Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession season 3

Started by Blue Jam, July 15, 2021, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllisonSays

Haha those GQ articles are pretty dark! How to dress like a Roy, fuck me. Totally agree with your analysis of the clothes, Blue Jam, although I will say that I find Kendall pretty sexy in the dark suit/white shirt combo, a classic Irish builder on a night out look that I can never quite pull off myself.

Blue Jam

Cracking Greg episode this week:

Shiv calling out to Greg and his eyes lighting up as he replied with "Did you say 'Greg'?", then the way he looked so eager as he ran to the stage entrusted with his special bit of paper, desperately trying to swallow the last of his bagel.

Greg asking "Are you guys going to the bathroom?" as if he's watched The Thick Of It and knows all the important negotiations go on in toilets, and when he was knocked back going "Er, it's still back there I think."

Best of all, Greg awkwardly moving the plate as Uncle Ewan stared him down- lovely bit of physical nervous acting.

Very TTOI episode this week, or maybe like the bit in In The Loop where Malcolm keeps getting the time of the vote moved.

Blue Jam

Quote from: WhoMe on November 10, 2021, 04:18:26 PM
Finally up to date with the show, aside for the theme tune being permanently stuck in my head now it's pretty fantastic.

I remember it being used way too much in the first two seasons, thankfully that seems to have been rectified with season 3, with more variations of the theme being used.

Is it just me or was the music in this week's episode really reminiscent of the music from. the original House of Cards? That must have been deliberate, surely? Especially with Shiv being so Machiavellian this week.

chveik

i laugh each time i see dasha in this

Mobius

Rizla

Quote from: Mobius on November 15, 2021, 11:44:40 PM
Who is Dasha
Much-mocked ex-GF of Cumtown podcast stooge Adam Friedland, and co-host of the risible Red Scare podcast. Check out the episode where they interview Adam Curtis, fucking ridic.

Mobius

Ohh the one Greg says hello to.

I fancy her.

Blue Jam

I did like Kendall's "Let's not 'He-said-she-said' this." to Greg. Using a rape accusation analogy before going on stage to speak up for rape victims as if his "Fuck the patriarchy" wasn't insincere enough.

I've just remembered Tom with the most creepy come-on I've heard in my life, going on about Shiv's "sexy window" and "ovulation cycles":

"You're making it sound horrible. And it's not horrible. It's nice."

Shiv's not going to be your incubator, Tom. Shiv's not going to be anyone's incubator, but least of all yours.

Are we counting
Spoiler alert
'Moon on a stick'
[close]
as a deliberate
Spoiler alert
Lee and Herring
[close]
reference?

Blue Jam

Heh, I was wondering that too!

Also: Maybe I've been watching too much BCS/reading too much of TV Tropes, but
Spoiler alert
"temperature"
[close]
is starting to feel like it may be an arc word. Could it signify a
Spoiler alert
fire
[close]
, a
Spoiler alert
fever
[close]
, or
Spoiler alert
fuck all
[close]
?

Inspector Norse

The Roy family have done some monstrous things in their time but if Greg goes ahead with his plan to sue Greenpeace he might just outdo the lot of them.

Proactive

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 16, 2021, 09:09:33 PM
Are we counting
Spoiler alert
'Moon on a stick'
[close]
as a deliberate
Spoiler alert
Lee and Herring
[close]
reference?
100%

non capisco

My favourite bit of the last one was Roman taking the piss out of Tom for wagging his finger in the air like Poirot when he was "deducing" how long Logan had been UTI crazy for.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 17, 2021, 07:57:45 AM
The Roy family have done some monstrous things in their time but if Greg goes ahead with his plan to sue Greenpeace he might just outdo the lot of them.

I did wonder if that had been inspired by Matthias Rath trying to sue Medecins Sans Frontieres.

Along with some viewers not realising this is a comedy, and some thinking the Roys are supposed to be style icons, another thing I don't get is this "we must protect Greg at all costs" meme. He's not Nacho's dad or Kim Wexler from BCS, he's a Roy, and he has a ruthless and conniving streak just like the rest of them. If he had any brains he'd be dangerous. Mind you, not even Connor would be stupid or evil enough to sue Greenpeace.

Also dear god no (mildly NSFW, it's all there in the URL):

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/succession-star-nicholas-braun-has-inspired-a-new-sex-toy-called-greg-the-egg-3073121

Spoiler alert
"teledildonics"? "egg"? Come on poo, this was you wasn't it?
[close]

Gotta love this from the Newsweek article:

QuoteDespite the cutthroat nature of the Roy family, they have surprisingly affectionate pet names for one another. Logan calls his daughter Shiv "Pinky" and his son Roman "Romulus," but the most endearing nickname of them all is "Greg the Egg," which is revealed to us by his aunt, Lady Caroline Collingwood.

Er... even Tom probably knows enough about the Romans from reading his Big Book to realise that "Romulus" probably isn't affectionate.

EOLAN

Gonna be disappointed if Roger Allam doesn't play Peter Munion.

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on November 12, 2021, 10:46:09 AMThere's a fantastic bit in the much under-rated Get Shorty tv series where Chris O'Dowd (he's excellent in it)
Spoiler alert
ends up in a terrifying prison with all the other scumbags, while Ray Romano (just as good)  drives up to a nice building, presses a buzzer and says hesitantly 'Um, I'm guess I'm here to go to prison?' Then shares a pleasant room with some wealthy execs who offer to bankroll his next project and they all have therapy together.
[close]

Shout out to the Get Shorty TV show, as Jack says O'Dowd and Romano are excellent in it.

