Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 23, 2021, 02:34:34 PMI'm just so tired of talking and reading about Ghostbusters or Star Wars or Marvel or whathaveyou.

I know what you mean and I think the RLM boys probably feel the same way. For a few years now, you can tell their heart is not really in Half in the Bag despite it being their flagship thing and they just want to crack on with BotW. I do not blame them in the slightest.

Sometimes, their Half in the Bag discussions on the latest Massive Franchise Failure make me think "surely, they can't make any more of these" (the films I mean). It all just seems completely exhausted. But China. And homegrown ("I SAW IT AND I CLAPPED!") morons who keep lapping it up. Poor Mike and Jay. They should just stop watching this shit like they did with Star Trek and focus on good new films, which actually do exist. Mike and Jay usually report them in the end-of-year roundup but not in their own episodes for some reason. I think they know where the comedy value lies, but as the Afterlife video shows, they might be scraping the barrel a bit.

Is Star Wars over yet? Genuine question. Not heard much about it during covid and that's been nice.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 23, 2021, 02:44:44 PMYeah, I'd watched the first episode of that and never felt the need to go back, so it was a surprise seeing how highly they rated it.
Safe to delete them, do you reckon, or should I give episode 2 a go?

The first episode didn't wow me either, but I loved the rest of the series. If you still aren't hooked by the ending of the second episode, you may or may not like the rest. (I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the series.)

Haha, yeah, I still don't know what the hell it's about despite watching the RLM video.
Thank you! I'll at least give episode 2 a go.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Mobbd on November 23, 2021, 04:09:32 PMIs Star Wars over yet? Genuine question. Not heard much about it during covid and that's been nice.
Trailer for Boba Fett thing is out, end of the year release, Obi Wan due next year as well as "Andor", the guy from Rogue One.
Of course the next Mando at some point too

Mobbd

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 25, 2021, 02:14:03 AMTrailer for Boba Fett thing is out, end of the year release, Obi Wan due next year as well as "Andor", the guy from Rogue One.
Of course the next Mando at some point too

At least the CGI travesty in the Boba Fett one will be Jabba. I'm fine with that.

I'm feeling tired already though just thinking about all that Star Wars. I wish Walt Disney would die.

idunnosomename

Who in the world wants more of a Rogue One character. People were interested in the sequel trilogy characters in themselves, but never seen any fandom around any original chracter in Rogue One.

Fun fact learnt Paul Putner was in Rogue One other day. He was at Pinewood for a few days he said. But then they cut all the scene he was in.

greenman

Quote from: Mobbd on November 23, 2021, 04:09:32 PMI know what you mean and I think the RLM boys probably feel the same way. For a few years now, you can tell their heart is not really in Half in the Bag despite it being their flagship thing and they just want to crack on with BotW. I do not blame them in the slightest.

Sometimes, their Half in the Bag discussions on the latest Massive Franchise Failure make me think "surely, they can't make any more of these" (the films I mean). It all just seems completely exhausted. But China. And homegrown ("I SAW IT AND I CLAPPED!") morons who keep lapping it up. Poor Mike and Jay. They should just stop watching this shit like they did with Star Trek and focus on good new films, which actually do exist. Mike and Jay usually report them in the end-of-year roundup but not in their own episodes for some reason. I think they know where the comedy value lies, but as the Afterlife video shows, they might be scraping the barrel a bit.

Is Star Wars over yet? Genuine question. Not heard much about it during covid and that's been nice.

Honestly at this stage I wouldnt mind if they dumped Half in the Bag in favour of more ReView. There does really seem to be quite a big middle ground between what they've covered in ReView so far which is has mostly been big(ish) genre films and the very low end stuff on BoTW, espeically for expanding into stuff like italian horror.

Mobbd

Quote from: greenman on November 25, 2021, 12:21:14 PMHonestly at this stage I wouldnt mind if they dumped Half in the Bag in favour of more ReView. There does really seem to be quite a big middle ground between what they've covered in ReView so far which is has mostly been big(ish) genre films and the very low end stuff on BoTW, espeically for expanding into stuff like italian horror.

