Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Got back from Boundary Park an hour ago and still can't feel my toes. The fact we lost 3-2 after twice being ahead probably doesn't help, neither does having to do a small tour of decrepit Northern shitholes by public transport to get home. I feel for the Oldham fans and hope they can oust their owner sooner rather than later as, despite the result, it really felt like a club in decline. There were fucking brambles growing in the away end.

monkfromhavana

Inspector Norse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 20, 2021, 08:43:40 PMGot back from Boundary Park an hour ago and still can't feel my toes. The fact we lost 3-2 after twice being ahead probably doesn't help, neither does having to do a small tour of decrepit Northern shitholes by public transport to get home. I feel for the Oldham fans and hope they can oust their owner sooner rather than later as, despite the result, it really felt like a club in decline. There were fucking brambles growing in the away end.

I gave it up as another lost cause and closed the BBC live text window when you were 2-1 up. The protests have been much more vociferous and regular this season but while the current owner is certainly all kinds of dodgy, we've had 15-20 years of mismanagement and boardroom/political arsery and it's hard to see where the money's going to come from to sort everything out and get things working again. There's room for a family-friendly accessible, fun alternative to the big Premier League teams in the Manchester outskirts, but the club and the ground are a mess.

Long time since I've got there by any means other than my dad's car, driven over the Pennines and parked outside his cousin's a few streets away from the ground, but I can't imagine there are many other professional stadiums as bloody far away from any public transport as Boundary Park. It's about an hour's trek to the gloriously-named tram station.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 20, 2021, 08:53:16 PMI can't imagine there are many other professional stadiums as bloody far away from any public transport as Boundary Park. It's about an hour's trek to the gloriously-named tram station.

I bet Vale Park could give it a run for its money.

The protests were surprisingly lame yesterday. They largely amounted to a banner saying something like 'get out of our club' and some little kids shining torches. The Vale fans were more vociferous in their denunciation of the Oldham board. Not too downhearted about the defeat, I think if we play like that every week we'll get promoted.

monkfromhavana

Been unable to attend / watch Cov's last two fixtures. Both ended 0 - 0. Sooner we get Waghorn back the better.

finnquark

Nicked a 96th minute equaliser at Chesterfield, who were clearly affected by  the lack of frost covers (and missing 42 players). I found it bizarre that they couldn't fill a bench with a youth player.

Norton Canes

buttgammon

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 24, 2021, 08:22:58 AMThat's the most embarrassing reveal upon shirt removal since Ryan Giggs

It's unusual not to see the player wearing another shirt under the shirt and then another shirt under the bra.

monkfromhavana

Also, hope that John Fleck is OK after collapsing on the pitch. He was a tidy player at Cov and has done well for Sheffield United.

Quote from: finnquark on November 24, 2021, 08:19:25 AMNicked a 96th minute equaliser at Chesterfield, who were clearly affected by  the lack of frost covers (and missing 42 players). I found it bizarre that they couldn't fill a bench with a youth player.

Nicked is the right word. Still, can't really complain: top of the league, we have the best striker in the division, and the frost cover fund has nearly reached 5K.

I can't imagine any youth player would get on so no point having them on the bench.

finnquark

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 24, 2021, 11:16:39 AMI can't imagine any youth player would get on so no point having them on the bench.

I agree to a point, but when we were missing 12 or 13 for the Solihull game, we had 3 academy players on the bench. I think we reflects both well (hard-nosed, winning mentality, etc.) and poorly (lack of interest in giving youth players a positive and helpful experience) on the management.

Do you reckon the injuries will derail your title charge? Stockport coming up on the rails and Wrexham can buy whoever in January. What would the financial impact be on the club if they miss out on promotion?

Under Rowe we have shown zero interest in the youth team: I heard he told a parent of a released youngster with a few first team games behind him that he didn't have time to focus on youth at this point as if he failed to get us up he was out on his ear. Not sure we would get rid of him, he's obviously good at his job, but it does show the mindset. I doubt any of them are good enough anyway, we have a woeful record of promoting youth.

Until a few days ago I thought we were coming out of the worst of the injury problems but Jeff King, our right wing back, is out until mid January and a tipping point could soon be reached. Asante and Clarke should be back soon but if, say, a centre back got injured we would be up against it.

