Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead World Beyond S2

Started by Malcy, October 06, 2021, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

This started back and I didn't even realise. First half was good enough I was quite in to it then I just tuned out. Toward the end of the episode they mentioned two of the other main characters and I had forgot they existed.

I think this, Fear and TWD will all be airing an episode every week which I don't think has happened before so I reckon their might be a connection.

Spoiler alert
Jadis who was last seen in the helicopter with Rick is appearing
[close]
and they've hinted at other stuff.

Sticking with it as it's a 2 and done and I can't be arsed with the main show anymore. Fear has been really good recently though.

Jack Shaftoe

I was surprised how much I enjoyed World Beyond S1 seeing as it's bog standard YA fare with every character emoting EVERY THOUGHT AND FEELING the moment they have them and some of the acting's terrible. And yet, for some reason, I really got into it. Maybe I just liked the sense the characters at least had a clearish aim with a lovely post-apocalyptic ramble through all the stuff I like to see in zombie movies.

kngen

Am very much enjoying
Spoiler alert
Strand stoatin' about like Benito Mussolini with his wee bunnet on in the new eps of FTWD
[close]
. Makes me laugh every time he pops up on screen. Just started World Beyond S1 as there's been hints that all facets of the TWD EU are going to tie together at some point so I'm going to plough through it and give them some major leeway on the horrific exposition-laden dialogue, and am already wondering if
Spoiler alert
Strand's project is going to join (or battle it out) with the Civic Republic or whatever it's called
[close]
. (It's too late in the timeline for it to be the start of it, isn't it?)

Malcy

Quote from: kngen on November 01, 2021, 10:56:44 PM
Am very much enjoying
Spoiler alert
Strand stoatin' about like Benito Mussolini with his wee bunnet on in the new eps of FTWD
[close]
. Makes me laugh every time he pops up on screen. Just started World Beyond S1 as there's been hints that all facets of the TWD EU are going to tie together at some point so I'm going to plough through it and give them some major leeway on the horrific exposition-laden dialogue, and am already wondering if
Spoiler alert
Strand's project is going to join (or battle it out) with the Civic Republic or whatever it's called
[close]
. (It's too late in the timeline for it to be the start of it, isn't it?)

I'm struggling to figure out where shows are in the timeline. A comment in this weeks made it seem like Rick leaving TWD was only 4 years after it started.

Found this to be an improvement on last series. Only 4 episodes left to wrap it up and hoping they get on with it and don't leave stuff hanging to be picked up in an episode of Tales From The Walking Dead or whatever it's called.

The Civic Republic seem like a right nasty bunch. I still reckon Rick is going to turn up at the end of this as a lead in to those films and wouldn't be surprised if a FTWD character turns up as well.

kngen

Managed to blitz through most of World Beyond in the last couple of days (much easier when you just skip the meaningful glances and stilted conversations between mopey teenagers. You don't really have to worry about missing plot points as they'll be hammered home at least four or five times an episode). But, I agree, it IS a surprisingly good watch nonetheless. Despite the plot holes and fairly poor dialogue, it's a good yarn, with an arc, and earned emotion in parts, something that has been missing from TWD for Christ knows how long. How can the show that spawned the spin-offs, have the biggest budget and arguably strongest production values be the least interesting of the franchise? That's a remarkable achievement.

Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia, but I get a really strong vibe from the Civic Republic that reminds me of the Federation in Blake's 7. Obviously, the latter could never claim to have exclusivity over the concept of black uniformed faceless stormtroopers overseen by a fascist matriarch, but there's something about that whole setup that really reminds of Blake's 7 that I can't put my finger on. (It might just be soldiers all in black with space guns walking about in forests, tbh).

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's good except for the formulaic characters, the clumsy dialogs, the problematic pacing, the terrible acting (Annet Mahendru being the worst offender, while she seemed good in The Americans, this week's episode being particularly bad in that regard), and the fact that it tries to inject some huge conspiracy into the Walking Dead universe (which had never been the focus of the main plot).

kngen

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 08, 2021, 07:22:58 PM
It's good except for the formulaic characters, the clumsy dialogs, the problematic pacing, the terrible acting  while she seemed good in The Americans, this week's episode being particularly bad in that regard), and the fact that it tries to inject some huge conspiracy into the Walking Dead universe (which had never been the focus of the main plot).

It's like a Children's Film Foundation film, but with zombies and cold war paranoia. And it's still better than the main series.

And, just to give succour to my incredibly tenuous Blake's 7 comparison, I see Servalan has turned up
Spoiler alert
(except it's that bloody Jadis from the stupid rubbish tip people).
[close]

QuoteAnnet Mahendru being the worst offender

Yeah, fucking hell, she has a real habit of stinking the place up, out of the blue, with just one line. Wildly inconsistent.

Malcy

Thought this week's was great. It's really ramping up and you just know they're going to go through hell before it ends.

Think I've even been enjoying this more than Fear at the moment. Fear still my favourite of the 3 but it's just been really grim recently and upsetting at times too.

