Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 24, 2021, 12:04:39 AM
Gruff was superb, wasn't he.

What did you make of Audiobooks?
I loved the sound, but I had issues with her vocals. 30% singing (which I liked), 30% bad Bjork impression, 30% Liam from Flowered Up, 10% Felicity Kendall.

Sorry for slow reply, haven't been about here for a bit.

Audiobooks were new to me and I had no idea what to make of them, which was the perfect reintroduction to live music, really. I liked the sounds the guy was making and was pretty captivated by the 'singer', trying to work out if her performance was art school schtick or if she is genuinely some sort of new outsider artist blazing a trail. I was enjoying the snippets of lyrics I was catching, although the huge Mark E Smith influence was pretty obvious. So I had a good time during their set, mainly through how bizarre and heroically 'uncool' their performance and sound were.

I tried their new album when I got home and thought it was shite.

Crabwalk

Quote from: non capisco on November 15, 2021, 12:31:06 AM
Happy to report I finally got to see Stereolab this evening and I didn't even have to run away and vomit everywhere before they came on because of a moody sandwich like last time. They were great and played all the things I'd hoped they would.

I am very glad to hear this.

The Mollusk

Quote from: imitationleather on November 06, 2021, 04:15:35 PM
I'm not going to New Order anymore because my mum fell over yesterday coming out of the pub and broke her ankle, nose and jaw. Standard Mum.

Fuckinell man, really sorry to hear this.

Spiteface

Thinking of going to see Mono in London next year, they're playing EartH the day after my birthday, so I'm going to look into that.

There's also Godspeed in Manchester in January, I'd like to do that one, too, although that will be more expensive.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Spiteface on November 17, 2021, 09:13:58 PM
Thinking of going to see Mono in London next year, they're playing EartH the day after my birthday, so I'm going to look into that.

If you've never been there before, EartH has a debatably shite and annoying layout. Basically a big seated amphitheater, no reserved seats so you risk ending up sat somewhere crap and on your own (if you're with friends). Also for a slow band like Mono there's less chance of the small standing space between the seats and the stage filling out with confused and antsy punters like what happened when I saw Deerhoof there.

Waking Life

Yo La Tengo at Royal Festival Hall last night and probably double figures now in seeing them live. Slightly quirky set list and I felt they emphasised the noise a lot more last night, turning Ohm into the heaviest I've heard it, stripping out the bass. And that was before the extended Blue Line Swinger serving as the feedback-laden indulgence piece. And great to get Moby Octopad, which I'd never heard them do live before.

Looking at Setlist, it's wholly remarkable how much they change up their gigs each night on their tour. It's almost wholesale change, with the exception of a few consistent drone tracks from their last album. I know their back catalogue very well, but their evolving track arrangements always keeps you on your toes. They went as far back as New Wave Hot Dogs last night and while it wasn't their strongest set list all in all, it was thoroughly entertaining.

Covers wise, there was Sun Ra, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (reminiscing when they played with Neil Innes back in 2000), and Ronnie Lane. Again, looking at the volume of different covers they've done in their 2021 tour alone is remarkable.

sevendaughters

saw the Weddoes last night in Chester. was mainly there for the support act (Serious Adults) who are pals of mine who have been threatening a proper band for 15 years now and finally have delivered the goods. the were a lot of fun, like a stand-up set that slowly accretes humour until the end you're smiling like a loon (though having a song about not wanting to rent a flat if someone has died it in will do that).

on the other hand the sound for the Weddoes was shite. they're touring Seamonsters so expecting big bright loud shiny guitars. they were really quiet and all i could hear was kick drum and bass. it got better 50-60 mins in but by that time I've pursued other entertainments (chatting).

dmillburn

I had been really looking forward to seeing Part Chimp in Brum yesterday but they cancelled after one of them came down with covid, pretty gutted after good reports from earlier tour dates. I've got tickets for Pigs x 7 this week but tempted to sack them off in favour of Yuko Araki on the same night, purely because as much as I love Pigs I have seen them a few times now and I reckon Yuko could be really good. 

Saturday is the Cosmic Carnage all-dayer in Cardiff, then it's Young Knives on the Monday so still plenty to look forward to. I've got a few things in for December too, including Snuff's rescheduled date. 

sevendaughters

seen Part Chimp twice, in their earlier days admittedly, but one of the UK's greatest rock experiences.

checkoutgirl

William Basinski and Dub Pistols both postponed to next year but black midi showed up last Tuesday and even brought a support act with them which I was impressed by. I think the support were called O, but I'm not sure, even after buying a teeshirt. They were a woman on drums and a bloke on sax, I'm so unfamiliar with black midi that I thought the support were part of the headline act just getting us warmed up.

Was a good laugh and somehow a couple of hundred mad fellas was enough for some crowd surfing and general buffoonery.

I have a ticket for Sasha/Digweed in the Button Factory on Sunday but with the new midnight shutdown rules in Ireland those types of things are being postponed but I haven't got an email about it yet, strange.

Got a ticket for Adam Buxton tonight which I luckily heard about from my sister at lunch yesterday. Would have missed it otherwise and I've never seen him live before.

The Mollusk

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 22, 2021, 11:26:33 AMseen Part Chimp twice, in their earlier days admittedly, but one of the UK's greatest rock experiences.

They're still fucking brilliant. Saw them a couple years back at Bristol Psych Fest, bizarrely my first time seeing them despite them being very local lads who play often and for cheap, and they tore the floor up with their riffs. I've heard their new album is meant to be ace as well.

