Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musicians appearing on comedy shows.

Started by Glebe, November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Musicians appearing on comedy shows... so I was gonna post these in the 'Comedy folks in music videos' thread but then I thought it's slightly difference so decided to start a new thread... even more so then that thread this has just as much right to be in Oscillations, but whatever.

Of course there have been loads of comedy shows throughout the years that have featured guest slots from musicians (everything from The Two Ronnies to SNL and The Young Ones), but obviously I'm really on about musicians 'joining in the fun' (though granted, Madness and like were kinda integrated into TYO's action).

So Morecambe & Wise were famous for mucking about with their musical guests, most famously with Andre Preview Previn of course, not to mention the likes of Shirley Bassey and Elton John (twice actually, in 1976 and '77).

Kenny Everett also featured several musical guests on ITV's The Kenny Everett Video Show, including David Bowie and Toyah... I think Freddie Mercury meeting Sid Snot is from The Kenny Everett Show, though?

Then there's George Harrison on his mate Eric Idle's Rutland Weekend Television.

I think John Cleese gave a witty introduction to John Williams (The Deer Hunter theme guitarist, not the film composer of course) when he appeared in 1979's The Secret Policeman's Ball, this only shows his performance and the full show has that annoying YT age verification thing. He appeared again ten years later in The Secret Policeman's Biggest Ball, here's a little clip of Jennifer Saunders hassling him (the full show is on YT, age verification shite again though).

Going back to Elton John, there's his Rowan Atkinson interview, Little Britain Comic Relief thing and Alan Partridge duet... staying with Partridge, Norfolk's finest has also interviewed Rodger Daltrey and Noel Gallagher, and done that Comic Relief with Brian Ferry (and Michael!)

That video also includes Alan's Kate Bush tribute (apparently Coogan wanted her to be part of it, but she gave him some really profound reason for not doing it or summit). As mentioned in the 'Comedy folks in music videos' thread, KB wrote and performed the score and theme tune to The Comic Strip Presents... episode 'GLC: The Carnage Continues...' before appearing in the episode 'Les Dogs'.

Sticking with Coogan, The Tony Ferrino Phenomenon featured Kim Wilde, Mick Hucknall and Gary Wilmot (who surely counts, being a big 'musicals' guy!). Hucknall of course featured in Knowing Me, Knowing Yule, while Wilde duet 'Short Term Affair' was revisited for Comic Relief '97, this time with Bjork.

Then there's Sting being interviewed by The Stotts on The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer, Jarvis Cocker on Da Ali G Show and, rather incredibly David Soul joining in on a cover of The Fall's 'Hit the North' on Frank Sidebottom's Proper Telly Show. Surely one of the most surreal TV moments ever. David Soul loving it ("This is the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life!"). Also Frank chatting to Soul here. Oh yeah, I'd not seen this before, but as posted by RHX in 'Comedy Folks in music videos', here's Mr. Sidebottom giving a statement on behalf of Aphex Twin.

How about my musical hero Frank Black on The Adam and Joe Show? And a video for FB and the Catholics' 'Dog Gone' featuring Adam's dad! Not to mention Frank joining Tim & Eric for Morning Prayer with Skott and Behr.

And rounding things off, there's the Harry and Paul's Story of the Twos parody of Later.. with Jeff Beck, Chrissie Hynde, Damon Albarn and Klaxon.

I've drained me memory banks there. Over to you!

KennyMonster

1993 was The year for mocking pre-Britpop Indie bands that no one can remember now.

https://youtu.be/HgWp5Ee8JGg

https://youtu.be/hYB4YlcRWOg

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Glebe on November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PMThen there's George Harrison on his mate Eric Idle's Rutland Weekend Television.

George of course also appeared in (and helped finance) Life of Brian (though obviously that's a film and not a show).

Ringo appeared alongside Lulu in the 3rd series of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Then of course you have the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band who were part of the Python forerunner show Do Not Adjust Your Set. And Neil Innes cropped up in various Python things (live shows and Holy Grail off the top of my head).

mjwilson

Spoiler alert
Sting
[close]
in Only Murders in the Building. (That's not really a spoiler but it's a fairly recent show so erring on the safe side.)

Also maybe it's a comedy-drama rather than a comedy, but pah.

Jittlebags

Peter Gabriel on his Segway in the Brian Pern thing.

Lemmy, Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler and Dave Gilmour in the only French and Saunders sketch I ever actually liked:

JesusAndYourBush

^ I was thinking of that one, was gonna post it myself before I got to your post!

Glebe

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 21, 2021, 01:40:16 PMRingo appeared alongside Lulu in the 3rd series of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Completely forgot about that, Lulu is one thing but Ringo in Flying Circus is mad (and not a musician but Jimmy Hill was also a surprise).

Then there's Lennon on Not Only... But Also:

Deaf Ted, Danoota, and Me.

About the Awful.

