Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'What Happened, Miss Simone?' - Excellent Nina Simone Doc, Now On Netflix

Started by Dr Rock, November 20, 2021, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

QuoteThis Oscar-nominated portrait of a controversial icon won an Emmy for Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special.

I mentioned this on the whats good on Netflix now thread, but it was so powerful it's been staying with me for days. If you love Miss Simone, as I assume you do, this 2015 bio, using never-before-heard recordings, rare archival footage, and covering her horrifically abusive marriage and her passionate support for the civil rights movement, and her eventual escape from a country that seemingly wanted to kill all her kind. Unmissable.

The Mollusk

holyzombiejesus

Funny you should mention this as it's been up for ages but I only watched it last Saturday and just a few minutes ago urged my wife to put it on. It's so great. I really love her music and often kick myself for not seeing her live at Nick Cave's Meltdown.

That husband of hers is such a vile human being and Al Shackman seems like the total opposite, just the sweetest (and most ludicrously talented) man.

Was listening to this on my ipod on the way to the football yesterday. I only have it because of one of those Mississippi Records compilations and I don't really know anything about it, but it's ace.

SpiderChrist