Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monday Afternoon in a Theme Pub

Started by Blumf, November 22, 2021, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 22, 2021, 11:09:45 PMI quite like pubs called The Coach and Horses, as they are usually full of coaches and horses.

Wait til you find out about The Queen's Head.

wooders1978

I always go into the Red Lion armed with a chair and a whip

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Erm...The Drifters consider rewrite?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 22, 2021, 05:59:04 PMAbout 12 years ago, I was in a bar called 'The Godfather' in Tartu, Estonia (it was the only place in town showing English football) that was decorated with loads of pictures and whatnot relating to gangsters both real and fictional.

In the same country, in Tallinn, there's a Depeche Mode bar, but I never got the chance to visit.
That Godfather bar extant, was there earlier this year.

Pretty sure there's a DM bar in Vilnius, too ( or there used to be, last time I was there was over a decade ago). The ' Mode still pretty big in the Baltics, then.
The DM bar is worth visiting once if you happen to be in the area as a tourist, but it's not really all that. Davey and the boys visited the bar on one occasion, and that remains the most exciting thing that happened there.
Isn't there somebody else on 'ere what lives in Tallinn? They can confirm that the best theme bar in Tallinn is Valli Baar, where the theme is " get pissed with a bunch of alcoholics, intellectuals and intellectual alcoholics". Famously has had the same decor for the past 50 years or so ( and has had the same bar staff for at least 20).
There's a Finnish - Owned bar near the train station in Tallinn called The Living Room that you could argue has a " celebrity" theme, due to the owner looking like Gary Glitter, and his head only barmaid looking like Elaine C. Smith.

lebowskibukowski

The Coyote Ugly bar in Las Vegas. If memory serves me right there were bras and knickers hanging from the ceiling. Bought a cocktail for around sixteen dollars from bar staff who looked like they wanted to be put out of their misery as soon as possible. Bleak.
I also visited a supposed Irish theme pub in Havana, the only nod to the theme being a solitary international football shirt on the wall. The drink here was a lot cheaper, though...

imitationleather

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 23, 2021, 08:50:42 AMIf memory serves me right there were bras and knickers hanging from the ceiling.

Johnny Foreigner

Dirty Dick's on Rose Street has a theme, but I am not sure what it is.
There are golf clubs and old shoes hanging from the ceiling, and they serve their menus in The Beano and Oor Wullie albums. People stick train tickets behind a metal tube that runs along the wall. I wonder, is this what is called 'hipsterism'?

There is an Australian-themed bar (Espy) on the Portobello promenade, but its most prominent feature is an old diving helmet on the counter, which I do not particularly associate with Australia.

The Beaten Docket, not far from there, used to be horseracing-themed, but that was a previous owner's obsession. The only thing that now remains is its name.

Up the Fernsehturm in Berlin is Bar 203, so called because it is at 203 metres above ground level. Unfortunately, to less-courageous folks such as me, that is the opposite of relaxing.

Doomy Dwyer

There's a pub round here called the Seven Stars that's quite notorious and run by a low end crim wannabe Hells Angel type knobber. There's sign outside that encourages you to "come in and try Shane's legendary cider!" thats more of a warning than a welcome. I don't get the impression that Shane's cider is legendary because it follows a traditional and time honoured process using locally sourced organic apples crushed on a vintage press and lovingly matured in antique oak barrels the old fashioned way. I don't even think it's legendary because it tastes nice. I suspect its legendary because after a couple of pints of Shane's Legendary Cider you're going to wake up on some kind of ward with your own cock up your own arse. The windows of the Seven Stars are usually festooned with posters advocating for Fathers 4 Justice, Help 4 Heroes and constantly advertising for bar staff. I don't know how many they need. They play loud music from the dancier end of the menu from opening time (10am) until the end. It's not good dance music, though. There's a kind of tunneled forecourt out the front where you can smoke and shout abuse at losers who aren't pissed out of their minds on cheap cider at eleven in the morning as they pass quickly by pretending to look at their mobiles. It's too depressing to be funny so I haven't been in, even though a huge part of me longs for the comfort and lostness of the demi-monde, but, y'know, it's a cheap holiday in other people's misery and all that. Anyway, I was quickly passing by the other day pretending to look at my mobile when I noticed a new poster in their window that intrigued me. It was advertising a display of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia inside. Wasn't expecting that. I can only assume that this is some kind of trap.

I went to a pub in Terazin once. It had a central bar that was in the shape of a warships hull, the floor was done out in astroturf, the windows had shutters and window boxes on the inside of the premesis and the only other patrons were a group of large shaven headed men in bomber jackets with a vicious looking rottweiler straining on an unnecessarily ornate leather leash sat around a table in complete silence along with what I can only describe as an absolute whore of a lady. This, too, played very loud low quality dance music. I don't know what the theme was, some kind of tribute to the hell panel of the Garden of Earthly Delights, possibly.   

Blumf

You know, I think some of you guys are just particularly bad at picking drinking establishments to frequent.

The Mollusk

There's another Big Lebowski themed bar in Reykjavik. Serves shitloads of different White Russians. Obviously it cost a fucking bomb and honestly who wants to drink more than two White Russians before fucking off somewhere else? They have this big spinning wheel game where when you place an order over a certain amount you can gamble on potentially winning more White Russians or - even worse - some of the hideous tat merch the place has knocked up. Wretched load of kooky bollocks, avoid.

Gurke and Hare

I remember seeing an Angry People in Local Newspapers story once featuring the owner of a Peaky Blinders bar in Birmingham. He was complaining about crime levels, and without any apparent irony complaining about media glorification of criminals while being photographed outside his gangster themed pub.

flotemysost

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 23, 2021, 08:50:42 AMIf memory serves me right there were bras and knickers hanging from the ceiling.

Same with Slim Jim's in Islington, I know the erstwhile owners of a few of the bras in there actually (I think you used to get a free shot if you took off your bra and hung it from the ceiling, which is an incredibly jammy ripoff if you ask me).

Dex Sawash

There's a redneck themed one by my house. Everyone gets really into it, they watch the NASCAR on sundays, most are wearing red caps, driving pickup trucks or H-D motorcycles.

dr beat

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 23, 2021, 11:28:39 AMThere is an Australian-themed bar (Espy) on the Portobello promenade, but its most prominent feature is an old diving helmet on the counter

I find the Espy fine, its functional if anything, sad that the pub further along has closed.

dr beat

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 23, 2021, 11:28:39 AMUp the Fernsehturm in Berlin is Bar 203, so called because it is at 203 metres above ground level. Unfortunately, to less-courageous folks such as me, that is the opposite of relaxing.

Also fine, apart from the badly designed step away from the bar.  Saw a poor old lad go flying.  Last thing you want at that height. It was bad.