Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's TV Burp revisited ...

Started by EggsLikeABird, November 23, 2021, 01:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

That got an early evening repeat IIRC. Which had a clear redub of a word from the little orphan boy as well, also IIRC.

ProvanFan

I was just bracing myself for a futile 90s TV listings search but here we go, it was half ten.

idunnosomename

he got horribly pushed around the schedules. the early series were shown about 6pm. series 3 was graveyarded.

The first series of Burp was also on post-watershed. There was some cracking content on early Burp, by the time it got to Heather and Wagbo it was just horrible though. It kinda pulled its trousers up by the last series though. But yes, it's not the sort of series you rewatch (although I would if it was easily available)

Captain Z

It's all on YouTube, and I rewatched it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it a lot (as everyone says, it gets quite tired around series 10 and 11). I wouldn't say I feel particularly nostalgic for that period but it's also an interesting documentation of noughties culture.

"Go home if you don't like it"

DrGreggles

I remember when he had his Alan Sugar doll wobbling on top of a jelly for 30 seconds while the Hawaii 5-0 theme tune played, then Harry turned to the camera and said "You're watching ITV 1".

idunnosomename

always amazed how shit the title sequence was though and how they never improved it or even lampshaded it

Captain Z

I remember saying the exact words in a previous thread, which must have been relatively recent, but it's also amazing how the show was almost fully formed even in its pilot episode.

https://youtu.be/rya47TG4WaQ

Mobbd

Quote from: Captain Z on November 24, 2021, 12:41:51 AMI remember saying the exact words in a previous thread, which must have been relatively recent, but it's also amazing how the show was almost fully formed even in its pilot episode.

https://youtu.be/rya47TG4WaQ

This is such a strange amalgamation of The Harry Hill Show and You've Been Framed. Like Denis Norden morphed 20% of the way to Tim and Eric. As I said in my earlier post, I don't really like this. But it was probably the natural way for him to go. I just wish it could be a bit less ITV.

That HH trope he opens with here about being dressed up as someone and then assuring us it's actually just himself in disguise ("the power of suggestion!") is so great. I just love it.

There's a silly thing I do at home sometimes when I announce my presence in a room by saying, "It's-a-me, Mario. Hah. Not really, it's just me. Mobbd. Can you imagine?" (Yes, the hours DO fly by, ACTUALLY). Occurs to me only now that the roots of that are obviously in Harry Hill. GOAL!

elastoplastthefasterplast

Quote from: Mobbd on November 24, 2021, 10:49:38 AMThere's a silly thing I do at home sometimes when I announce my presence in a room by saying, "It's-a-me, Mario. Hah. Not really, it's just me. Mobbd. Can you imagine?" (Yes, the hours DO fly by, ACTUALLY). Occurs to me only now that the roots of that are obviously in Harry Hill. GOAL!

There's a similar and lovely little throwaway joke in the first of the Morris Music Shows which I often recall - he opens with a clip of I Am The One And Only, and cuts it off with "haha only joking, or am I?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mobbd on November 23, 2021, 02:14:34 PMI think he was utterly in thrall to it and wanted to share his commentaries with us. Basically Gogglebox.

Charlie Brooker is yer man for showing us what bollocks TV was. He seemed to be someone who once loved TV (citing things like Civilisation and Clive Anderson as good golden-era telly) and became a TV critic at a moment when it was increasingly about washed-up weather forecasters eating kangaroo anus. He was disappointed with what telly had become. Harry fucking loved it all, especially the ur examples of mainstream piss like Emmerdale.

A lot of people enjoy Emmerdale, Snobbd.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 23, 2021, 05:16:23 PMalthough he gave You've Been Framed the kick up the arse it so badly needed, that's really not saying much (and some of his work on that is problematic too)
I don't have any sense of his time on YBF getting lazier, as I didn't really make a point of catching it, but the unbelievably lazy "let's pretend this person who is roughly the same shape as a famous is actually the famous person" gag seemed to make up around 75% of every episode and I got very bored of it.