Gentlemen's toilet sketch.

bigfatheart

Anthrax and Chuck D both show up on episodes of NewsRadio (not the same episode, although considering their history together, it wouldn't have been inconceivable).

Loads on the Larry Sanders Show - Warren Zevon is the first to spring to mind, but there's plenty to choose from.

Elvis Costello is in a late-period episode of Frasier. It's not a high point for anyone.

DrGreggles

Tom Petty in It's Garry Shandling's Show.

Glebe

Quote from: bigfatheart on November 21, 2021, 03:12:38 PMAnthrax and Chuck D both show up on episodes of NewsRadio (not the same episode, although considering

You've jogged my memory BFH, here's Anthrax on Married... with Children.

Of course The Simpsons is another blindingly obvious musician guest appearance show, but that would need it's own thread.

phantom_power

Man of the hour Mark Morriss and some of his bandmates appeared in an episode of Spaced

KennyMonster

Quote from: phantom_power on November 21, 2021, 04:25:25 PMMan of the hour Mark Morriss and some of his bandmates appeared in an episode of Spaced

When was this?

Don't recall it at all.

McChesney Duntz

Possibly too Canuck-obscure for most of the room, but Nova Scotia pop adepts Sloan appeared on an episode of surreal Canadian sitcom Twitch City as an oddly cheerful group of neo-Nazis.

letsgobrian

Kid Cudi as band leader, and thus also a regular sketch performer, in 20 episodes of Comedy Bang Bang.

Does Michael Bolton in Michael Bolton's Big, Sexy Valentine's Day Special count? Or does being a deliberate throw back to 70's musical variety sketch packages like The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and Pink Lady & Jeff discount it?

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on November 21, 2021, 04:25:25 PMMan of the hour Mark Morriss and some of his bandmates appeared in an episode of Spaced

Mark was in Little Britain too.

Andy147

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 21, 2021, 01:40:16 PMRingo appeared alongside Lulu in the 3rd series of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Quote from Michael Palin in The First 200 Years of Monty Python:
"Ringo was the most extroverted of the Beatles, other than Lennon - he's just that sort of guy. He'll do anything that's a bit silly and mad ... Graham got to know him, and asked him along.

God knows where we got Lulu."

Ringo was also one of the first guest voices to play themselves on The Simpsons (in Brush With Greatness) - another singer, Tony Bennett, was the very first (in Dancin' Homer). Obviously there have been loads of others since.

chutnut

Portlandia must have had loads but the only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Aimee Mann and J Mascis

BeardFaceMan

Josh Homme was in Comedy Bang Bang and Toast Of London.

Didn't The Fast Show used to do some gags with bands, wasn't there one with Level 42?

Pranet

Hugh Cornwell from off of the Stranglers had a small part in one of the Comic Strip films.

Mark E Smith was on the People V Jerry Sadowitz.

chutnut

Maynard James Keenan and Wayne Coyne in Comedy Bang Bang too

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 21, 2021, 05:22:01 PMDidn't The Fast Show used to do some gags with bands, wasn't there one with Level 42?

yeah, and Mark King was in Brian Pern and part of the live show when I saw it

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: chutnut on November 21, 2021, 05:10:10 PMPortlandia must have had loads but the only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Aimee Mann and J Mascis

They had a bunch, definitely. A list of some of them: https://junkee.com/best-musical-cameos-portlandia/152221

And that's not even mentioning Steve Jones in the "Brunch Village" episode.

Pranet

I've got a memory of watching a recording of a Jasper Carrott live gig where a load of Birmingham musicians turn up at the end and they do a song with him, people like Tony Iommi and school mate Ben Bevan, if that counts.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: chutnut on November 21, 2021, 05:37:08 PMMaynard James Keenan and Wayne Coyne in Comedy Bang Bang too

He was doing stuff with them as far back as Mr Show too, he was in the original Ronnie Dobbs sketch. I believe it's where the band Puscifer made their first appearance (at least, in name).

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on November 21, 2021, 05:37:42 PMyeah, and Mark King was in Brian Pern and part of the live show when I saw it

They used to do a bit on Soccer AM where they'd say something like "that's some brilliant marking" and then show a clip of Mark King playing a little bass lick.

Jittlebags

Lemmy played Spider in Eat the Rich as well.

McChesney Duntz

The Larry Sanders Show has been mentioned, but it was mostly musicians playing themselves (and usually performing) - there were also one or two occasions where musicians played characters, like when Gary Kemp turned up as a potential new sidekick/bandleader in one episode. (But Kemp's as known as an actor as he is a musician, isn't he?)

markburgle

Josh Homme in Portlandia as a Disappointing Gay:

https://youtu.be/kbf_nFtA8YQ

Always thought the customer in this one was Dave Grohl. They might as well have gone back in time to the 90's and used a young him, would've been the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d545PS_AkOw

And then obligatory Not A Show but I was impressed by Jack White as Elvis in Walk Hard. For any musician to play the King is a ballsy move but then to be so funny with it... mad respec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Mx9yz6wFE