Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Morris of The Bluetones

Started by PaulTMA, November 17, 2021, 11:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicory

Quote from: Kankurette on November 19, 2021, 09:15:57 PMAre there any male '90s Britpop musicians who aren't complete cunts/skeevy about women? (I'd include Space, but Jamie shagged fans and bragged about it, and was also pretty racist.)

I think we've underestimated how 'right-on' white Britpop men who were born in the late 60s/early 70s really are.  Sure, they're (mostly) anti Tory, anti racist, anti homophobia and all the things we expect a normal person to be like now.  But not treating women like dirt?  Well... it's a disappointment as old as time.

PaulTMA

What were examples of the Space bloke being racist?

jobotic

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 19, 2021, 08:27:05 PMForgot about that.  It was considered a draw but here he is bleeding like a pig

Didn't know there was such a rivalry between V/VM and Happy Mondays.

Kankurette

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 20, 2021, 04:03:15 PMWhat were examples of the Space bloke being racist?
Off the top of my head, calling someone a black bastard at my first gig in 1998. And more recently saying he'd spit on every Muslim.

Franny also continues to insist that Suarez did nothing wrong and Evra is a 'lying cunt with a history of shithousery'.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There's currently around 1.8 billion Muslims in the world. He should get cracking if he wants to spit on them all.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 20, 2021, 04:03:15 PMWhat were examples of the Space bloke being racist?

He did say everyone 'down the East Lanks road is a bad wool'.

Oh, wait, looks like someone else has err... answered that one.

Kankurette

This is also hearsay, but someone who vaguely knew Jamie said he was really disgusting to a girl as well, calling her a fucking Muslim or something. I can't remember the exact words. Jamie was an odd fellow. One of those guys who's very insecure and covers it up by playing the hard man. He's on antidepressants, a mate of mine (the bloke behind the Ian Duncan Smiths, who's a big Space fan) gave him some Sertraline once.

And the current bass player is a huge fan of Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson. Which isn't quite as vile as Mark Morriss' behaviour but it's certainly not very pleasant to deal with when you're a fan who hates both those people and you get sent a massive rambling diatribe about it in your DMs. He also made a really awful post a while back when he was drunk, about how women aren't real music fans and are just along for the ride, and loads of female fans and musicians alike had a go at him for it and fucking Franny backed him up. I'm not expecting Space to be 'woke' or whatever but I would appreciate them not looking down on a large number of their fans.

Noel Gallagher was apparently abusive to Meg as well.

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on November 20, 2021, 08:48:29 PMNoel Gallagher was apparently abusive to Meg as well.

The Mark Morriss accusation, particularly the specific detail of violence against his wife, has make me wonder if Liam "photographed grabbing a woman by the throat" Gallagher might get some kind of Britpop shame splashback.

Brundle-Fly

'hearsay'...'vaguely knew'...'apparently'... This is where with allegations like this you have to be careful.

Kankurette

I definitely did hear Jamie call someone a fucking black bastard. That much is true. As is the Franny and Phil stuff. It was all on Facebook, I used to be Facebook friends with them. Franny has blocked me so can't post the Evra tweet.

What the fuck happened with Liam?!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kankurette on November 21, 2021, 01:13:24 AMI definitely did hear Jamie call someone a fucking black bastard. That much is true. As is the Franny and Phil stuff. It was all on Facebook, I used to be Facebook friends with them. Franny has blocked me so can't post the Evra tweet.

They sound frightful. Never meet your heroes? Never meet your fans? Never meet anyone discussing anyone meeting their heroes or their fans? 

"All cunts out there!"

There's your banner, Neil? x

Kankurette

In the interests of balance, I should point out that Tommy Scott is lovely - he even looked after me when I had a panic attack in Birmingham a while back - and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him, Space fans or otherwise. I remember others on here had said similar. Jamie, Phil and Franny are utter cunts though.

(Just out of interest, has anyone on here met Morriss?)

rue the polywhirl

I met a guy who met a guy who knows a woman who met up with Morriss and the woman said he wasn't a very nice person at all and that so take of that what you will.