Mobbd

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 24, 2021, 07:31:53 PMA lot of people enjoy Emmerdale, Snobbd.

You got me. And to be fair, I liked Flathead Fisher.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 24, 2021, 07:53:46 PMI don't have any sense of his time on YBF getting lazier, as I didn't really make a point of catching it, but the unbelievably lazy "let's pretend this person who is roughly the same shape as a famous is actually the famous person" gag seemed to make up around 75% of every episode and I got very bored of it.

They actually did a couple of 'celebrity specials'.

Mind you - the conceit that every small boy pratfall is actually Tom Cruise is fine with me.

He quite regularly portrays John Barrowman as a predatory exhibitionist a way which you could have considered homophobic, if we didn't know what we now do...

I was surprised how funny Alien Fun Capsule turned out to be (ie quite funny).

canadagoose

Remember this about the time TV Burp ended? Strange content, a bit lowest-common-denominator but snobby at the same time. HAHA FLATSCREEN TV LIKE THE POORS BUY EVEN THOUGH THEY CANT AFFORD IT!!!

Avril Lavigne

"She's a bloke, Roy!" and ripping off Steve Oedekerk's thumb movies were the nails in the 'I Wanna Baby' coffin lid of my love for Harry.

Rolf Lundgren

The great thing about it was there was always something laugh out loud funny every week. Harry was the perfect person to do a show like that and for the most part managed to include whoever he was laughing at in the joke though yes there is some problematic and at times, downright horrible stuff. It did get far too cynical as it went on, surely a result of fatigue for Harry and all the writers needing to watch so much television every week.

The level of detail they went to for what could have been a knocked off laughing at clips show was staggering. It was to the show's credit that they always managed to get the people on they were talking about or could find material in something as unremarkable as a radiator that looked a bit like a face in Casualty.

What's remarkable is how Harry absolutely managed to fashion this opportunity into becoming a mainstream personality which I doubt anyone saw coming.

Twonty Gostelow

His autobiography's just out. I wonder if he addresses the punching-down snobbery accusations.

Captain Z

Attention to detail is spot on, specifically call-back gags were another strong point of the show. Even though I should have been expecting them they still regularly took me by surprise.

Take the pilot episode for example, the "TV Highlight Of The Week" is Corrie's Tyrone trying to act happy to receive the Travis CD twice. A good enough throwaway laugh to fill a few seconds of an ITV show. Then in part 2 Harry is on the set of Corrie as part of a different joke, bumps into Tyrone and, of course, has a gift for him...

Bigfella

I remember a bit when he plays a clip of Ashley from Corrie delivering a line and not a single word is comprehensible.  He repeats the clip twice.  Still nothing!  Surprising that the Corrie producer let it slip through.

thr0b

I made this a few weeks back, and I'm still disappointed Harry didn't get to tackle it for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDdlwUJ18R8

idunnosomename

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on November 30, 2021, 08:28:25 PM"She's a bloke, Roy!" and ripping off Steve Oedekerk's thumb movies were the nails in the 'I Wanna Baby' coffin lid of my love for Harry.
nails like a finger's nail

shlug

At the time I lumped TV Burp in with all the other trash ITV excuses for comedy.

Decided to rewatch some as a result of this thread but think my teenage self made a fairly accurate assessment. It's all a bit lowest common denominator.

The Lurker

I can't find it now but I think he did say he regrets making I Wanna Baby. As he should, of course.

Adding onto that, I remember a bit of TV Burp when he mocked someone for being a fussy eater and made a joke about them being fat. They ended up doing a bit with Harry in the studio, they must have been able to laugh at themselves to do that. The show did certainly show us with celebs were game for a laugh. Bear Grylls, her who played Heather on Eastenders. Did Paul Burrell come on and hit Harry with a custard pie? Someone of his ilk did anyway.

I loved it when it was on, no doubt it wouldn't be for me now but whenever Harry Hill gets a mention anywhere I always have "ear cataracts?!" going on in a loop in my head for a bit.