Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Yeah Colin's probably my favourite of the semi regulars, his uncontrolled laughter is infectious.

Mobbd

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 02, 2021, 07:18:31 PM
Am I being shitty posting some of their Patreon stuff here? I figure about 5 people read this thread, so no harm done? Thoughts?

No, this is sweet of you. We're a small crowd and I for one chip in for their stuff every now and again. Plus, it's only news, not content. I guess you could paraphrase rather than quote in full if it bothers you so that it amounts to organic word of mouth rather than smuggling! I don't think Mike and Jay would mind anyway.

Excellent news about Colin. Will be great to have him back.

Mobbd

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on November 03, 2021, 12:17:29 PM
Yeah Colin's probably my favourite of the semi regulars, his uncontrolled laughter is infectious.

Johnnyboy!!

Custard

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 29, 2021, 11:35:24 PM
"Nice job! Congratulations"
Howard Stern

That really made me laugh, as I could easily imagine Stern saying that to that Andrea Miss Howard Stern. Film unseen, of course

Are the RLM commentaries "available" anywhere other than bandcamp?

Ascent

Quote from: Ascent on November 03, 2021, 02:24:14 PM
There are some highlight versions on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_N6FqScmAu8rzx7FM4pb2LRAYEHdEpqS

Cheers, Ascent - I had just been watching those, which made me wonder if there were full audio-only versions floating around anywhere. I find them hugely amusing.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 03, 2021, 01:38:31 PM
That really made me laugh, as I could easily imagine Stern saying that to that Andrea Miss Howard Stern. Film unseen, of course

At first, before we found out it was Howard Sterns wife, it sounded like the guy had rung in to his show and said "I've made a film" and Stern had replied "Nice job! Congratulations, so you rang in to talk about your seizure fetish?"

greenman

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 02, 2021, 10:58:37 PM
Ooh, that'll be good.
It really made me reappraise the Lynch version which I watched the fan edit of shortly after. Compared to the the new one, it's a feckin triumph!
Not to say that the new one is particularly bad, it's so damn safe and boring and ... nuffin.

I have vague memories of seeing that "Enemy Mine" as a kid.
It was like a weird anti racist thing or something? I picked it in the video shop because the cover looked cool and I was like "yas man, space, aliens, this is gonna be well wicked! Laser beams, spaceship fights" and it's not that, but I remember warming to it in the end.

I seem to remember some Lynch Dune comment from them before but can't remember whether it was that positive or negative, maybe just about the misplaced merch around it? Honestly I always found the Lynch one quite easy viewing which seems like it would be up their street. Tend to agree with you relative to the new one, Lynch's might not be perfect and might play around with the book alot but I think its still has something to it as a mystical journey in an interesting setting were as the new one really as you say just ended up rather dull for me when stuff wasnt blowing up or being eaten by a sandworm.

Enemy Mine should be quite fun to watch as I do think it holds up well enough whilst also having a good deal of cheese to it, it always felt more like an extended episode of some sci fi anthology series to me that ended up getting made into a film instead.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 03, 2021, 03:07:59 PM
At first, before we found out it was Howard Sterns wife, it sounded like the guy had rung in to his show and said "I've made a film" and Stern had replied "Nice job! Congratulations, so you rang in to talk about your seizure fetish?"

Unfortunately it's even more bleak than if she was Howard Stern's wife. She was "Miss Howard Stern" as in the winner of an (on air?) Howard Stern beauty pageant. There is 0.0000% chance Howard Stern has ever watched a single second of Dorm of the Dead.

Quote from: greenman on November 03, 2021, 03:24:44 PMit always felt more like an extended episode of some sci fi anthology series

Yeah, I was expecting cool special effects and spaceboat dogfights and aliens being elbowed right in the back, but they spent a lot of time sitting around having a nice cuppa and a chinwag, if I remember right. Not what I signed up for.

Quote from: convulsivespace on November 03, 2021, 05:57:45 PMUnfortunately it's even more bleak than if she was Howard Stern's wife. She was "Miss Howard Stern" as in the winner of an (on air?) Howard Stern beauty pageant.

