Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

QAnon Does Dallas, and where do they go from here

Started by Ferris, November 05, 2021, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 24, 2021, 05:21:09 PMchildish symbolism.

Long time ago I stumbled across a collection of ideas from the general public on what should be built on the site of the World Trade Center.

Absolutely hilarious, some of them.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 24, 2021, 05:24:40 PMLong time ago I stumbled across a collection of ideas from the general public on what should be built on the site of the World Trade Center.

Absolutely hilarious, some of them.

What's yer top 5?

chveik

QDRPHNC

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on November 24, 2021, 05:49:09 PMWhat's yer top 5?

https://web.archive.org/web/20050212223618/http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2002/wtc.ideas/designs/page.30/

I actually just found the page through the wayback machine, so a lot of the pictures are gone, but here it is. I can't find the one that really stuck out to me years ago, something about "LET'S ROLL" stretching across the inside of bridge connecting the two new buildings? Something really stupid like that.

TheGingerAlien

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 24, 2021, 06:00:49 PM

I love the idea of building the tallest building in the world and then only using the first 60 floors. Like property developers would be fine with the idea of spending billions to construct space they can never sell or lease, in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 24, 2021, 06:36:32 PMI love the idea of building the tallest building in the world and then only using the first 60 floors. Like property developers would be fine with the idea of spending billions to construct space they can never sell or lease, in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

Correction - two 100-storey buildings that only use the first 60 floors.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: chveik on November 24, 2021, 05:55:13 PM
this is quite funny

I propose we now start calling World World 2, "The Hitler Situation".

Ferris

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 24, 2021, 06:36:32 PMI love the idea of building the tallest building in the world and then only using the first 60 floors. Like property developers would be fine with the idea of spending billions to construct space they can never sell or lease, in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

Love the last paragraph of that as well.

Trying to stitch him up with a "what if they get attacked by planes again" routine? Well, he's got a plan for that, mate. Erik is always one step ahead.

Video Game Fan 2000

My plan would be to build the World Trader Center again exactly where it used to be with the same dimensions. But this time to build it downwards into the ground. This is a genius idea because the exact same amount of office space is created and the surface is free to be a beautiful park to remember those we lost on that tragic day.

But hold on, I see what the criticism of my plan is going to be. What if the Mole People attack the World Trade Center II with their drill-based vehicles? You see, this is where I am an even bigger genius than you already thought. If this happens, the entire construction instantly pops out of the ground to be a skyscaper again. I've loaded it with massive springs released with explosives.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 24, 2021, 06:38:31 PMCorrection - two 100-storey buildings that only use the first 60 floors.

Heh, indeed.

I know if I'd died on 9/11 and was represented by one of the 2,600+ life-size statues on the site, I'd want the statue to be staring up at some vacant offices. It's really quite poignant when you think about it.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 24, 2021, 07:15:34 PMLove the last paragraph of that as well.

Trying to stitch him up with a "what if they get attacked by planes again" routine? Well, he's got a plan for that, mate. Erik is always one step ahead.

If only Erik had been at ground zero back in 2001, he could have suggested the use of fire escapes and helicopters. I bet the FDNY are kicking themselves now.

Mister Six

Fucking hell. You think they'll take a break for Thanksgiving?

Ferris

this is quite funny

Blimey.

I really like this interviewer - he has the Nathan Fielder sort of interview style that is respectful while also slightly taking the piss.

mothman

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 24, 2021, 07:19:54 PMMy plan would be to build the World Trader Center again exactly where it used to be with the same dimensions. But this time to build it downwards into the ground. This is a genius idea because the exact same amount of office space is created and the surface is free to be a beautiful park to remember those we lost on that tragic day.

But hold on, I see what the criticism of my plan is going to be. What if the Mole People attack the World Trade Center II with their drill-based vehicles? You see, this is where I am an even bigger genius than you already thought. If this happens, the entire construction instantly pops out of the ground to be a skyscaper again. I've loaded it with massive springs released with explosives.