I was tempted to go see them in Camden this Friday but it's looking super dicey now if one of them's got the vid. Happy to wait to catch them at Desertfest next year!

sardines

Le Guess Who a couple of weeks ago. Confirming my belief that it is the best festival out there by somehow managing to keep running as the Dutch government pissed around with COVID regulations.
There were a dozen International Anthem shows throughout the weekend each one demonstrating why every release on the label seems essential.

Thee Oh Sees last night. At this point I'd like to see a bad OhSees show. Dwyer seemed a bit irritated and distracted by something but this only seemed to add edge to his playing.

Sick now, obviously. But not the Vid.

shagatha crustie

Kelly Lee Owens last night. Some blistering bangers, especially in the second half, but for my money the set never got better than set opener 'Arpeggi,' which created a Powerful Sensation in my Brain and Body and made me feel oddly teary. Bit of a sedate crowd too - she seemed a bit pissed off that people weren't dancing more.

DrGreggles

Went to see Bad Manners last night and it was fucking ace.
Still one of the most entertaining live acts around.

Ticket booked for Grandaddy with orchestra performing The Sophtware Slump in full, next April

The Mollusk

My friend went to see Sleaford Mods at Printworks last night.

That's this band:

Performing here:

A 5,000 capacity fucking cavernous converted warehouse space that's host to some of the biggest and most awesomely-lit rave experiences in the city. I saw Aphex Twin there a couple years back. The place is insane.

I mean... I quite like Sleaford Mods and I'm glad they're doing well for themselves but that venue is not suited to representing their aesthetic at all. I burst out laughing when my pal told me that's where she was going. Made me think of that bit on The Day Today where they do a mockup of Question Time live at Wembley Arena.

Pauline Walnuts

I'm sure the 27 people in the front 5 rows got a good view.

sevendaughters

looks like a swarm heading for the tube exit

turnstyle

Firstly, I swear that's a level from Hitman 3, but also, that seems like a terrible place to 'see' any band. The fellas at the back would probably be closer to the band if they'd just stayed at home.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on December 03, 2021, 01:44:05 PMTicket booked for Grandaddy with orchestra performing The Sophtware Slump in full, next April

Ditto

non capisco

Ticket booked for my absolute faves Protomartyr in April. The song Worm In Heaven often makes me uncontrollably tearful so look out for me standing about being a massive melt if you're coming.

I think there are now weeks in April when I'm supposedly going to a gig every night.

DrGreggles

I need to check the rescheduled dates for loads of 2022 gigs, as I guarantee I'll have double booked myself for at least one of them.

peanutbutter

Quote from: turnstyle on December 03, 2021, 03:17:07 PMFirstly, I swear that's a level from Hitman 3, but also, that seems like a terrible place to 'see' any band. The fellas at the back would probably be closer to the band if they'd just stayed at home.
I've enjoyed the venue when I was there, the fact it's so long and narrow kind of killed off the notion that being at the front mattered in the slightest. Really the best place to be is quite a bit back so you can see all the lights and shit.
Seriously doubt Sleaford Mods would make much use of the venues strengths though.

Anyone been to the Drumsheds?

chutnut

The Residents has been cancelled (well postponed for at least a year), massive bummer.
Need to keep an eye out for other things as I've been missing going out a lot recently, but looking at ticket prices nowadays I don't think I'll be going to much either way! In my head I'm still living in a world where it costs about a tenner to go see pretty much anyone lol

Quote from: chutnut on December 10, 2021, 10:23:19 AMThe Residents has been cancelled (well postponed for at least a year), massive bummer.
Oh for fuck's sake, first Faust and now this - two bands I've loved for ages but never managed to see live.  That's it, I'm never buying another advance ticket again.

flotemysost

Quote from: chutnut on December 10, 2021, 10:23:19 AMThe Residents has been cancelled (well postponed for at least a year), massive bummer.

Ah no :(

Someone I know is due to play a relatively large (500+ capacity) venue in London next week and they're feeling incredibly anxious about it because of COVID (completely understandably - it was originally scheduled way pre-'cron, obviously), but if they pulled out now they'd essentially have to cover the entire cost of the venue hire and other expenses out of their own pocket, which they can't afford. I'm guessing there must be a few artists in that situation at the moment.

peanutbutter

We're surely on the verge of a ton of gigs being cancelled? I see a ton of tickets for the Little Simz shows this weekend going massively below asking price. Gary Barlow too, although they're somehow still horrifically expensive.

I've a ticket for Stewart Lee next week, probably shouldn't go but I'd be kinda curious. If it somehow does go ahead (it's probably already cancelled, haven't checked in a while) it'd be the most intimate show he's done in years.

peanutbutter

Little Simz tickets this weekend now going for a fiver, think the first show is on tonight so she's probably trapped doing these. Super curious to see how poorly attended tonights show is.

Seeing some more shows getting postponed/cancelled now though.

flotemysost

Has anyone else had trouble getting refunds for cancellations? Been trying to sort out the cancelled Faith No More gig, but bloody TicketMaster will only refund the same card it was originally booked on, which isn't much use when you're an idiot who managed to lose your debit card the first time you went to the pub in 2021 (or indeed anyone whose card happened to expire in the last couple of years).

I obviously don't remotely begrudge any artist cancelling gigs under the current circumstances, it's just a bit gutting to know that money's probably gonna end up lining the coffers of some fat cat at o2 (my mate who was going to come with me has had a precarious time at work, and could really do with the dosh). I normally try to book directly through the venue if possible, or Dice, but with o2 venues and the like it defaults to stupid TicketMaster.

non capisco

I think your bank should be able to give you the refund if the ticket agency are refusing to as purchases on any debit cards linked to your account should be insured. That's how I've got my money back when a couple of dodgy Barry Hogan's ATP debacles didn't end up happening and the bullshit ticket agency he'd pulled out of his arse suddenly disappeared out of existence, anyway.