Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:07:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tiger King 2

Started by paruses, November 19, 2021, 07:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Anyone?

Might start it tonight. Seems to have been zero buzz about it. Have they overstretched and there's no appetite for it outside of a lockdown? Apologies if I've missed a 70 page thread.

Small Man Big Horse

The only review I've seen was on The AV Club who stated: "Tiger King 2 is an uneven, pointless reminder of the start of the pandemic in the U.S. (when the show was binge-watched) and one of the country's most shameful incidents' in recent years. It's a ridiculous double whammy". So, yeah, unless I hear otherwise I'm not going to bother. https://www.avclub.com/tiger-king-2-is-the-least-vital-docuseries-in-years-1848082734

imitationleather

Remember Making a Murderer 2 and how about 50% of it was about Steven Avery's mum having a sore knee?

I imagine that's what this is like.

C_Larence

I'm 3 episodes in. After a first episode that focusses on Joe Exotic's past, and how people from the first season have reacted to life in the limelight, it then all becomes about whether Carole Baskin killed her ex husband. That wasn't something that interested me first time around so I'm pretty disappointed.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Does anyone really care about this guy's story that much? I remember watching the Louis Theroux follow up documentary this year (or was it last year?) and I was finding it difficult to even be arsed. I know he's a bad 'un, but you could get the entire story of him in about ten minutes. I find his hair more interesting than his story.

I wrote elsewhere

QuoteTiger King: Series 2 - *½
Would possibly have made an interesting hour long update but it's just so much nothing spread too thinly.

rue the polywhirl

Had it in the background for a couple of hours but mentally gave up after 20 minutes. Should have been a half hour special at most. Tiger Pauper.

peanutbutter

Kinda intrigued by just how bad the second NXIVM season will be, the first felt extremely padded out as it was.

Icehaven

A few episodes in and it's feeling padded and stretched, as others have said. I think they were hoping there'd be more material from Exotic's appeal but there wasn't, so it goes on about Baskin's husband which no one gives a fuck about, so it's all a bit of a damp squib.

MojoJojo

I guess after the hype it's not surprising this got made even though there was no material.

Bit disappointing they're digging over the Baskin stuff again. After years of being accused of murder by some nut on local TV, a high profile international station has taken up the mantle no Joe's in prison.

up_the_hampipe

Did anyone really want a second season of this? It's the same mistake Making A Murderer made. People wanted updates on the situation but not a whole new season, it feels like going back to the start.

They struggle to make compelling sequels to popular films, where you can literally make up the whole story. So following up on a documentary with so much madness packed into it, the bar is way too high.

Goldentony

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 20, 2021, 03:59:44 PMDid anyone really want a second season of this?

funko pop fellers

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

I think you'll find the Panzer VIB was usually referred to as either the Tiger 2 or the King Tiger. I for one shan't be watching this new History Channel documentary.

imitationleather

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 20, 2021, 03:59:44 PMDid anyone really want a second season of this? It's the same mistake Making A Murderer made. People wanted updates on the situation but not a whole new season, it feels like going back to the start.

They struggle to make compelling sequels to popular films, where you can literally make up the whole story. So following up on a documentary with so much madness packed into it, the bar is way too high.

It's also making the same mistake as Making a Murderer in that it's such a poor distortion of the truth that the people making it are going to get sued and never be able to work in documentaries again.

Steven Avery so, so obviously did it, and they edited the show to make it look like he was fitted up so someone would pay them to broadcast it and make the years they'd spent following a not-very-interesting killer around worth it. I rewatched Making a Murderer 1 recently and with hindsight it's clear what a clusterfuck and rip-off of The Staircase the entire thing is.

Joe Exotic is similar. Okay, he's not a murderer, but he's an animal-abusing cunt who does not deserve the hero status he gained last year.

Custard

Maybe a genuinely interesting follow up could have been done in a few years time, once you know, some stuff had happened, but as it is this seems like very thin soup.

But of course Netflix is trying to catch lightning in a bottle, just a year or so later. Resorting to wondering whether Baskin offed her husband, again, is quite funny, cos it clearly shows just how desperate they are

Replies From View

Brendan Dassey, though.  There's no way any of his confession should be taken at face value.