PaulTMA

Bunch of people I know have had Mark Morriss DJ for them and one of their pals had a thing with him.  Seems his shagger reputation hasn't been completely under wraps for years but the extent of what amounts to abuse seemingly was.

How have we come this far without Draper getting mentioned.  Surely he's getting the deluxe cancellation in time for his album coming out next year

Chicory

Make no mistake, my CD collection circa 1998 is getting steadily cancelled, jewel case by cracked jewel case.

The most shocking thing about all of this is that there are big fans of Space.

chabrol

Quote from: Kankurette on November 21, 2021, 12:35:29 PM(Just out of interest, has anyone on here met Morriss?)

He gave his number to an old acquaintance of mine at his concert. She would have been about nineteen at the time, and it would have been smack-bang in the middle of his marriage to the writer of this blog post- the years match up. Thought it was a bit odd at the time, but don't think she ever followed up on it. Lucky escape, I guess. 

Spiteface

Quote from: Kankurette on November 21, 2021, 01:13:24 AMI definitely did hear Jamie call someone a fucking black bastard. That much is true. As is the Franny and Phil stuff. It was all on Facebook, I used to be Facebook friends with them. Franny has blocked me so can't post the Evra tweet.

There's cctv footage of him and his partner, where he's clearly seen grabbing her by the throat.

Then there's sending threatening text messages to Anais, Noel's eldest, in response to some stuff Noel's wife said about Liam being a tribute act (where's the lie, though?).

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/03/liam-gallagher-sends-threatening-text-message-noels-daughter-anais-tell-step-mam-careful-10110226/

Yeah, he got off unscathed with this shit.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 20, 2021, 08:48:29 PMNoel Gallagher was apparently abusive to Meg as well.

First I've really heard of that. Not saying I don't believe it, but I'd never heard it before.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 21, 2021, 01:53:36 PMThe most shocking thing about all of this is that there are big fans of Space.
Oh boy, you have NO IDEA. We're not talking Manics fans but Space do have some pretty hardcore fans, I know one who was a borderline stalker. Tbf I think most groups of a reasonable size do, although the likes of the Manics or Tori Amos are more likely to attract weirdos.

Paul, Draper was one of the people I had in mind when I made that comment about Britpop cunts. The harassment of the singer from Estrons being an example.

SteveDave

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 19, 2021, 08:27:05 PMForgot about that.  It was considered a draw but here he is bleeding like a pig

PaulTMA

ProvanFan

purlieu

QuoteBut I feel that having this made public in the form of salacious tabloid articles and gossipy social media commentary is severely damaging for the people directly involved
QuoteI met Anna, a former journalist for The Daily Mail

Kankurette

When multiple women say you're an abusive piece of shit, maybe you're the one with the problem.

jonbob

Quote from: Chicory on November 21, 2021, 01:18:05 PMMake no mistake, my CD collection circa 1998 is getting steadily cancelled, jewel case by cracked jewel case.

Just be glad you weren't a black metal fan in the early 90s,i got rid of most of the cds from back then a long time ago

Kankurette

I will never stop laughing at the fact that Varg Vikernes made his own card game, like Magic: The Gathering with added racism.

Jockice

Quote from: phes on November 17, 2021, 06:28:41 PMOne of those guys who has a pretty fanatical fanbase. Fanatical

Indeed. I know one of them. I genuinely don't get it. I mean The Bluetones were okay, but she talks about him like he's some sort of underrated genius. Mind you, she's also a big fan of Neil Hannon...*

(*Not that I'm suggesting that he's any type of abuser. It's his music that I find offensive.)

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on March 03, 2022, 12:17:17 PMI will never stop laughing at the fact that Varg Vikernes made his own card game, like Magic: The Gathering with added racism.

Is this the same game that's an RPG with ludicrously extensive rules for swimming?

Menu

I still maintain that the Bluetones first album was one of the best from that period. Some beautiful songs on there. Couldn't get into their second one though and then just sort of gave up.