate is in an attic and has timber beams and mounted antlers, quite ramshackle and not too tarted up. Beer and cheese soup. So good in winter.

Lendal is a multifloored combo of Georgian splendour and macabre/semi sexual religious art on the walls that is reminiscent of an Medici prince's sado-hangout. Does excellent tapas, hundreds of bottles and cans and is just generally excellent. Big fat hairy vadge poster in the gents. Probably a large engorged penis in the ladies (Linehan).

prelektric

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 06, 2021, 11:59:26 AM
Yep there's two. Stonegate and Lendal. Both quite different.

Stonegate is in an attic and has timber beams and mounted antlers, quite ramshackle and not too tarted up. Beer and cheese soup. So good in winter.

Lendal is a multifloored combo of Georgian splendour and macabre/semi sexual religious art on the walls that is reminiscent of an Medici prince's sado-hangout. Does excellent tapas, hundreds of bottles and cans and is just generally excellent. Big fat hairy vadge poster in the gents.

Brilliant, thanks, it was definitely the latter of the two that he was describing - I'll definitely check both out when I'm down there next (I should go more often, it's only an hour away on the choo-choo)

QuoteProbably a large engorged penis in the ladies (Linehan).

This made me laugh more than was necessary, cheers.

king_tubby

I've got the 'rona and can't leave the house until next Thursday, so Shoulders can you go down the Cardigan and try the new Kirkstall Bitter?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on November 11, 2021, 06:09:36 PM
I've got the 'rona and can't leave the house until next Thursday, so Shoulders can you go down the Cardigan and try the new Kirkstall Bitter?

Telepathy. I was there 2 hours ago.

I was looking forward to slagging it off given Kirkstall have refused to do any brown bitter for so long, but it seems it's actually really good. Cheapest too at £3.60.

My usual (Dissolution IPA) has gone up to £4.00 so this is some necessary competition.

king_tubby

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 11, 2021, 07:20:04 PM
Telepathy. I was there 2 hours ago.

I was looking forward to slagging it off given Kirkstall have refused to do any brown bitter for so long, but it seems it's actually really good. Cheapest too at £3.60.

My usual (Dissolution IPA) has gone up to £4.00 so this is some necessary competition.

Oh good stuff, be nice to have a session beer there that isn't Pale.

Fr.Bigley

I was at the cardy on Wednesday. Spooky.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Still cracking, had to prise myself out of there last night after a couple.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 12, 2021, 11:21:00 AM
Still cracking, had to prise myself out of there last night after a couple.

Kebab&quiz night, Tuesday. Just impossible to leave.

king_tubby

I am undefeated at the quiz there.

Only done it once, mind.

Fr.Bigley

Let's hold each others cocks and team up. Formidable.

shoulders

Leipzig:

Fuck all pubs in the entire city centre.

Obsession with Irish pubs, at least 6 on the same street.

Finally down in Connewitz district some amazing dive bars, solidly left wing too. Looks like Plagwitz was similar but didn't have time to try it.

Johnny Foreigner

Going to Leipzig, as GF wants to see friend. If I come across any rustic watering holes, I shall apprise the world.

shoulders

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 19, 2021, 03:30:19 PMGoing to Leipzig, as GF wants to see friend. If I come across any rustic watering holes, I shall apprise the world.

From my short visit

Beerhalls

- Gose Ohne Bedenken
- Bayerisch Bahnhof
- Auerbachs Keller
- Ratskeller an der Stadt

Other brewpubs:

- Synde Brau
- Brauhaus Napoleon
- Brauhaus an der Thomaskirche

Retro neighbourhood Gaststätten:

- Kollektiv
- Puschkin

Proper down and dirty but fantastic atmospheric pubs:

- Frau Krause
- Konich Heinze
- BillHart
- Zwille

Johnny Foreigner

That's useful. Cheers.

poo

Haven't read this thread but if there's a pub with no more than 10 people in it that serves BRITISH BROWN BEER I'm in.

seepage

I think you mean English brown beer, as British brown beer is made from imported beer concentrate.

amateur

Went to a pub at the weekend that was just one room with a bar at one end. Marvellous, it was.

Bitter wasn't great but the atmosphere was very convivial.

hummingofevil

Hello all. Been some time since I logged on here.

Newcastle pubs.

It's been all change in last couple of years with some of my favs inexpicably ruining themselves and a fair few number of new boys stepping up.

The Bacchus was a thing of pure joy with some of the best decor and beer of any pub going but they have recently had a half refit adding a pool table and multiple TV screens to it's perfect ocean liner interiors and a load of average lines on the bar. It literally makes me sad.

Bodega and Tilleys are still a cracking double header if you in town.

The aforementioned Punch Bowl is now very pleasant and I had an afternoon in there a couple of weeks back doing some work with my 4 month old in tow and whilst my digestive system can't really handle real ale anymore the beer and hospitality was spot on.

Heaton/Byker is the hidden gem if you don't live here. The Heaton Tap and Elderflower Beer Cafe have as good and interesting selection of craft/german/belgian/organic wines that you will find and I have drifted there since lockdown lifted instead of the always amazing Free Trade (sorry Mick - I know you are all friends so won't mind too much). There is also the Old Coal Yard hidden away at bottom end of Shields Rd (it's Byker but 5 mins walk max from The Cumberland) which is now brewery tap for Northern Alchemy and Almasty have a tap room behind Walkergate station a couple of metro stops down.

In summary you ain't going short of top sup in The Toon anytime soon.

:)

king_tubby

Hey @shoulders and @Fr.Bigley and other Leeds people, I've just been to Pies and Ale which opened last week next to the Sheesh on Kirkstall Road. Yep. It does pies and ale. Absolutely tiny, really nicely done out, run by the bloke who used to run the Grove. Recommended.

shoulders

Ah yes, in fact I have had 1 such pie in the Grove. (nice pastry, contents just OK)

Explains why there's a couple of new women running the Grove. Their food has gone back to 2013 quality too. Huge portions of batchcooked chilli for a fiver and such like.

Thanks for the tipoff though as I have been meaning to give it a try.

Fr.Bigley

KING tubs, I know the fella very well. He's a gentleman and has a very consistent attitude to his wares. If there's a CaB meet in Leeds he is the one I'd ask to host it. You're right, brilliant pies, great ale and fantastic banter. All out ilk. Let us and shoulders know!

shoulders

Right so Halifax is pretty good for pubs and bars:

Big 6
Three Pigeons Ale House
The Grayston Unity
Victorian Craft Beer Cafe
Cross Keys

All first time visits and they were some high quality establishments.

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on December 05, 2021, 10:07:59 PMRight so Halifax is pretty good for pubs and bars:

Big 6
Three Pigeons Ale House
The Grayston Unity
Victorian Craft Beer Cafe
Cross Keys

All first time visits and they were some high quality establishments.

Oh that Halifax?

Fuck them.