Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All Gas No Brakes - Real life Brasseye American reportage

Started by TrenterPercenter, May 03, 2020, 06:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Mister Six

Glad you've brought this thread back - I never got around to checking it out, but the Q convention is good stuff. Not such a fan of the introduction with the deliberately shit blue screen; I preferred the purity of just showing the footage. But I guess it's good for the camera guy to get some screen time.

Blumf

That Hollywood Anti-Vax rally was good, just that guy going from 60 to 0 on his ranting, just down to 'Not much'.

Ferris

Quote from: Blumf on November 25, 2021, 02:53:20 AMThat Hollywood Anti-Vax rally was good, just that guy going from 60 to 0 on his ranting, just down to 'Not much'.

And almost kind of.. embarrassed?

Not to bang on about similarities, but you get a much more human and empathic experience as an interviewer by being the person who is designed to be the butt of the jokes (with giant suits etc), and by just going along with the premise of not really knowing what's going on so can you tell me? Oh interesting, tell me more. It's what Nathan for You was built around.

It's so easy to paint cranks and weirdos as cranks and weirdos to the point where it can feel exploitative at worst and unproductive at best. This approach is simple and disarming, but actually gets several genuinely humanizing reactions because people inadvertently reveal more about themselves.

"Ohhhh this guy went bust and his wife left him, maybe that's why he's into trump flags" for example, and I doubt he would have shared that detail with a mainstream press outlet (and as a result, the audience would have had less of a window into these people's lives).

Really good, but mixed with a nice balance of silliness. Recommend.