Video Game Fan 2000

It'll be successful, I'm putting the entire reputation of P.U. Pirate & Sons Architects on the line.

Ferris

Suspect the nutters are still in Dallas, and basically will be until forever. Meanwhile - I'm on the chopping block!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ddgm/qanons-queen-of-canada-calls-for-followers-to-kill-people-vaccinating-children

My boy is vaccinated so it's curtains for me!

...but this is the kind of thing I find so fascinating, and also so weird when it finally hoves into my view. This lady is claiming to be the queen of Canada and has been for a few years (?), and people are going "ok yes, that makes sense, so we'll do whatever you say so what should we do then?"

There are all sorts of obvious boring reasons about why that's ludicrous (and some esoteric Canadian socio-political ones: power lives with lawrentian Canadians, man!), but I'm interested in how someone got to this position, and why other people believe them. I don't know why I find the strangeness so compelling, but there you go.

Is it... serious? No, probably not, but it's out there and I had no idea until 20 minutes ago.

phantom_power

this is quite funny

I don't find it funny, just sad. That these people are tanking their lives on such a ridiculous and hateful fantasy.

It is very odd that, in their eyes, only one side of the political divide has rich and powerful people abusing that power for awful ends. And that Trump, of all people, is their savour

It also says something about the higher-ups in the movement that they are relying on some Democrat to come back from the dead, or out of hiding, to save them. It shows how shit all the other "believers" are really

Ferris

Roger Stone has turned up to talk to the remaining faithful (numbering a "few dozen")

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4awxzw/roger-stone-visited-jfk-qanon-cult

...Though per the article, families are starting to formally section people still there which is a bit grim. Apparently the former Apprentice USA host himself will be nearby this weekend (or possibly last weekend, article isn't clear) so perhaps that's when the prophecy will come true.

I am fascinated by the ~1,000 people who showed up in Dallas initially but have since left - do they still believe in all this or what? And why (or why not)?

I also don't get why you'd make a claim like this that will obviously and undeniably be disproved by basic reality as of a certain date unless you actually believe it. If it was all a scam, you'd say "oh who knows" or you'd pick a date 50 years in the future. Making a huge claim about dead people coming back to life as of a specific date makes no sense unless you really believe that to be the case.

Anyway, will they do Christmas there? Or will the men in white coats scoop them up before then? Who can say.

Alberon

They're down to the bedrock of those who chose to completely ignore reality. At this point QAnon isn't like a cult, it is a cult.

But it would be interesting to track down those who've left and find out what they think now.

Ferris

Well the big Q phrases are "no coincidences" and "trust the plan" which cover essentially all scenarios.

Something happens and you are able to draw some wild inference (the Rolling Stones playing in Dallas, someone is wearing a specific colour tie etc) then it's all happening! No coincidences! If something doesn't happen in a way that you can't pretend you didn't see (eg jfk doesn't rise out of his grave on the 48th anniversary of his own assassination) then it's ok, I don't have to understand, I trust the plan.

It's probably subconscious, but it apes modern evangelical Christianity in that god knows exactly what he's doing via his plan, but also if something entirely and inconveniently and un-ignorably non-Jesus happens, then well "he moves in mysterious ways". It also makes adherents who believe (regardless of what reality tells them) tremendously pliable and exploitable. They have this ur-faith, they just don't know in what. If you come along and tell them (oh and solicit "donations" of course), it's probably very lucrative.

They're apparently all sleeping in a couple of Airbnbs (a dozen or so in each place on the floor) which has MEGA-CULT energy.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ferris on December 17, 2021, 03:14:28 AMThough per the article, families are starting to formally section people still there which is a bit grim.
... Or will the men in white coats scoop them up before then? Who can say.

Unsurprisingly, I'd hope, the example actually linked to in the story isn't as neat as "person goes to DALLAS, gets subjected to state-violence for being MENTAL":
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ddxd/qanon-jfk-cult-has-families-breaking-apart
(Even in Vice's telling, which is clearly desperate for that to be the narrative.)

Ferris