Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

I'm just glad we're getting the return of unit

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 12:04:01 PMPress blurb for the New Year's Day special.

Spoiler alert
The Thirteenth Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) and friends will kick-start 2022 with an action-packed spectacular episode set to air on BBC One on New Year's Day. The festive special will feature guest stars Aisling Bea (This Way Up, Living With Yourself, Quiz), Adjani Salmon (Dreaming Whilst Black, Enterprice) and Pauline McLynn (Father Ted, Shameless).

Sarah (Aisling Bea) owns and runs ELF storage, and Nick (Adjani Salmon) is a customer who visits his unit every year on New Year's Eve. This year, however, their night turns out to be a little different than planned...

The festive episode is the first of three Doctor Who Specials airing in 2022. The second Special airs in Spring and Jodie's final feature-length Special (in which the Thirteenth Doctor will regenerate), will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC's Centenary celebrations.
[close]

Sounds like a failed Channel 4 comedy pilot from 1991...

Replies From View

Home Alone 6 - next stop Doctor Who

A natural ascent

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 23, 2021, 02:06:44 PMI'm just glad we're getting the return of unit

And if Dan, Yaz etc have been stuck in their time for 3 years it's now 1970, so Unit will be familiar with Pertwee's Doctor, so it'll be interesting to see how Chinballs will deal with itfuck it up.

Malcy

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 23, 2021, 04:08:17 PMAnd if Dan, Yaz etc have been stuck in their time for 3 years it's now 1970, so Unit will be familiar with Pertwee's Doctor, so it'll be interesting to see how Chinballs will deal with itfuck it up.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Malcy on November 23, 2021, 04:14:26 PM1904.

Oh yeah, damn.  Yeah, it was the older version of the girl who was in 1967, wasn't it, on the other side of the divide.
Shit, I've just seen the potential fizzle out before my eyes.
Deepfake Pertwee Doc and Delgado Master would've been pretty cool if handled properly (so probably just as well Chinball didn't think of it then!)

lipsink

Who was the guy with the black hair with the white streak in it? I was sure it was Lee Nelson.

Nice to see Aisling Bea is in the New Years Special but my guess is she'll be completely wasted by Chibs writing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: lipsink on November 23, 2021, 04:40:14 PMWho was the guy with the black hair with the white streak in it? I was sure it was Lee Nelson.

I thought it was Russell Kane until he started speaking.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Malcy on November 23, 2021, 04:14:26 PM1904.

TORCHWOOD:THE EARLY YEARS!

Starring Jemma Redgrave as her own Grandmother.*

*might be her great grandmother**
**might be merely adequate.***
***these are going to have to do.

GoblinAhFuckScary

decided that the conclusion of the flux/division bollocks is just going to be a long-game windup by the cunting Master

mjwilson

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 01:18:49 PMThe press release explicitly states that the episode is set on New Year's Eve.

Sure, I get that. But it reads as though they had an idea for a Christmas episode, then crossed out "Christmas" and wrote "New Year's" on it.

Possibly, but the New Year's Day special has been 'a thing' throughout the Chibnall era. Speaking of which, I hope RTD restores the Christmas Day tradition. Doctor Who followed by Call the Midwife and EastEnders is a Yuletide triple-threat for the BBC, so you'd assume they'd be up for putting it back in place.

Tennant's first full episode went out on Christmas Day, of course, so perhaps RTD will repeat that trick next year. I dunno. Just idle speculation.

lipsink

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 23, 2021, 04:43:36 PMI thought it was Russell Kane until he started speaking.

Sorry, yeah Russell Kane was who I was thinking of.

lipsink

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 04:43:17 PMCraig Parkinson. A good actor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Parkinson

Ah, of course. Played the security guard friend in 'Four Lions' and was Tony Wilson in 'Control'.

Seems like the main baddie guy has been told to play it a bit like Paul Bettany.

olliebean

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 23, 2021, 04:43:36 PMI thought it was Russell Kane until he started speaking.