Haha! Oh right, I must have heard "miss howard stern" and just assumed that meant "Mrs howard stern". Oh my lord. What a world.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Small Potatoes on November 03, 2021, 02:21:20 PM
Are the RLM commentaries "available" anywhere other than bandcamp?

The full commentaries are free to stream on the Bandcamp website. Well, I've certainly listened to all of them and not paid a penny. Or does this mean I've got a magic thieving phone?

JamesTC

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 08, 2021, 11:26:45 PM
The full commentaries are free to stream on the Bandcamp website. Well, I've certainly listened to all of them and not paid a penny. Or does this mean I've got a magic thieving phone?

It only lets you listen to a certain number in a certain space of time before saying you should purchase. You can just switch to another browser though.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: bgmnts on November 09, 2021, 07:27:13 PM
re:View of Enemy Mine. Pretty funny stupid joke in the first 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIemfjmIak&ab_channel=RedLetterMedia

Yeah, that was good. I've never even heard of Enemy Mine, which is weird because I would have been 8 or 9 when it came out and Star Wars obsessed.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have always thought Dennis Quaid resembled Harrison Ford. With a touch of Kurt Russell's persona for good measure.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, he's not quite handsome or rogueish enough to be one or the other, but I've always enjoyed him.

Goldentony

that mime joke is unbelievable, pissing myself at the pause, the music sounds like Moments In Love or something

DrGreggles

Kelvin

Quote from: Goldentony on November 09, 2021, 10:55:16 PM
that mime joke is unbelievable, pissing myself at the pause, the music sounds like Moments In Love or something

The on-going references to his dementia were what really made me laugh. Just leaning right into it.

Exposition

I found it really boring, and half an hour would have been more than enough, I think.
Sometimes they'd cut away to rich and he'd be doing this pouty half smile thing and look just like Mark Proksch as Decker - https://youtu.be/fc8UUAk_6lA?t=295

There's a lovely bit where he goes to do his normal cuntlaugh thing but his heart isn't in it, so he stifles it and puts his hand to his mouth and it comes across as a really coquettish, flirty dame in a western "oh fiddle de-dee!". That was a nice moment :D

GoblinAhFuckScary

rich looks OLD. the others less so. how is this

GoblinAhFuckScary

QDRPHNC

Finally finished Midnight Mass and so caught up with RLM's discussion on it. I was actually amazed at how effusive they were about it and how dismissive of much of the (justified, in my opinion) criticism. Rather than go into here though, might make a dedicated MM thread later.

The Ghostbusters review was fun, but yeah a bit boring. I think I'm just feeling fatigue, like Jay said. I'm just so tired of talking and reading about Ghostbusters or Star Wars or Marvel or whathaveyou. These days it feels like literally everywhere on the internet has some picture, some story about, some link to, something they want to sell you related to one of those three.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 23, 2021, 02:34:34 PMFinally finished Midnight Mass and so caught up with RLM's discussion on it. I was actually amazed at how effusive they were about it and how dismissive of much of the (justified, in my opinion) criticism.

Yeah, I'd watched the first episode of that and never felt the need to go back, so it was a surprise seeing how highly they rated it.
Safe to delete them, do you reckon, or should I give episode 2 a go?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 23, 2021, 02:44:44 PMYeah, I'd watched the first episode of that and never felt the need to go back, so it was a surprise seeing how highly they rated it.
Safe to delete them, do you reckon, or should I give episode 2 a go?

On balance, I'm glad I watched it, it had high highs but some very low lows as well. Thought the actor playing the priest carried it, he was great. But it had the same problems I feel with other Mike Flanagan shows, which I'd like to expound on later when I have a bit more time to consider.

JamesTC

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 23, 2021, 02:19:03 PMrich looks OLD. the others less so. how is this

He also refuses to move out of his mother's basement.

Nee bosh. I'll look forward to reading your post.
I'll keep it for now. I did quite like the slow pace of it, I'll stick the second episode on when I'm really tired one night before bed.