Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2021's been a fucking great year for metal

Started by The Mollusk, October 17, 2021, 06:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Cor was LTE 3 this year? It is good yes, amazing Tony Levin can keep up. The Rhapsody in Blue studio version is just superb though.

New Dream Theater behhhh mfffnlllllzzzz, mehh. it's fine I guess. Distance Over Time was ok too but the title always made me think of Adam & Joe's hoedown. The Astonishing really was though: astonishingly shit!!!!!!!!!

I know back in the 00s mentioning Dream Theater would get you pillioried with turds for being a poser nerd but I do maintain in the 90s they were truly progressive and did some really amazing stuff unlike anyone else was doing. still dont have the balls to start a DT thread here though lol

also on Tony Levin, King Crimson dropped a 2021 live album last week, and it's fucking brilliant

a peepee tipi

Quote from: niat on November 22, 2021, 11:17:24 AMSeconded. Shame it's just an EP but hopefully an indicator of what's to come.

Was that the gig at Satan's Hollow? That was my last pre-Covid gig and it was a belter!

Small venue out in California called Holy Diver, kind of cozy. Were they still with Bent Knee when you saw them?

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 24, 2021, 01:02:50 AMI know back in the 00s mentioning Dream Theater would get you pillioried with turds for being a poser nerd but I do maintain in the 90s they were truly progressive and did some really amazing stuff unlike anyone else was doing. still dont have the balls to start a DT thread here though lol
Totally with you, this might be the first time I've mentioned them on any forum without being yelled at or having my sexual orientation called into question.

Actually, towards the end of high school I would check out the DT forum and it was like going on safari. This was around when Portnoy left, and everyone was fucking insane. When Portnoy sued the band, it was a 300 page thread and someone made a horrifically long post about what an injustice it was that "Rudess - purest beautiful soul, mind like a diamond - is listed as a DEFENDANT?" and the best one was some guy whose username was like KickassDrummer85 who said, without irony, "Yeah my daughter goes to the same school as Portnoy's kid and next time I see him picking up his son I'm telling this sick fuck what a piece of shit I think he is in front of both of our kids!" And the forum regulars all went, "Yeah, you fuckin tell him Rick!"

Magnum Valentino

Lads I love Dream Theater and if that thread goes up, there'll be at least three of us in there.

The Mollusk

MMXXI: The Mollusk's Extreme Metal Advent Calendar

Continuing my celebration of how much of a great year this has been for the genre, over the last month and a half I've been steadily compiling a list of my top 24 new releases and writing a review for each one. I'll be dropping one per day in this thread from today, with my top pick going on on Xmas Eve. How delightful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, without further ado...

DECEMBER 1st
24. MASTIFF - LEAVE ME THE ASHES OF THE EARTH

The new album from this Hull five-piece is rooted in the whirlwind punches of a hardcore pit but seeks to push the genre from relative stagnancy to vicious extremes by way of merciless, thick and doomy sludge metal. I'm normally not the most engaged fan of hardcore but it's a testament to the sheer force of this album that I was hooked in very quickly – this is a band clearly fed up with their hometown roots and the stale UK punk scene and venting every bit of their frustration into their sound to great effect. I'm also fairly certain that "Midnight Creeper" is a direct reference to Bob Mortimer's superbly funny Athletico Mince podcast which earns Mastiff an extra bonus point.

REPULSE
[close]

Old Thrashbarg

Love the idea, though I'd post it as a separate thread so it can be a self-contained, easily retrievable thing and not get lost in any other talk.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on December 01, 2021, 01:16:54 PMLove the idea, though I'd post it as a separate thread so it can be a self-contained, easily retrievable thing and not get lost in any other talk.

I had considered it! But I didn't want to step too much on the toes of the other advent calendar thread...

Edit: Yeah decided to do a proper thread for it

Dirty Boy

Still catching up with these.

The Papangu record was an interesting one. Enjoyably proggy in places, though i had a feeling i'd like it given the prominence of that Magma shirt.

Concrete Winds do feral blackened death metal and are worth a shout and it's only about 26 minutes long.

For something even more abrasive, French fuckers Plebian Grandstand go apeshit fusing electronic noise with black metal and the odd artier moment into a quite horrifying din. For those that like The Body and Full Of Hell.

Full album

JaDanketies

jeez that Plebeian Grandstand really cleaned my teeth

The Mollusk

I'll try and get around to that at some point. I'm on a self-imposed abstinence from all things metal for a while though. I listened to so much stuff for the advent calendar I started to forget why I enjoyed any other music and have had to force myself away from it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 25, 2022, 03:46:21 PMjeez that Plebeian Grandstand really cleaned my teeth
I rather liked it, but it didn't seem to be as full-on bonkers as I was expecting from Dirty Boy's post. Which is a good thing.

Glebe

Only heard the singles from the new Carcass, 'Dance of Ixtab' is great: