Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 23, 2021, 05:34:59 AMYou won't regret it, especially when they get older.  It only takes one thing to drain a couple of grand overnight.

Yeah this is it really. They're 7 years old now (started buying the 7+ cat food which was an emotional change!) so as they pass middle age their health and happiness becomes more crucial for us.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: mothman on November 23, 2021, 12:28:36 AMReece has picked you, Morty. You're his now. Sorry, can't help it, those are the rules.
I don't think my hands could take it. Luckily, as well as other volunteers there, there's a bunch of pet behaviour people, and I think they're working on him. He is incredibly cute, though. There was a big old black cat there too who climbed on to the sofa behind me and started grooming my head, they must have liked the sweat from all the work.

If you move to a new place and don't know anyone, volunteering with cats is a good shout. Because, new people, and cats.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Janie Jones

Quote from: Buelligan on September 20, 2021, 09:48:16 PMI've been slightly preoccupied recently, still am.  I look after (feed) wild cats.  Recently a really vile old cunt has been harassing me over them, threatening me and putting up cages to trap them.  So you can imagine, it's been rather stressy (and still is). 

This sounds horrible for you Buelligan, I hope things improve soon. I know you're a tough cookie but being threatened in your own home village is rotten. Isn't trapping cats illegal?

How's your little feral one settling in?

Pink Gregory

Where our Buellers lives out in the sticks I imagine a right bastard could probably get away with it, sadly.

Icehaven

Be nice to think it'd also be easy to get away with slitting the cunt's fucking throat too.

Get Malcy to send over the evil neighbour cat. Everyone's a winner.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on November 22, 2021, 12:13:33 PMSorry to hear about your puss, Brain Freeze. 

Thanks, there was an immense sense of relief for a few weeks as we knew he was at peace and we didnt need to be constantly monitoring him and dreading having to make the decision but I've started to miss him a lot more in recent days.

Got busy with a paving slab and a dremel. Ok for first attempt I think.

The lego came up clean as well, in a pillowcase, four washes through the machine with biological, a good wash with surgical spirit and once more through the washing machine. Good as new. Biological followed by surgical spirit is great for cat piss.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Brian Freeze on November 25, 2021, 02:28:20 PMThanks, there was an immense sense of relief for a few weeks as we knew he was at peace and we didnt need to be constantly monitoring him and dreading having to make the decision but I've started to miss him a lot more in recent days.

The lego came up clean as well, in a pillowcase, four washes through the machine with biological, a good wash with surgical spirit and once more through the washing machine. Good as new. Biological followed by surgical spirit is great for cat piss.

You did Eddy proud, that looks awesome and the engraved words are fantastic :)

holyzombiejesus

Any tips on how to drastically reduce the stink from litter trays? Due to brexit, there's a shortage of what is technically known as kitten jabs so may have to keep these two inside until Easter. Had cats before but not known any to make as much of a stink as these 2. Got Catsan litter and have added bicarb/ some grey powder from the pet aisle in the supermarket but it's still awful, even though we take the turds out as soon as a bit after they get deposited.

imitationleather

We use World's Best Cat Litter. Ignoring the embarrassing name, it is actually really good stuff and reduces the smell.

Well, for the piss anyway. I think for their turds the only thing you can do is flush those fuckers as soon as they're dropped. Once we've got rid of them there's no lasting odour, though.

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 24, 2021, 08:26:41 PMGet Malcy to send over the evil neighbour cat. Everyone's a winner.

Plan. The little prick just made a reappearance for the first time since costing me a fortune again. Narrowly missed a smack in the face.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 29, 2021, 06:54:34 PMAny tips on how to drastically reduce the stink from litter trays

I used Bob Martin's Stay Fresh once or twice. It's just an odour eater that worked well.

Quote from: imitationleather on November 29, 2021, 06:57:41 PMI think for their turds the only thing you can do is flush those fuckers as soon as they're dropped.

Yeah ASAP with the shit. I have a small flat so there has been many a morning where I haven't needed an alarm clock to get up for work. The smell gives you SAS abilities to deal with it in seconds.

Kankurette

I flush Gary's turds down the bog and burn a scented candle.

Any tips for wrangling a large angry cunt of a cat into a carrier? He's due for jabs and I am dreading the thought of trying to get him into his carrier. When I tried putting him in it, he went mental and if I hadn't had gloves and a coat on, I'd have had to go to A&E.

imitationleather

Maybe it's too late if he associates the carrier with bad times already, but having the carrier out and accessible for him for a long time before he needs to go to the vet can help. We do that with ours and it means they often get in it themselves to have a sleep or a chill or whatever.

