Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Not one of the greats but I did laugh at Larry saying "Steady Inspector, steady" to Suzie when she was getthefuckoutofmyhousing

mjwilson

Quote from: EOLAN on November 16, 2021, 09:36:21 AMA bit late on this one but that Curb episode was before Lost and he was far from a known quantity. I think it is cited that his appearance in Curb was an inspiration for casting him in Lost.

Yeah, Lost has a callback to his Curb appearance - in a flashback, he is arrested on suspicion of being a drug dealer. (Early Lost also has references to The Office (UK) and Arrested Development.)

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam

Janie Jones

My first laugh-out-loud moment of this series was when LD was being needled about not praying for his friend's dad's recovery
Spoiler alert
and when asked how he could be so certain that prayers aren't answered, replied 'BECAUSE I'M BALD!' which must resonate with many of us here
[close]

The fact that these entitled rich old men date very beautiful, funny, clever, much younger women just reflects that LA country club world I guess but I was creeped out when Larry told his date
Spoiler alert
when she annoyed him slightly something like 'Yet I'm still thinking of having sex with you,' like she was lucky to still be in the running to have this bald little old man grunting on top of her
[close]

jobotic

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 24, 2021, 09:04:23 AMThe fact that these entitled rich old men date very beautiful, funny, clever, much younger women just reflects that LA country club world I guess but I was creeped out when Larry told his date
Spoiler alert
when she annoyed him slightly something like 'Yet I'm still thinking of having sex with you,' like she was lucky to still be in the running to have this bald little old man grunting on top of her
[close]

Spoiler alert
Wasn't that a bit of self-deprecation from him though? "Aren't you lucky to still be in the running to have this bald little old man grunting on top of you?".
[close]
Didn't creep me out like Jeff's affair/abortion plot a couple of episodes ago.

poodlefaker

I have to say that "LA Country Club world" never looks very appealing in Curb. The highlight of the week for these millionaires is lunch in a golf club restaurant that looks like the canteen in an old peoples' home. Soulless restaurants, coffee shops in strip malls that you have to drive to. His house looks like an empty hotel and his office like it's on a Swindon business park. I'm never sure if it's deliberate or that's just how LA is. Or maybe  it's just me.

bobloblaw

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 23, 2021, 09:38:45 PM

IRASSHAMAISE!

love this. Looks like an outtake from Twin Peaks: the Return

ASFTSN

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 24, 2021, 10:51:31 AMI have to say that "LA Country Club world" never looks very appealing in Curb. The highlight of the week for these millionaires is lunch in a golf club restaurant that looks like the canteen in an old peoples' home. Soulless restaurants, coffee shops in strip malls that you have to drive to. His house looks like an empty hotel and his office like it's on a Swindon business park. I'm never sure if it's deliberate or that's just how LA is. Or maybe  it's just me.

Never been able to figure this out either. Sometimes I think it's commenting on how out of touch these people's lives are in these huge fake houses where all they have to worry about is attending the next charity do, but then you get stuff like the episode about the rock concert this season, which was seemingly written by someone who had never attended live music (no-one would complain about you using ear protection at a rock concert, people have been recommending it for decades now and any musician or concert goer wouldn't bat an eyelid. Tissue paper wouldn't work either, but then that's just naff writing).

I wondered when Larry called up his potential date's IMDB page and it showed her date of birth as 1970 whether that was going to be some comment on these crusty old fucks constantly dating women 20 years younger but no.

Anyway I thought this episode was a bit naff, felt like it had been created by a CYE random encounter generator. On the other hand I seem to disagree with a lot of people about the Klansman one last week which was ridiculous but made me laugh. I think I only like OTT curb now.

This has been a poor season imo outside of the blackmailing wannabe actress who steals every scene

Mobbd

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 24, 2021, 10:51:31 AMI have to say that "LA Country Club world" never looks very appealing in Curb. The highlight of the week for these millionaires is lunch in a golf club restaurant that looks like the canteen in an old peoples' home. Soulless restaurants, coffee shops in strip malls that you have to drive to. His house looks like an empty hotel and his office like it's on a Swindon business park. I'm never sure if it's deliberate or that's just how LA is. Or maybe  it's just me.

It really is like that! I'm not sure if it's an aesthetic preference (I suspect it is because they've come to associate it with affluence) or if they don't know what makes a good city lifestyle through lack of exposure to them.

There is an idea in the US that the suburbs are the place to be. It's where you go when you're successful: away from the noise and disorder of city and country alike; in effect like having your brain removed so you can feel no pain. And when you're in suburbs like Larry is, the place to go is golf clubs and shopping malls. Pink Berry and all those other weird brands they have on Curb are real and perfectly natural to a certain type of person.

I think Larry knows this and finds all that stuff inherently ticklish. Early seasons always struck me as being at least partly about a shouty/honest New Yorker being transplanted to decorum-obsessed/dishonest suburban LA.

Mobbd

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 24, 2021, 09:04:23 AMMy first laugh-out-loud moment of this series was when LD was being needled about not praying for his friend's dad's recovery
Spoiler alert
and when asked how he could be so certain that prayers aren't answered, replied 'BECAUSE I'M BALD!' which must resonate with many of us here
[close]

That was the best line. Really good.

LD was surrounded by assholes in this episode. Really felt like the old days.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Mobbd on November 24, 2021, 02:02:52 PMI think Larry knows this and finds all that stuff inherently ticklish. Early seasons always struck me as being at least partly about a shouty/honest New Yorker being transplanted to decorum-obsessed/dishonest suburban LA.