Can't see us collapsing though, we are still pretty solid at the back and have versatility in the squad. With all the injuries our form has been incredible: I saw a stat that said we had only been behind for 45 minutes this season.Stockport are a worry but Wrexham are dropping further back by the week.

Much is made of how much we've spent but none of the players we have brought in have diminished in value and in some cases, Tshimanga the obvious, have increased.

Inspector Norse

Keith Curle mutual consented at Oldham. Whoever takes over will be the ninth manager in the three-and-a-half years the Lemsagams have owned the club.

Hat FM

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 24, 2021, 11:16:39 AMwe have the best striker in the division,

who is that?

Gutted to see Bromley lose their unbeaten run last night against Yeovil. still, 5 points off 1st with a game in hand.

finnquark

Wrexham got two late goals last night at Halifax to win from behind. If they get to January in the top 5 or 6, they can sack Parkinson, buy a load of midfielders and have a go at it I reckon.

Hat FM

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 24, 2021, 03:17:27 PMGoal a game new sweet love of my life Kabongo Tshimanga.

had a look after. he's getting loads of goals!i had just assumed that Michael cheek was top scorer again!

Kankurette

I love seeing the Wednesday squad all looking happy for once.

kalowski

No ticket for me and my son for Altrincham (his junior team season ticket is cancelled today). All due to this reduced capacity. Pain in the arse because were looking forward to it and if they'd only told us earlier we could have bought tickets. I get it, but they only informed us that the junior season tickets would not be useable after the game had sold out.
I'll be watching half the pitch from my bedroom window.

Gearing up for an exciting second half to the season in the National League. Just 7 points between Chesterfield in 1st down to Solihull Moors in 9th.

finnquark

Quote from: kalowski on November 27, 2021, 08:58:43 AMNo ticket for me and my son for Altrincham (his junior team season ticket is cancelled today). All due to this reduced capacity. Pain in the arse because were looking forward to it and if they'd only told us earlier we could have bought tickets. I get it, but they only informed us that the junior season tickets would not be useable after the game had sold out.
I'll be watching half the pitch from my bedroom window.

You didn't miss much. Southend are the worst pro team I've ever seen, and we were fucking awful. Draws at Chesterfield are irrelevant if we don't beat shite at home. Cheers Trafford Council!

holyzombiejesus

Went to see Vale vs Hartlepool yesterday. Worst team we've played by an absolute mile but also the best fans. 250/300 trekking all the way down to Staffordshire on a day like that and they made more noise then the 4,500 Vale fans combined.

Rotherham in the pizza cup next.

Kankurette

Anyone's matches called off today because of the snow? Especially in the north, if Manchester is anything to go by it's a wonder players can see the pitch.

jobotic

Well that's Gillingham in the relegation zone.

Meanwhile Chatham Town won 5-1 in the Kent Senior Trophy after drawing on all in normal time at Lewisham Borough.

Hat FM

second loss in a row for Bromley and Dave Roerts, the writer of the Bromley boys (a great read), died. not the best weekend.

monkfromhavana

badaids

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 30, 2021, 08:30:46 AMI'm not crying, I just have something in my eye. RIP Snoz

I met John Sillet and the whole Cov team the night before their cup final victory. John Sillet was the age then that I am now,  it by the old rules, he was like a king old grandpa.

It was in the restaurant at the Hilton Seven Hills Hotel in Cobham, just round the M25 from Wembley, where the team were staying.

If that sounds posh, it was, but my family isn't. We were invited out to some kind of work do there for families. This kind of thing never happened to us, and when my cunt of Dad had a massive row with my poor Mum, the kind where the whole restaurant stops and stares, we were never invited anywhere again.

At that moment I was wishing Brian Kilcline good luck, so Cov fans can basically thank me for giving them their cup final win.

Kankurette

Wednesday are already 2-0 down to Hartlepool and we're only 30 minutes in. FFS. I know nobody cares about the Papa John's trophy or whatever the fuck it's called but still.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 30, 2021, 08:30:46 AMI'm not crying, I just have something in my eye. RIP Snoz

That's sad. Always seemed like a nice man.