Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Do they not put hilarious comedy features on them any more? Sock Puppet Theatre and all that?

Bad Ambassador

One of the sock puppet extras from the DVDs is included in the new one, but the Eye on Blatchford extra from City of Death appears to have been omitted.

Gurke and Hare

60 pages of documents about the Genesis LP and no way most people can view them, brilliant.

JamesTC

I spent a couple of hours yesterday going through all the discs and moving the PDF documents to an external HDD for easy access.

The documents on The Power of the Daleks with the audience reaction to Troughton are interesting. They really didn't like him!

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 12, 2021, 04:35:51 PM
One of the sock puppet extras from the DVDs is included in the new one, but the Eye on Blatchford extra from City of Death appears to have been omitted.

Apparently the Season 17 extras list in DWM was written late on, so it might just have been an accident that it was missed off from the announced list.

Norton Canes

Henry Woolf, The Collector in The Sunmakers, has disappeard down life's plughole.

Alberon

Ah, that's a shame. I only fairly recently watched Rutland Weekend Television which he was a regular in.

Pushed off to teach drama in North America I believe.

Alberon

Did not know this about Woolf.

QuoteIn the process of undertaking his directing course at Bristol, he commissioned and directed Harold Pinter's first play, The Room (1957), in which he also originated the role of Mr Kidd.

Jerzy Bondov

Watching the TV Movie as I've never seen it before. It's alright. I wish they had continued to pursue the interesting idea of The Master going around covering people in cum.

I always thought McCoy died from being shot but he actually dies from medical malpractice, which is almost up there with Hartnell's 'just a bit knackered' and Colin's 'bump on the head' for shit Doctor deaths.

purlieu

The Virgin New Adventures tie in to that brilliantly, with Seven being told that, despite all his manipulations, he would die a totally pointless, lonely death. He gets a bit unhappy about it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 18, 2021, 11:30:27 AMWatching the TV Movie as I've never seen it before. It's alright.

I think it's more watchable now that I know the New Who template.  Back in the 90s, fresh from watching only Pertwee repeats, it was unbearable.

And I like that the deaths aren't always an "out in a blaze of glory" thing.  The sixth Doctor's is shite, but the seventh's is brilliant in its everyday pointlessness.  Sometimes regeneration stories feel overwritten and too epic, to do a specific era justice, when generally death comes out of the blue for quite stupid and avoidable reasons.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2021, 11:59:38 AMI think it's more watchable now that I know the New Who template.  Back in the 90s, fresh from watching only Pertwee repeats, it was unbearable.
That bodes well for future rewatches of the 13th Doctor's series. At the time I'd have been livid that the Master is now a snake who can possess people and pulls off his fingernails and near the end for some reason he starts talking like Bowser, but now it's all a good laugh.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 18, 2021, 02:43:10 PMThat bodes well for future rewatches of the 13th Doctor's series.

Hmm; I wouldn't go that far.

Alberon

At least it shows how bits of canon despised by the fans is dealt with.

The Doctor is not half-human, despite the best efforts of the TV Movie just as the Doctor is not the Timeless Child, despite Chinball's last two series.

JamesTC

I always liked the idea of Paul McGann somehow being the only half-human incarnation. Like maybe the regeneration went wrong somehow and caused it. His assertion that it was his mother's side was a joke (or post-regenerative amnesia).

Watched the Galaxy 4 animation on Monday. It is a good animation, but it is radically different to the story as presented in the existing episode. I'm not bothered about them increasing the scale the way they have, and I'm sure it wouldn't have been as much a problem in B&W, but I know some who might not like it due to this.

Sounds like Season 22 is one of the next Collection sets. Colin Baker was apparently recording extras at the location for Revelation of the Daleks.

purlieu

Dreamstone Moon by Paul Leonard

"Tender is the Night. Romeo and Juliet. The Transmigration of Timothy Archer. The Affirmation. We're reading Mortimore right now. All his characters die."

Yeah, that made me laugh.