That's who he reminded me of!

mothman

^Likewise!

Quote from: Exposition on November 23, 2021, 01:05:09 AMGrand Serpent and Jericho are in the trailer for the next episode, and I don't know why the little girl would just disappear (would Dan, Yaz and Jericho just leave her?. It would also be weird to just leave Claire like that without showing what actually happens to her. Namaca I just assumed must be coming back after appearing even in the mid-credits scene.

This IS Chibnall's level of plot writing we're talking about...

Exposition

Quote from: mothman on November 23, 2021, 05:52:00 PM^Likewise!

This IS Chibnall's level of plot writing we're talking about...
Oh I am certain several of these characters will be completely forgotten by the conclusion of this. It's comical how many characters have been thrown around this season, and how many new ones pop up (now Kate Stewart out of nowhere? lmao). It feels like ep 5 might just be another mess jumping from Yaz & Dan, to Kate, to The Doctor and to Bel & Vinder.

Quote from: Exposition on November 23, 2021, 07:15:54 PMOh I am certain several of these characters will be completely forgotten by the conclusion of this. It's comical how many characters have been thrown around this season, and how many new ones pop up (now Kate Stewart out of nowhere? lmao). It feels like ep 5 might just be another mess jumping from Yaz & Dan, to Kate, to The Doctor and to Bel & Vinder.

And Victorian tunnel man. Don't forget Victorian tunnel man. I'd take my stovepipe hat off to Chibnall if he turns out to a red herring who has fuck all to do with the ongoing storyline, and we never find out why he was snatched from his timeline at all. That would be quite amusing. But no, he'll probably turn out to be a previous incarnation of The Doctor. Or the Doctor's dad. Or the head of The Division. Or all of the above. You just never know with Chibnall, he's full of crazy ideas!*

* I actually think Chibnall is pretty good at coming up with ideas, it's just that he can never expand upon them in a satisfying way. He's like a child making up a story on the hoof: "And then this happened and then this happened..."

Exposition

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 07:33:59 PMAnd Victorian tunnel man. Don't forget Victorian tunnel man. I'd take my stovepipe hat off to Chibnall if he turns out to a red herring who has fuck all to do with the ongoing storyline, and we never find out why he was snatched from his timeline at all. That would be quite amusing. But no, he'll probably turn out to be a previous incarnation of The Doctor. Or the Doctor's dad. Or the head of The Division. Or all of the above. You just never know with Chibnall, he's full of crazy ideas!*

* I actually think Chibnall is pretty good at coming up with ideas, it's just that he can never expand upon them in a satisfying way. He's like a child making up a story on the hoof: "And then this happened and then this happened..."

Oh man, my fucking face when I found out the tunnel man was a real person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Williamson_(philanthropist)

Quote from: lipsink on November 23, 2021, 05:35:29 PMAh, of course. Played the security guard friend in 'Four Lions' and was Tony Wilson in 'Control'.

Parkinson hosts a podcast, The Two Shot, in which he interviews various creative types. It's good. Parkinson is a nice, smart, unpretentious fella, so it never comes across as a wanky showbiz insider love-in. Anyone with an interest in acting, writing etc. will probably get something out of it.

https://play.acast.com/s/twoshotpod

He hasn't interviewed Chibnall yet. I hope he does, as listening to Chibs talking in detail about his creative process would be weirdly fascinating. Can you imagine?

Quote from: Exposition on November 23, 2021, 07:38:32 PMOh man, my fucking face when I found out the tunnel man was a real person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Williamson_(philanthropist)

Chibnall will, of course, provide a fictional solution to that strange mystery. Which is fine in theory, Doctor Who has always weaved historical figures and events into its fantastical sci-fi mythos, but it's Chris Chibnall so the solution will be shit.

mjwilson

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 07:33:59 PMAnd Victorian tunnel man. Don't forget Victorian tunnel man. I'd take my stovepipe hat off to Chibnall if he turns out to a red herring who has fuck all to do with the ongoing storyline, and we never find out why he was snatched from his timeline at all. That would be quite amusing. But no, he'll probably turn out to be a previous incarnation of The Doctor. Or the Doctor's dad. Or the head of The Division. Or all of the above. You just never know with Chibnall, he's full of crazy ideas!*

Wait, he's going to be Dan's (great-great-...-)grandad right?