A hidden gem.

chveik

they are starting to stretch the limits of my credulity. Tom trying to get in the prison lifestyle is funny but surely he should know that people as rich as him have a lot of advantages there.

also i know the US is an oligarchy but a billionaire alone can't decide the fate of an election

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: EOLAN on November 22, 2021, 02:17:40 AMGonna be disappointed if Roger Allam doesn't play Peter Munion.

Already announced as
Spoiler alert
Pip Torrens.
[close]

rjd2

Quote from: chveik on November 22, 2021, 04:35:45 PMthey are starting to stretch the limits of my credulity. Tom trying to get in the prison lifestyle is funny but surely he should know that people as rich as him have a lot of advantages there.

also i know the US is an oligarchy but a billionaire alone can't decide the fate of an election

Agreed .

So the fascist is a really clever guy with his finger on the pulse of the current GOP party,,,,then why would he take a photo with someone like Logan who I just can't believe would even agree to it ,,he'd be pulling the strings behind the scenes while the fascist rallied against the billionaire class.

Blue Jam

Greg's stupidity is really testing the limits of my credulity. It made sense in season 1 but has he really learned absolutely nothing? He's gone from naive to conniving and back to naive again.

Still loving Tom obsessing over going to prison though. The scene with Greg in the diner and Tom trying to get him to eat the omelette reminded me of the "curry torture" scene in Peep Show.

Prison or not I can't see Shiv staying with her "trophy husband" while he keeps pressing her to start trying for a baby. She probably actually wants him to go to prison now so she can have a few months of fun with Nate.

"I've decided I don't want to be a commercial playwright..." Yaaay more Connor and Willa. "How did you guys meet?" "ONLINE"

chveik

shiv is the ultimate liberal, she blackmails metoo whisteblowers AND at the same time still thinks russiagate was real.

rjd2

Voted for Mayor Pete and loves Sinema's "slaykween vibes".

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 22, 2021, 10:10:34 PMGreg's stupidity is really testing the limits of my credulity. It made sense in season 1 but has he really learned absolutely nothing? He's gone from naive to conniving and back to naive again.

I think Greg still very much plays up his naivety in some situations and certainly has an angle, but what I don't get is why they take him along on junkets like the one in this episode. I'm starting to think someone else has a plan for him: someone important thinks or knows Greg will come in handy at some point and don't want him going off on his own.

Quote from: chveik on November 22, 2021, 04:35:45 PMthey are starting to stretch the limits of my credulity. Tom trying to get in the prison lifestyle is funny but surely he should know that people as rich as him have a lot of advantages there.

I don't think it was one billionaire, really: Logan and the gang were certainly seen as the kingmakers, but they in turn needed Stephen Root to back them and there was presumably a lot of other glad-handing and favour-exchanging that went on offscreen. I guess that in the world of the show there's also a bit of simplification, ATN representing all the right-wing media who we surely can't deny exert an unhealthy influence over real-world politics.

I thought it was an excellent episode this week, it's always fun when they go to these big conferences and get to be bitchy about all the other guests, and there was a really ominous feel to it: not only in seeing the cynical political manipulation (how many times did we hear them say they didn't care about the candidates' actual ideologies and policies? only "liberal" Shiv tried to show any backbone there and everyone saw through her attempts to shill for the white-haired dude straight away), but in the feeling that they might have hitched their horse to a wagon liable to career out of control, and away from that in the gradual shift of power from Kendall back to Logan: now that the initial shock and adrenaline have died down, Logan has wrested back command and Kendall's case and direction are floundering.

The scene between Kendall and Tom was superb: Tom's plotline has been a little uncertain this series, but that scene gave some real insight into his feelings and motivations, and he came out of it with his dignity boosted.

Jack Shaftoe

Yeah, thought that was a great episode after last week's slightly lukewarm one. I felt a moment of jubilation for Greg, who's got far too one-note lately, for finally saying he didn't think Connor should be president, that was just going too far (then realised later that of course he said nothing about the cryptofascist).

'Minimising the Greg window' still makes me laugh. Someone pointed out on Twitter than Peter Mannion was also accidentally called 'Peter Onion', so I'm pretty sure that's an in-joke by the writers.

The whole 'these people have way too much power' thing finally reminds us why this matters, up to now I've been a bit, well, none of them will take over, but none of them will go to prison either (and if they do, not a scary prison), so ultimately does any of this really matter? But yes, they'd happily put a fascist in the White House to advance their cause, so it does matter.

Blue Jam

Were the mentions of "the ombudsman" also a shout-out to Peep Show?

poo

poo

rjd2

Quote from: chveik on November 15, 2021, 11:22:07 PMi laugh each time i see dasha in this

I assume she isn't going take the acting to seriously as probably making serious money doing the podcast etc.

https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/1462857300188749830

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on November 23, 2021, 11:19:25 AMThe whole 'these people have way too much power' thing finally reminds us why this matters, up to now I've been a bit, well, none of them will take over, but none of them will go to prison either (and if they do, not a scary prison), so ultimately does any of this really matter? But yes, they'd happily put a fascist in the White House to advance their cause, so it does matter.

Yeah, just when you think you're starting to like this or that character they'll offer a stark reminder of who they really are. Roman may be likable for the way he sees through all the bullshit and offers a cynical perspective on his family's antics, but at the same time he is in a position where that manifests itself as the kind of nihilism that pushes him to get into bed (and really, there were some serious sexy vibes between him and Justin Kirk) with a neofascist almost for a laugh.