Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Passport renewal

Started by Fr.Bigley, November 23, 2021, 05:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Anyone renewed the old burgundy freedom book, for the halfwit brexit one yet? I just realised mine is about to expire and wondered if you fuckos had the new one? Timeline? Etc.

Glebe

Need to renew my own pasport actually.

The Guppy

I helped my parents sort theirs last month. Getting the site to accept a photo was a right palaver. It kept saying they were blurred when I could see they were clear. You can choose to use a photo even after the site says its wank, so I did that and there were no problems.

ETA was three weeks later, and they sent them after 19 days so not bad. BUT they used TNT couriers, who made a pig's ear of it. Said there was no one to sign for them (there was) and didn't leave a card, so I don't think they actually attempted delivery at all. Rearranged delivery and they just pushed 'em through the letterbox at 8pm, no signature required. Cunts.

flotemysost

Got mine earlier this year and my experience was similar to The Guppy's. The online application itself is straightforward enough - used a photo taken on my phone, website said I wasn't looking straight at the camera but it was fine in the end - but I can't really stress enough how much of a towering pile of wank TNT's services are, and how concerning it is that they're being used for possibly one of the most important documents many of us will own.

They kept texting to say they'd tried to deliver it but no one had answered; except at the time I was working from home all day on my own, in a tiny flat where there's no way I wouldn't have heard the door (had other stuff delivered on those days without any problem). The TNT delivery tracking site requires you to crack a series of Sphinx-worthy codes to get in, but eventually when I did there was a photo of a school a few streets away which they'd apparently tried to send it to, with the message "doorbell didn't work" next to it.

Eventually got it a week or two later. Definitely get on it pronto if you've got any potential travel plans on the horizon. Good luck!

Icehaven

Mr. Haven renewed his around summer last year and against expectations (given it was still during lockdown) it was very quick, a few weeks? I think renewals are ok as they don't rely too much on people being in offices, but new applications take much longer as they need more human work.

Midas

Been thinking of renewing mine early because the snap of my face ended up looking a bit distorted, and now I seem to be the subject of long, drawn-out facial inspections every time I need to show it. A woman the other week was actually holding it up by my cheek, and made me stand at the self-checkouts ridiculously contorting my face, while she stroked her chin and sceptically muttered, "Hmm... the man in the picture looks more hunched over..." She ended up calling over a colleague to confer with, while everyone else kept glancing at me like I was a shoplifter, and also (I suspect) privately judging my shopping bags stuffed full of booze and goodies.

imitationleather

Quote from: Midas on November 23, 2021, 09:26:25 PMBeen thinking of renewing mine early because the snap of my face ended up looking a bit distorted, and now I seem to be the subject of long, drawn-out facial inspections every time I need to show it. A woman the other week was actually holding it up by my cheek, and made me stand at the self-checkouts ridiculously contorting my face, while she stroked her chin and sceptically muttered, "Hmm... the man in the picture looks more hunched over..." She ended up calling over a colleague to confer with, while everyone else kept glancing at me like I was a shoplifter, and also (I suspect) privately judging my shopping bags stuffed full of booze and goodies.

Until I reached the end of the post I thought this was taking place at the passport gates of an airport. Which would be a proper nightmare.

Janie Jones

Quote from: The Guppy on November 23, 2021, 07:15:47 PMI helped my parents sort theirs last month. Getting the site to accept a photo was a right palaver. It kept saying they were blurred when I could see they were clear. You can choose to use a photo even after the site says its wank, so I did that and there were no problems.

Problem with that is that you run the risk of it being rejected further through the process in which case you lose time and your fee. The same happened to Mr Jones even though we knew the photos were fine but we decided not to risk using them anyway and reluctantly paid £8 to have new ones taken at the post office passport service. It really boils my piss to be exploited like that.

Inspector Norse

I got a nice Swedish one instead. My UK one lasts a few more years so no need to panic.

I do need to get UK passports for the kids I guess, but given that the UK government tries to bleed as much money as possible out of you for passports (what exactly is the reasoning for UK passports costing twice as much as EU passports? Is the blue paper a rare byproduct of saffron farming or diamond mining or something?) I'll wait and see whether they get arrested, quarantined and/or deported when I try to take them into the country at Christmas first.

Chollis

Anyone else applied for passport via Foreign Birth Registration? Just started the process of getting my Irish passport, heard it's an absolute BALLACHE

QuoteA new study conducted by Henley Passport Index (HPI) found that the Irish passport is the sixth-most powerful in the world, ranking above the United States and the United Kingdom, who can gain entry to 185 countries without a visa.

i'm gonna be so powerful!

Hat FM

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 24, 2021, 11:47:59 AMI got a nice Swedish one instead. My UK one lasts a few more years so no need to panic.

I do need to get UK passports for the kids I guess, but given that the UK government tries to bleed as much money as possible out of you for passports (what exactly is the reasoning for UK passports costing twice as much as EU passports? Is the blue paper a rare byproduct of saffron farming or diamond mining or something?) I'll wait and see whether they get arrested, quarantined and/or deported when I try to take them into the country at Christmas first.

how much is it to renew a passport in the uk nowadays? gota do mine next year.

Icehaven

Rolf Lundgren

I had to do the super fast renewal service a few months back because I needed to book something quickly and I'm an idiot.

Had to go to Peterborough to pick it up where I went into the completely deserted waiting room with space for about 500 people and sat down for about two seconds until my number was called. The desk was setup like receiving a visitor in a US prison so accepting the passport had a frisson of illicit contraband about it.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Chollis on November 24, 2021, 11:56:04 AMAnyone else applied for passport via Foreign Birth Registration? Just started the process of getting my Irish passport, heard it's an absolute BALLACHE

i'm gonna be so powerful!

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=83338.0

Expect to wait 12-18 months for your Irish citizenship (unless you impregnate someone in the meantime, in which case it's fast-tracked). Gathering and double-checking all the documents takes time but compared to other countries, it's a laughably easy route to a EU passport.

I haven't actually applied for my Irish passport yet but I've heard it takes a few weeks. 

Billy

My Irish docs (citizenship from a grandfather) were sent off in September 2018 and were approved in September 2019, following which the passport arrived in the October. Given the timings I was pretty lucky as the offices were closed for much of the last year and a half.

A friend of mine is applying for Italian citizenship and had a bit of a worry when she discovered that women were bafflingly not able to pass on citizenship until 1948 (she's applying from a grandmother born in the 1930s) but luckily it only applies when the child was born so her 60s-born mother has kept the chain going.