If Dan had been around for a couple of seasons already, he could be a Dan zapped back in time by the angels, but I doubt they're looking to get rid of him already.

Midas

The Williamson Tunnels are interesting because they're a mystery. It's interesting to read and speculate about their purpose and the folklore that's amassed around their construction. When you try to explain this mystery... well then they're just some tunnels. There's nothing exciting to me about watching a fictional solution play out.

I'm suddenly feeling déjà vu...

Exposition

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 08:04:58 PMChibnall will, of course, provide a fictional solution to that strange mystery. Which is fine in theory, Doctor Who has always weaved historical figures and events into its fantastical sci-fi mythos, but it's Chris Chibnall so the solution will be shit.
They'll be sending the flux into the tunnels ofc. Or the people into the tunnels to save them from the flux.

His personality as described on the wiki makes him sound like a very fun character to write & watch, and yet for some reason so far Chibbie has just made him some guy.

Quote from: Exposition on November 23, 2021, 08:45:41 PMHis personality as described on the wiki makes him sound like a very fun character to write & watch, and yet for some reason so far Chibbie has just made him some guy.

RTD, Moffat - or any good, imaginative writer - would have a field day with someone as interesting and eccentric as Williamson. An odd enigma. Chibnall reduces him to a sub-Dickensian stereotype bumbling around some tunnels in space.

Another squandered guest actor, by the way. I like Steve Oram. He deserves better than this.

Norton Canes

Quote from: mjwilson on November 23, 2021, 08:10:03 PMIf Dan had been around for a couple of seasons already, he could be a Dan zapped back in time by the angels, but I doubt they're looking to get rid of him already

I strongly doubt RTD has any plans to keep him around

Mister Six

Can someone tell me what happened in the mid-credits scene? I turned it off and deleted the file when the credits began, and I can't be arsed downloading it again.

As others have said, a much better episode than before because Alderton know how to write dialogue and characters and plots and all the other stuff that evades Chibnall. Shame it had to be tangled up in all the Division bollocks, which I can only barely be bothered to understand and certainly don't care about.

A thought on the inevitable fucking up of The Doctor's backstory: what about some later writer revealing that The Doctor's backstory is permanently in flux, constantly shifting, so that it can never be defined and entirely known? That way "Theta Sigma", the half-human, The Timeless Child, Clara as the reason The Doctor stole that particular TARDIS and everything else some misguided fool decided (or will decide) to cram into the pre-Hartnell years are all true and all false at the same time. It's all down to what the viewer prefers, and what the writers want to do that week.

Maybe you can hint that there's a true history in among the jumble of fluctuating timelines and memories, but on The Doctor knows which one it is, and they're not telling.

Would that just annoy people even more?

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 23, 2021, 07:55:17 PMParkinson hosts a podcast, The Two Shot, in which he interviews various creative types. It's good. Parkinson is a nice, smart, unpretentious fella, so it never comes across as a wanky showbiz insider love-in. Anyone with an interest in acting, writing etc. will probably get something out of it.

https://play.acast.com/s/twoshotpod

He hasn't interviewed Chibnall yet. I hope he does, as listening to Chibs talking in detail about his creative process would be weirdly fascinating. Can you imagine?

Coo! Surely the only podcast to have interviewed both Gaby Roslin and Nicole Kidman. I like him a lot as an actor, so I'm interested to find out a bit more about him through this. Glad he's (apparently) not a prick in real life, too. Ta!