Hell yeah. I mean, no need to retire the show completely but reducing it to when they actually want/need to talk about a current or recent release could not hurt at all. I agree.

kngen

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 23, 2021, 08:09:32 PMHaha, yeah, I still don't know what the hell it's about despite watching the RLM video.
Thank you! I'll at least give episode 2 a go.

I was still fairly agnostic (heh!) about it by Ep 4, but I'm glad I stuck it out. Not quite convinced it's the masterpiece RLM think it is, but it's nice to watch a intelligently scripted programme that has a bit of visceral oomph into the bargain. More of that please.

kngen

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 23, 2021, 02:34:34 PMFinally finished Midnight Mass and so caught up with RLM's discussion on it. I was actually amazed at how effusive they were about it and how dismissive of much of the (justified, in my opinion) criticism. Rather than go into here though, might make a dedicated MM thread later.

You should. I'd be interested in reading the criticism if nothing else.

QDRPHNC

Mobbd

Hey look, it's Colin from Canada!

QDRPHNC

Anyone caught the Dune Re:view? I haven't seen either the old or the new one, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Nice to see Colin back too, although it looks like lockdown has aged him. Meaning he now only looks 10 or 15 years younger than he is instead of the usual 30.

Blumf

I don't think they went into the new one enough. Probably should have focused on it alone.

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 25, 2021, 12:11:02 PMFun fact learnt Paul Putner was in Rogue One other day. He was at Pinewood for a few days he said. But then they cut all the scene he was in.

Remember that the original shooting script for Star Wars described Jabba the Hut as "a Curious Orange type of bloke in a fur coat", so once Paul Putner was himself old enough to appear in the prequel film, they could only snap him up.

The sequence will appear in a "special edition" release of the film in a few years, with Putner replaced with a CGI child version of Jabba.

JamesTC

You're havin' a laugh Han Solo.

Mobbd

Quote from: Blumf on December 01, 2021, 01:30:33 AMI don't think they went into the new one enough. Probably should have focused on it alone.

Yeah, could have been two separate videos. A Re:View and a Half in the Bag. Weird choice but a decent video.

Just as an aside, Half in the Bag has become my least favourite of the main RLM outputs -- but only because they're so starved of worthy content thanks to franchise fatigue and the pandemic. I suspect Mike and Jay know this and prefer doing Best of the Worst, which is brilliant and certainly a viewing highlight of any month (but especially October obviously).

What Half in the Bag has on its side though is that it's a cut above the average YouTube review show. There's a freakin' set and a running comedy plot and a perfect balance of scripted and improvised content (plus a film-maker's/smart person's knowledge of *when* to script something and when to ad-lib so there's no reading off autocues for 20 minutes). There's an early behind-the-scenes video where Jay says as much. On the set of the Plinkett house, he says he wants their review videos to be something different. And they really knocked it out of the park so far as I'm concerned.  Re:View, as much as I like it, is a step backwards in that regard. It's still better than a vlogger talking to us through a webcam at their desk but it's still weaker than Half in the Bag in terms of visual and creative interest even if the subject matter is meatier at the moment. Those Talk About... videos, meanwhile, are not what I want from RLM at all. I don't know why they can't just hit the Plinkett set for those and get a proper episode in the can.

They sometimes seem burdened by (or to have lost interest in) ongoing Half in the Bag storylines. That's fine! Don't do them then.

I'd like to see Re:View reserved for enthusiastic or curious look-backs at films we all remember. And for Half in the Bag to look at some of the many, many half-decent current films that are out there (the kind they eventually touch on during an end-of-year round-up) instead of the main franchises, which are so boring and are clearly boring for the hosts.

Blumf

Quote from: Mobbd on December 01, 2021, 01:43:48 PMThey sometimes seem burdened by (or to have lost interest in) ongoing Half in the Bag storylines. That's fine! Don't do them then.