Yes, that was a bigger feature in the early days. Seems crazy that a man who shits money still drives to a crappy office and buys pants from the Gap in the shopping precinct.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 24, 2021, 11:11:47 AMlove this. Looks like an outtake from Twin Peaks: the Return

My internet froze and this was the image that remained. Love it

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mobbd on November 24, 2021, 02:02:52 PMIt really is like that! I'm not sure if it's an aesthetic preference (I suspect it is because they've come to associate it with affluence) or if they don't know what makes a good city lifestyle through lack of exposure to them.

There is an idea in the US that the suburbs are the place to be. It's where you go when you're successful: away from the noise and disorder of city and country alike; in effect like having your brain removed so you can feel no pain. And when you're in suburbs like Larry is, the place to go is golf clubs and shopping malls. Pink Berry and all those other weird brands they have on Curb are real and perfectly natural to a certain type of person.

I think Larry knows this and finds all that stuff inherently ticklish. Early seasons always struck me as being at least partly about a shouty/honest New Yorker being transplanted to decorum-obsessed/dishonest suburban LA.

I think he's supposed to live in Brentwood, which is just an affluent neighborhood of LA (think Hampstead Heath), close to Santa Monica. The proper suburbs would be more in the Valley (Encino, Tarzana etc.), but even those are within easy reach of "city" stuff. Not the kind of suburbs where there's nothing else to do but go to the mall, anyway.

I think the reason those kinds of places end up in Curb a lot is that they're easy to film in (especially with its more minimalist setup in early seasons) and tend to be good settings for material surrounding "minor social transgressions". There are also an unusual amount of doctors visits throughout Curb, but it's not because he doesn't have anything else to do. It's probably partly to keep it relatable, like most observational comedy - we don't all have hundreds of millions of dollars, but we do all go to the shops!

I do like how bland and unexciting they make LA seem, though. Far closer to the reality than something like, say, Californication.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 24, 2021, 09:04:23 AMThe fact that these entitled rich old men date very beautiful, funny, clever, much younger women just reflects that LA country club world I guess but I was creeped out when Larry told his date
Spoiler alert
[close]

I mean, he was obviously saying that jokingly. Also I'm not sure what this obsession is with Larry David's character dating middle-aged women. It's not like they're in their 20s. And he's hardly this disgusting Weinstein pig man, he's a funny and quite svelte older man.

wrec

It's not even far-fetched. His ex wife Laurie is over a decade younger, prominent as an environmental activist (like Cheryl!) and film producer, got half his estate in the divorce, and they're still apparently best of friends. New wife Ashley is significantly younger than Julie Bowen (half Larry's age!), and as it happens looks a bit like her.

dirkgonnadirk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 24, 2021, 07:20:04 PM.lAnd he's hardly this disgusting Weinstein pig man, he's a funny and quite svelte older man.

You call him svelte, I call him sinewy.

BlodwynPig

Mobbd

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 24, 2021, 07:10:06 PMThe proper suburbs would be more in the Valley

Don't tell anyone but I've got a
Spoiler alert
great shortcut to the Valley
[close]

ASFTSN

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 24, 2021, 07:10:06 PMThere are also an unusual amount of doctors visits throughout Curb, but it's not because he doesn't have anything else to do. It's probably partly to keep it relatable

I also assume because his character has the sort of health anxieties you have when you have no real problems. "Stay out of the sun!"

Mr Faineant

I've been rewatching season 1. Not seen it for several years, although I have seen it many times. The episode with the incest survivors (The Group) hits a little different in this post Weinstein world...Jeff getting that lady the part, then we see him in a hotel with her, plying her with scotch. In retrospect, it should always have felt off, but I don't think that scene could be made today, without people feeling a bit disturbed by it.

madhair60

I started it for the first time, got through season 1 this weekend, now on season 2. I like it a lot.

Replies From View

I rewatched some of season 6 this weekend.  It might be the most solid season in terms of almost flawless episodes.

I love all the Ted Danson is Anonymous stuff.  In retrospect the episode is seeding Cheryl and Ted dating, too.

Noodle Lizard

This one was written by the manatees wasn't it? Coasting purely on goodwill at this point, I reckon.

mr. logic

Yep, poor episode. Nothing especially threaded together either.

Mobius

I didn't enjoy last week's but I seemed to be one of the only ones, and I really didn't like this week's episode either. Don't think I laughed once, maybe the bit where Larry went to live with Vince Vaughan and they bickered over the sparkling water. "That's an act of war, the Perrier. You're better than that." ... that was about it.

Honestly some of it felt like a fan writing an episode of Curb. Like when people say on Curb all they do is argue, it was like if someone had written a parody of a typical Curb scene. That scene where he's on the phone with the car company woman was really bad.

the science eel

The reminder/remindee stuff was funny. I love those exchanges, where LD is irritatedly trying to push a ridiculous point.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mobius on November 29, 2021, 09:40:31 PMHonestly some of it felt like a fan writing an episode of Curb. Like when people say on Curb all they do is argue, it was like if someone had written a parody of a typical Curb scene. That scene where he's on the phone with the car company woman was really bad.

Exactly.

---

Also, it only just occurred to me how strange it is that they got (Libertarian, Christian, friend of Mel Gibson gentile) Vince Vaughn to play a Jewish relative of Marty Funkhouser. I know, "play pretend", but it's a little surprising nevertheless.

ASFTSN

Latest one was possibly joint worst ever, along with that civil war reenactment shite from a few series ago. The stuff with the roofer - literally just 'ha ha he is fat'. And where did the roofer get that iPhone charger with a 30ft long cable?