The only other thing I've seen Annet Mahendru in was The X-Files when it came back. Acts with her face a lot, a lot of tongue poking about the mouth stuff going in this at times but don't think she's awful.

kngen

WB: Scenes of genuine tension, and me going, 'Fuck, what's going to happen now?' It's remarkable how much more engaging that is than having zombies lurch out of the shadows to break up stand-offs or give the goodies a chance to escape (although there's a wee bit of that, too, it's not the deus ex machina that TWD has relied on so heavily for years now. I've said it a million times, but the woods round here are identical to those in the TWD universe, and some scenes have even been filmed here, particularly in World Beyond. You can hear a squirrel rustling about in the dried leaves from 100 fucking feet away. You'd need to be wearing noise-cancelling headphones to somehow let a walker get anywhere near you.)

Fear: I can't believe I spent my childhood terrified of nuclear war when, apparently, duck and cover is actually a failsafe strategy, and you can ward off radiation with a plastic mac and some pills. Has there been any attempt at making sense of this from even a vaguely scientific POV by the show's writers anywhere? It seems entirely implausible. Still hugely entertained by Il Stranduce though. 

Malcy

Quite disappointed that this ends next week and was hoping they would put the last 2 episodes out on the same day like they did last time. Some really solid stuff this time and enjoying it far more than Fear which seems a bit all over the place this series. Jadis is a right nasty piece of work and I don't remember her being like that in TWD. I suppose that's down to the influence of the CRM.

Spoiler alert
As soon as Iris & Percy had their little chat about plans for the future the alarm bells started ringing. I expected heavier casualties this week but reckon there will be some more in the final episode.

I reckon Huck will sacrifice herself to save the others and probably take Jadis out at the same time while blowing up the gas. I wonder will Major General Beale be revealed before the end. If he hadn't had the son then I would have fully expected Rick to turn up under a new name. I still wonder if he will turn up.
[close]

Hope that we see these characters again in the next show.

Malcy

Quote from: Malcy on November 21, 2021, 12:24:53 PMQuite disappointed that this ends next week and was hoping they would put the last 2 episodes out on the same day like they did last time. Some really solid stuff this time and enjoying it far more than Fear which seems a bit all over the place this series. Jadis is a right nasty piece of work and I don't remember her being like that in TWD. I suppose that's down to the influence of the CRM.

Spoiler alert
As soon as Iris & Percy had their little chat about plans for the future the alarm bells started ringing. I expected heavier casualties this week but reckon there will be some more in the final episode.

I reckon Huck will sacrifice herself to save the others and probably take Jadis out at the same time while blowing up the gas. I wonder will Major General Beale be revealed before the end. If he hadn't had the son then I would have fully expected Rick to turn up under a new name. I still wonder if he will turn up.
[close]

Hope that we see these characters again in the next show.

And where is Huck's mum? She's been missing for a bit.

Malcy

Great finale, tied up a lot of the story with still leaving a lot of potential for it to be revisited in the Tales from The Walking Dead.

Spoiler alert
I was right about Huck sacrificing herself. A bit disappointed that Jadis didn't go out with her but at the same time I think Jadis has been a great villain in this so hopefully we see her again.

We still don't know what an 'A' or a 'B' is. The former seems to be who will be experimented on.

I thought Silas was done for when he was talking to Jadis but I reckon he will be key in what will probably be the eventual collapse of the CRM as it is now.

Screamed when Elton got bit and genuinely thought he had died when Asha appeared and said "It's Elton".

Some great fight scenes between Felix & Newton and Huck & Jadis.

The end credits scene was interesting. Hope we get a series or episode in French from that. Surprised by the appearance of Dr Jenner. I'd struggle to remember most of the early TWD characters but recognised him straight away. I wonder who the other Dr Jenner is.

Looks like France has some 28 Days Later zombies to deal with.
[close]

Shame it has finished, would have happily watched another series of it. Shaky start but really came into it's own. Good characters and genuinely tense and leaving you wanting more especially in the second series.

Now I'm off to watch Fear to see what misery it has in store this week.

kngen

Quote from: Malcy on November 28, 2021, 12:32:32 PM
Spoiler alert

The end credits scene was interesting. Hope we get a series or episode in French from that. Surprised by the appearance of Dr Jenner. I'd struggle to remember most of the early TWD characters but recognised him straight away. I wonder who the other Dr Jenner is.

Looks like France has some 28 Days Later zombies to deal with.
[close]

Would have missed that if you'd not pointed out. Cheers. AMC Plus have really excelled themselves by fucking up those post-credits bits. You get the end of the show, then a preview of next week (which I always try and skip), then a 'Extended look inside this episode' which is just a chat with some producer or other over Zoom, THEN a post-credit scene if there is one. So when
Spoiler alert
Jadis
[close]
turned up, they'd already given the game away in the next week's preview bit, leaving me wondering if I'd missed an episode. It wasn't until I realised that I had to FF through 10 mins of shite, that I saw her 'surprise post-credits appearance'. Well done, AMC *slow clap*.

Agreed that some
Spoiler alert
28 Days Later French zombies
[close]
would spice things up a bit, Romero's rules be damned!

Malcy

Quote from: kngen on November 30, 2021, 11:18:55 PMSo when
Spoiler
turned up, they'd already given the game away in the next week's preview bit, leaving me wondering if I'd missed an episode.

I did the same. Probably missed a few scenes over the series.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's a good thing that they used women as the main villains, because this way, when they delivered their monologues, they had no opportunity to twirl a moustache.