Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix live-action remake)

Started by Mister Six, October 19, 2021, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

They got Faye right (in that I really fancy her)

MojoJojo

Oh I dunno - I just watched the fourth one and enjoyed it. Faye joining the gang. I think there is good chemistry between the crew. There's humour - nothing laugh out loud, it's not a comedy - but it's a lot warmer than the anime. Faye is probably my favourite of the crew at the moment, genuinely fun to watch.

I also watched the timestamps, and I just don't see the bad CGI. Yeah, some of the shots aren't great but it's more a direction thing.

Lucky me, I get to enjoy it!

Sonny_Jim

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, I watched the anime about 2 weeks ago for the first time then started watching the the remake this week.

I thought it was fine, good fun to watch.  Jet and Spike are both on the money, tonally it seems to get most of it right.

Agree with the sentiment that the guy who plays vicious is either shit or poorly directed.  It might just be that the original character was always a bit shit and they didn't update it properly.

In my opinion the original is pretty shonky in places and this remake has a hard time handling that.

C_Larence

I've been really enjoying this so far! Just finished episode 7, which has my favourite moment from the anime
Spoiler alert
Faye watching her old Betamax
[close]
and I think they did it as well as they possibly could have without making a totally 1:1 remake of the original.

Sonny_Jim

Tbh even though I watched the anime recently I was having a hard time spotting the difference.  Some of it seems shot-for-shot, the big thing I noticed was during the introduction of EIN, I seem to remember that there was more focus on him being super smart/genetically engineered.

Also noticed the whole eco warriors/let us eat whales thing had been completely white washed, which was a shame if not predictable.  They kept in the Unabomber, why cut out green peace?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's a small thing perhaps, but I can't help feeling cynical about the inclusion of the various villains of the week in the opening credits. It doesn't mean anything to new viewers, so it strikes me as a ploy to keep fans of the original interested.

"Look! It's Mad Pierrot. Remember that episode? It was awesome, right? Well keep watching, because he's in this at some point."

I don't know. I watched the whole thing (albeit while browsing on my phone), so it obviously wasn't unbearable, but I can't think of a good reason to watch it when the original is right there. I don't want to act like it's some holy text, but all the changes made here just seemed to be for the worse. Giving the dognapper a sympathetic motive was an interesting wrinkle, but it just means Ein Joining the Bebob crew is a dumb coincidence. Etc...

Mister Six

This is fun - someone edited a scene from Cowboy Bebop to make it into Seinfeld...

https://vimeo.com/648384574

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on November 23, 2021, 04:16:45 AMThis is fun - someone edited a scene from Cowboy Bebop to make it into Seinfeld...

https://vimeo.com/648384574

I saw the unedited version of that scene before this, and it immediately made me think "This might have worked as a Seinfeld conversation somehow, but everything about it here feels embarrassing"

MojoJojo

Number one on US netflix for a few days now.

The fifth episode was a bit naff. Starts with a nice flashback, but then Jet's storyline is just a bit dull with an obvious twist. Spike and Faye's stuff is hampered by the script. The actors do a good job but whenever it gets going a terrible line brings it to a halt. It's not all bad, and thankfully the consensus is this is the worst episode, except possibly the end ending.

The next episode was properly good. First mention of Radical Edward. Some good action nicely balanced with a character stuff.

If they could just sort the script out this would be properly good.

MojoJojo

Finished it. Overall I enjoyed it, and hope there is another season with better dialogue.

It's a strange adaption. It's not like the City Watch adaption, where they just copied the character names - they've done a really good job of of making it look like the anime, the characters are mostly recognisable as versions of their anime counterparts, and a lot of the episode plots are adapted from the anime episodes. But overall it feels very different.

I guess the obvious differences is the crew have a team/proto-family thing develop, rather than being emotionally distant co-workers, it doesn't do all the homages to western genres the anime does and it spends a lot more time on the over-arcing season plot than the anime does.

It's a lot more generic show than the anime was, but enjoyable anyway.

Mister Six

The Bebop crew in the anime were a family - Jet as the dad and Spike and Faye as the bickering kids.

(And Ed as the cat.)

MojoJojo

Yeaaas, but there's not much affection there, at least from what I remember. Whereas in the LA they buy presents for each other, do nice things, and don't just bicker. The anime they felt like people who worked together, in the LA they feel like people who live together.

Maybe I'm just misremembering the anime, I'm thinking about rewatching it.

Do it. It'll be interesting to see how it affects your opinion of both versions.

bgmnts

I rewatched it all a few days ago and it actually made me not want to watch this love action version, won't lie.

I didn't know The Human League had anything to do with it.

Mister Six

Sonny_Jim

Not really surprised tbh.  They never spent enough on it and also never got the audience it deserved.  It wasn't bad but at the same time suffered badly from fanboys giving it the 'they changed a thing and I hate all of it now'

H-O-W-L

Alberon

I watched the first two then completely gave up as it didn't interest me at all.

Shame really, but the spark wasn't there.

MojoJojo

Awww, a bit disappointed. Admittedly, I was hoping a second season could fix the problems in the first, but still a shame.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 10, 2021, 02:24:41 AMIt wasn't bad but at the same time suffered badly from fanboys giving it the 'they changed a thing and I hate all of it now'
It was quite bad, to be fair.

Sonny_Jim

To be fair to myself (for a change), I stopped watching it because I found the actor who plays Vicious to be fucking dogshit, so you might be right.

I watched the anime with subtitles, so I don't know if that's how the English voice actor played it.  Or it might be that the guy did a shit job.

H-O-W-L

Clocking it up to fanboys is very unfair, it looked very shit even to me and I've never seen the original (mine was a Ghost in the Shell household -- the Major, phwoaarr!) series nor do I intend to soon, though when I get around to me Bebop it'll be the original for sure.

I don't see the point of adaptations like this where they stay so close to the knuckle to piss off the fans but also not enough to also piss off the fans. Why not completely reinterpret the world and format? Why keep all the costumes, world building etc the same and change just 0.1% enough of it to fuck everyone involved off? There's no way you can surpass the original by doing that, only be as-good, which is... a bad aspiration, surely?

Also Spike's costume looks like shit cosplay. Really, really bad. Completely ill-fitting and not in the way the original is. It looks like he's wearing a foam novelty Spike Spiegel costume.

mothman

Cue yet another hundred articles all about the imminent bursting of the Netflix bubble, spending millions on expensive genre adaptations (which are meant to have audience base baked in) like this and Jupiter's Legacy, and losing the big draws (Friends etc.) that built their audience to begin with, while bought-in foreign properties become their big hits but come with the same drawbacks.

Mister Six

I don't watch past episode 1, but this breakdown of what's lacking politically in the live-action version sounds convincing: https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469265094479650816?t=K-7mcxdtraDAaJTLSfWvAA&s=07

I had similar thoughts, but the shows main problem is really just that it's a bit naff.