Think it's got to the point where they need to reset or completely retool HitB. May have to say goodbye to Rich's Mr. Plinket, and the the video repair hustle.

Been 10 years though (wiki says the first one was March 12, 2011), even The Simpsons couldn't last longer than that.

Mobbd

Quote from: Blumf on December 01, 2021, 02:52:37 PMThink it's got to the point where they need to reset or completely retool HitB. May have to say goodbye to Rich's Mr. Plinket, and the the video repair hustle.

Been 10 years though (wiki says the first one was March 12, 2011), even The Simpsons couldn't last longer than that.

Yeah, they need to rebuild the set because it's falling apart. They could keep the video repair hustle imho but cool down the plot if they have really had enough of it.

QDRPHNC

December update.

QuoteHappy December everyone! We have pretty much our whole month planned out. While Colin was in town, we shot a Best of the Worst spotlight episode so that's being edited now. Jay and Josh are also planning a re:View soon for the Christmas classic that everyone loves and watches every season...Blood Beat, a no budget movie shot in rural Wisconsin. It's a weird little movie that should probably be on Best of the Worst instead of re:View, but it's less funny in its weirdness and more just kind of fascinating. Plus there will be our usual Christmas episode of Best of the Worst and a Half in the Bag for the new Matrix movie. That's the plan for now anyway! Ho ho ho

Mobbd

Excellent! On all counts. Thanks again for sharing.

Kelvin

That
Spoiler alert
drunken sword fight
[close]
might be one of the funniest things I've seen on BotW.

Lord Mandrake

This reminded me of another classic episode featuring 'The Instructor' which also had comical kung fu and a motorcycle chase through a waterfall. Vinegar Syndrome doing extremely niche work.

bgmnts

Yeah the fight choreography with the wide shots showing all the goons just waiting for their turn to get get beaten up is always fucking amazing.

Did they even do that on the 60s Batman show? Or did they have each goon slightly out of frame and come running in? They usually had these really high wide camera angles which showed the whole room.

Still, that sword fight had me in hysterics fair play.

Replies From View

and the matrix reloaded scene with all the agent smiths around the edges saying "my turn now to get my head scuffed with a shoe"

QDRPHNC

That was a great one, so many moments. The sword fight, the rollerskating, the reversed flip into the trunk of the car.

I was a bit apprehensive when it came up that Vinegar Syndrome had done the edit themselves, but they seem to have shown a lot of restraint and put together something that to me seems quite close to what the director/writer/actor/choreographer would have had in mind, rather that editing it into a "funny" bad movie, which must have been very tempting. And I love that Cynthia Rothrock did a voice! China O'Brien was a staple of my childhood VHS watching.

DrGreggles

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 10, 2021, 01:36:36 PMI was a bit apprehensive when it came up that Vinegar Syndrome had done the edit themselves, but they seem to have shown a lot of restraint and put together something that to me seems quite close to what the director/writer/actor/choreographer would have had in mind

Yeah, Rich nails this point. Everything funny about it is unintentional and they seem to have preserved that by being as faithful as possible. All the voice cast somehow playing it straight.

Quote from: Mobbd on December 01, 2021, 01:43:48 PMJust as an aside, Half in the Bag has become my least favourite of the main RLM outputs -- but only because they're so starved of worthy content thanks to franchise fatigue and the pandemic. I suspect Mike and Jay know this and prefer doing Best of the Worst, which is brilliant and certainly a viewing highlight of any month (but especially October obviously).

I find Mike's off-the-cuff descriptions of being bored/confused/angered by new release to be the peak of RLM comedy, so Half in the Bag is still my favorite segment. The latest Ghostbusters review was a bit of a slog, but only because it sounds like the movie is overall kind of directionless and forgettable. Give me 45 minutes of Mike and Jay being mad at miniature Stay Puft marshmallow men instead.