Brian Freeze

Is the design of your cat carrier suitable to allow Gary to be lowered into it back legs first? Or can it be propped up?
That can sometimes help as being able to see where you are trying to shove them often has predictable results.

Kankurette

mothman

Dancing In The Moonlight considers rewr... oh no wait that doesn't work.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brian Freeze on November 25, 2021, 02:28:20 PMThanks, there was an immense sense of relief for a few weeks as we knew he was at peace and we didnt need to be constantly monitoring him and dreading having to make the decision but I've started to miss him a lot more in recent days.

This is beautiful. You did him proud.

Buelligan

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 24, 2021, 01:09:09 PMThis sounds horrible for you Buelligan, I hope things improve soon. I know you're a tough cookie but being threatened in your own home village is rotten. Isn't trapping cats illegal?

How's your little feral one settling in?

Ah, thanks Janie, that's really kind of you to say.  It was very distressing, just worrying all the time about whether he'd caught any (and what he was doing to them).  Did manage to release quite a few, including some really little kittens. 

Fucking hell, I really do not know how people live with themselves.  It is illegal but this place is not exactly law-abiding. He's taken the traps away now, I created a bit of a stink about it, hopefully it shamed him.

Since then, I've had two bereavements within a week of each other, my water-heater died and my cave flooded, so, you know, life can always get worse. 

Really very sorry indeed to see your Eddy passed Brian, you done him proud.

The feral's smashing, living with me now (because of the trap cunt).  He looks like a tiny lynx, bobbed tail (from birth), fluffy ears, turquoise eyes.  Small and soulful, kisses my nose when I wake.

Cerys

Quote from: imitationleather on November 30, 2021, 08:32:55 AMMaybe it's too late if he associates the carrier with bad times already, but having the carrier out and accessible for him for a long time before he needs to go to the vet can help. We do that with ours and it means they often get in it themselves to have a sleep or a chill or whatever.

Yeah, we do that with ours.  They've been known to battle over who gets to snooze in there.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Kankurette on November 30, 2021, 10:11:29 AMIt's a toploader.

Fair enough, apologies for trying to teach you to suck eggs. The only other thing I can suggest is swaddling him in a towel but you've probably tried that already.

touchingcloth

Got a couple of ~8 week old kittens in the spare room at the moment. They showed up outside the kitchen door while I was feeding my three. I'd FUCKING LOVE to keep them, but I think I'll take them to the lovely municipal vet where we rescued cats 2 and 3 from.

Little kittens just wandering around in the cold?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 01, 2021, 11:49:41 AMLittle @kittens   just wandering around in the cold?

This worries me too

Edit- modified quote strips out @kittens link

Edit- narrator: it doesn't

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 01, 2021, 11:49:41 AMLittle kittens just wandering around in the cold?

Little kittens just wandering around in the cold.

We went to next door to see if they had lost two kittens, and ended up walking away with the third one they had already semi adopted.

They had seen the mother and the three kittens about the place recently, and I guess she's acarpered now they're weaned. Hopefully someone might want to take them from the shelter before Xmas.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 01, 2021, 06:59:35 PMLittle kittens just wandering around in the cold.

We went to next door to see if they had lost two kittens, and ended up walking away with the third one they had already semi adopted.

They had seen the mother and the three kittens about the place recently, and I guess she's acarpered now they're weaned. Hopefully someone might want to take them from the shelter before Xmas.

Eh, nothing else to say but you're fantastic for taking in the little fur ball, particularly as you had pussycats of your own to take care of. Thank you.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on December 04, 2021, 05:39:39 PMEh, nothing else to say but you're fantastic for taking in the little fur ball, particularly as you had pussycats of your own to take care of. Thank you.

They were only here one night. And like I say we took them to the same rescue centre two of our own cats are from which was a lovely place, so I feel no guilt for having handed them over :)

mothman

Did you get pictures though? We need kitten pictures!!

touchingcloth

Alberon

So last sunday my 85 year old mum phones me up and says she's sprained her wrist. The local walk-in centre has been taken over by Covid vaccinations so I end up taking her straight to A&E.

I thought mum's hand looked more swollen than her wrist and she tells me her cat dabbed her quite hard a couple of days previously.

As you can probably guess from the thread this is in it turned out mum had an infection caused by the cat scratch rather than a strain. Her cat is a rescue and only tolerates my mum, I've seen it in the flesh just three or four times in about eight years. Even with my mum the cat can have a bit of a temper from time to time.

Mum ended up being admitted to hospital for three days on intravenous antibiotics. She's at home now and the hand is slowly going down. Never realised cat scratches and bites can be so serious.