Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why is Home and Away so called?

Started by Virgo76, November 23, 2021, 06:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Okay. The people on Neighbours are all neighbours. I get that. And everyone on Sons and Daughters was...the son and daughter of someone. The Young Doctors were young. The Flying Doctors flew.
Buy why Home and Away? It sounds like a sporting term.
Any ideas?
The lyrics of the theme tune don't really seem to help.

Twit 2

Australians can't read so a seagull picked the title for them, out of a bucket.

Virgo76

Alternative names for Home and Away which were apparently seriously considered include: Mad About The Bay, Neighbours II, Some Sons and Daughters Do 'Ave 'Em, Angel Falls, Mad Max Goes On Holiday and Ray Meagher's Pension Plan.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 23, 2021, 06:52:22 AMOkay. The people on Neighbours are all neighbours. I get that. And everyone on Sons and Daughters was...the son and daughter of someone. The Young Doctors were young. The Flying Doctors flew.
Buy why Home and Away? It sounds like a sporting term.
Any ideas?
The lyrics of the theme tune don't really seem to help.

It's because some of the scenes take place when the characters are at home and some of them take place when the characters are away from home. At somebody else's home or at the beach or at school or the diner where they all go. Thus "home" and "away".

amateur

I assumed it was a football reference. It's about football, right?

druss

Because it rhymes with "Closer each day".

bigfatheart

Wikipedia reckons its cus the original premise was about a foster home opening in a cosy community where most of the residents were opposed to it, so for the residents it was 'home' and for the foster kids it was 'away'. I've never watched an episode of it so I've no idea if this is something everyone knew or not.

Dr Rock

It's a clever wordplay - if you rearrange the letters of 'home and away you get 'nywameahoad'- the fictional own they all live in.

Ray Travez

non capisco

I remember there was once a teenage boy character called 'Tug' in it. The amount of wanking he must have done to stand out from the other teenage boys of Summer Bay and acquire that nickname doesn't bear thinking about. Like being an old man and all the other old men call you 'Wrinkles'.

evilcommiedictator

It is a clever satire about the Australian housing system, in that where the show is shot, it is a place they all consider home, but none of the aspiring actors or crew could afford to live there, hence Home and Away

Mr Banlon

Ray Meagher, who plays Alf Stewart in Home and Away is also a renowned journalist :
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/23/bulgaria-bus-crash-latest-updates.html

Replies From View

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 23, 2021, 07:32:59 AMIt's because some of the scenes take place when the characters are at home and some of them take place when the characters are away from home. At somebody else's home or at the beach or at school or the diner where they all go. Thus "home" and "away".

It should be Home or Away unless they somehow always manage to do both at the same time.

Replies From View

Sonny_Jim

Replies From View

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 23, 2021, 07:08:52 AMAlternative names for Home and Away which were apparently seriously considered include: Mad About The Bay, Neighbours II, Some Sons and Daughters Do 'Ave 'Em, Angel Falls, Mad Max Goes On Holiday and Ray Meagher's Pension Plan.

I understood that Byker Grove was originally considered for Neighbours II, so Home and Away would have taken Neighbours III.

Replies From View

Whether staying at "home" or going "away", how is anyone attaining increased "closeness each day"?

And no they don't mean figurative or emotional closeness; don't be so stupid.

That lyric should be "same distance or miles off; home or away".

Replies From View

"Variable distance from their houses when they're not in... Home or Awaaaay"

dissolute ocelot

Wikipedia says it was originally to be called Refuge, after bands of mutant kangaroo started to terrorise the land and everyone was forced to take shelter in Pippa's house. Hence, closer each day. To death.

Replies From View

That's a lot better now I know that

It would also explain the usage of a conveyor belt into a furnace in the opening titles.

Mr Farenheit

A little off-topic but I once met a Scottish guy who'd emigrated to Australia and he raved about what he called the "Home and Away lifestyle"

Icehaven

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on November 25, 2021, 10:12:45 AMA little off-topic but I once met a Scottish guy who'd emigrated to Australia and he raved about what he called the "Home and Away lifestyle"

I like the idea that his life in Australia comprises of people having badly acted arguments in front of him while silent extras carry surfboards about in the background.
(Admittedly I haven't seen H&A in nearly 20 years but I can't imagine it's changed much.)

beanheadmcginty

Back in the 80s when the show started the Aussies were extremely phobic of the gays, so the title is an attempt at neuro-linguistic programming. Although your eyes read "Home and Away" your ears hear "homo no way".

Enzo

As far as I remember, the show was originally supposed to be a dramatic re-enactment of the forced closure of Carlton Athletic's  Home stadium 'The Valley' and their relocation to Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park.

This is also why Alan Curbishly was part of the original cast.

shoulders

Presume they did a crossover episode where Harold Bishop and Lou Carpenter invite Alf and "Other character here" for a Lemonparty

Alberon

It was called that because the two main characters at the start were Gertrude Home and Kenneth Away. Sadly after three episodes the actress playing Home was clinically diagnosed as lacking any discernible personality. A month later the actor playing Away was caught having sex with a bicycle and exiled to Tasmania's secret neighbouring island - Tasmanib.

Replies From View