There seems to be a formula for these early EDAs. They set up a fascinating concept in the first half, building it up to be some sort of epic story, only to be trampled over in the second half with 140 pages of tedious action. I could say that it's an interesting concept: stone that translates dreams into reality, moonquakes, Paul Leonard's typically well drawn aliens. But really, all the good stuff is overwhelmed by running around and rockfalls and explosions and deaths of generic redshirts, the kind of thing that might be ok on screen but takes a master author to make remotely interesting on paper. Ultimately, dull as fuck.
Also, I was really hoping the Sam is Missing arc would mean a bunch of books without Sam, but no, she's the main character here, and her brief meeting with the Doctor is convoluted, but not as much as her guilt and reason for running away the end.
Really, the best bits were the Mortimore gag and two Easter eggs: a character called Theo and somewhere called Hold B, both names also used in the last Benny novel, written by Paul Leonard at the same time as this.

Next time on the New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield... speak of the devil, it's Jim Mortimore. Looking forward to the deaths.

Catalogue Trousers

In happier news, let's all raise a celebratory glass and do an honorary hand-jive today for William Russell - Ian Chesterton himself - still with us at the age of 97!

purlieu

Now there's someone who should come back for the 60th.

Deanjam

He should've come back for the 50th. They even had the current companion working at the same school. Seemed pperfectly set up for a cameo.

Norton Canes

A spring chicken in comparison to the show's current oldest surviving actor, 101-year-old Arnold 'Bellal' Yarrow

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on November 19, 2021, 07:54:56 AMHe should've come back for the 50th. They even had the current companion working at the same school. Seemed pperfectly set up for a cameo.

Yeah, it's sad this never transpired.  Maybe because Jo Grant mentioned him in an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures, there was a decision made not to contradict her.

Bad Ambassador

Could have been his twin brother, Liam Chesterton.

Replies From View

Chester Chesterton

Or Dick Lester Chesterton or their half-brother Chatterton Chesterton of Manchester Square.

frajer

Quote from: JamesTC on November 18, 2021, 09:24:40 PMI always liked the idea of Paul McGann somehow being the only half-human incarnation. Like maybe the regeneration went wrong somehow and caused it. His assertion that it was his mother's side was a joke (or post-regenerative amnesia).

In the magnificent Writer's Tale, Russell T Davies mentions he almost included a reference to it in The End of Time. The Doctor would have mentioned "I was half-human once, on New Year's Eve" to Wilf when they were stuck in that orbiting junker ship, and the joke would have been that it was almost like post-regenerative sniffles where he was half-human for a few weeks and then his Time Lord immune system shrugged it off.

Only reason it wasn't included was because Davies felt it would have confused matters that the Tenth Doctor was fully human for a much more significant time in Human Nature/Family of Blood, so why was he mentioning it at all. I think it was the right call, but I love that Davies considers these little moments.

The Writer's Tale really is flipping brill, isn't it.

Malcy

Replies From View

I guessed that would appear today because I am so brilliant

daf

Norton Canes

It's Doctor Who Day, so Outpost Gallifrey's annual Top Three Tournament has once again reached its climax. Remember (as if anyone could forget) this is where a couple of hundred die-hard OG obsessives spend months voting their favourite three stories through interminable knockout rounds to finally discover which story is the best.

And the results are in!

6 Genesis of the Daleks 181pts
5 Human Nature 183pts
4 City of Death 185pts
3 Pyramids of Mars 198pts
2 The Parting of the Ways 205pts

Spoiler alert
1 The Curse of Fenric 227pts
[close]

Yeah, you read that right... the fickle finger of fandom huh.

Replies From View

Imagine bothering to do it every year.

Alberon

It's not like any new episode is going to bother the top (or the middle) of the list.

I do love this year's winning story though.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Replies From View on November 23, 2021, 07:33:24 PMImagine bothering to do it every year

I'm going to shock you - some Doctor Who fans are quite obsessive about this sort of thing